why not just f2p

#1markyvarsityPosted 3/8/2012 11:00:00 PM
I really think the f2p model is pretty much the future of mmos. So im just curious why arenanet didn't skip having consumers pay for the box and just give it to us for free. So many more people would play the game if they can just get it for free and then have a cashshop to make up for the money loss. Its working great for team fortress.
#2spritepacPosted 3/8/2012 11:01:07 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3Materious17Posted 3/8/2012 11:09:06 PM
Warned poster aside...

It's probably because they don't want to make their cash shop so huge and ridiculous like LoL's and Maplestory, but they still want to make decent profits.

B2P worked fine for GW1 too, so they are probably just sticking with what works.
---
Official Phanpy Fluttershy of the Pokebeach Pokemon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Clan: 20% cooler than...everything
#4darksoulpriestPosted 3/8/2012 11:22:22 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/15918863.jpg
---
Dynamic Sig Says:
#5Witch ElfPosted 3/8/2012 11:31:50 PM
The same reason nearly every other game in existence charges you money.
---
"Aw, what did they do to Jenny?" - The Darkness
#6Phazor58Posted 3/8/2012 11:34:22 PM
It's very, very difficult to have an f2p game that has only cosmetic items in the cash shop. Some people will go for that, but a lot of people won't. Thus, having the box cost money allows them to have that type of cash shop without worrying about not making money from a large portion of the playerbase. In addition, it takes awhile to recoup your development costs if your only revenue is a cash shop. Box sales give you fast money that you can use to keep developing content.
---
PSN: Phazor58 (Put gamefaqs/gamespot in the message or I will not add you)
Steam: Phaz (Augustus Caesar avatar)
#7random_noobiePosted 3/8/2012 11:42:26 PM
darksoulpriest posted...
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/15918863.jpg
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
LoL IGN: nvmvoidrays
#8AMonkeyPosted 3/9/2012 4:02:14 AM
Because its not sustainable. GW2 will have similar development costs of a AAA game, a cash shop isn't workable unless they nickle and dime us.
#9SolidFischerPosted 3/9/2012 4:20:03 AM
B2P is a much better system than P2P, at least you don't have to pay triple the price (usually) to play the game for a year. Just a one time investment and you can play it forever (or as long as servers are up) like most normal games. A game like this might be hard to run as F2P, they might offer a trial for those curious though.
---
Fear is only what you feel.
#10Dark_Luna3Posted 3/9/2012 4:44:53 AM
That's like saying "Why don't console games just go FTP?".

I don't like how MMOs have to be treated any different. Silly mentality.

BTP (the magical happy-medium) should be the norm IMO.