3 questions about Sylvari, Thieves, and Rangers.

#1jimbob1991Posted 2/1/2012 4:31:27 PM

1) Thinking about playing a Slyvari - my question is how tall are they in relation to humans? I know there is a height slider but I was wondering if the average default height for a Sylvari male is shorter or taller than a human?

2) Are shortbow thieves considered ranged dps and is Arenanet planning on making bow theives as viable as bow rangers?

3) Is having a pet mandatory for a ranger?

#2FonyPosted 2/1/2012 4:51:26 PM
they are a little shorter than humans, not very much.

yep, you can judge yourself from their PVP videos where Izzy was playing a shortbow thief.

they claim it's all central to the class design but you can dismiss the pet.
---
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii142/gromtor/logo-1.jpg
#3supertoasterzPosted 2/1/2012 5:10:14 PM
Shortbow thieves are pretty tactical dps, their skills all require placement and solid timing in one way or another. But they're pretty solid nevertheless. Completely different from the ranger, but kids ass effective.

As for pets, there's no reason not to have one, it doesn't use up a skill slot, they're extra damage, and you can set up combos with them.
---
Best served with butter.
PSN: GianToyDethmatch (put GFaqs name in subject)
#4WolferPosted 2/1/2012 6:20:59 PM
If you want to use bows and not have a pet, play either a warrior or a thief. Warriors with longbows are probably going to be among the best pure ranged dps, while rangers have more utility (including the pet), and thiefs are a bit closer ranged with the shortbow.
---
"oh **** I have a bag of Milkyways"
http://www.last.fm/user/bwlfro5
#5XialohPosted 2/1/2012 7:20:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6AMonkeyPosted 2/1/2012 11:43:25 PM
Each class/role is meant to be as viable any other so in theory shortbow thief should be as viable as bow ranger. However movesets/strengths differs (shortbow is ranged aoe damage for thief) and whether ANet can balance, who knows.
#7Witch ElfPosted 2/2/2012 12:17:21 AM
Wolfer posted...
If you want to use bows and not have a pet, play either a warrior or a thief. Warriors with longbows are probably going to be among the best pure ranged dps, while rangers have more utility (including the pet), and thiefs are a bit closer ranged with the shortbow.

Warrior longbow is AOE damage, so it probably won't be too great on single-target damage. I think the rifle is more single-target damage.
---
"Aw, what did they do to Jenny?" - The Darkness