I know trinity is dead but will one class be favored to bring?

#1Jackofshadows55Posted 3/31/2012 6:26:49 PM
Holy trinity equals dead in this game that i get. But will there be a class that is a must have for a dungeon or pvp group. That im wary of. Certain classes have much more group friendly skills Ie Guardian, Eng, and Ele. I think the other classes should get some more useful supports skills. The splash healing from water attument spells and the med kit/healing turrets might make these guys more worthwhile to bring then say a thief. Another down side to this hopefully people wont be forced into being supports to get through said dungeons. I know this isnt like rift or wow or anything but meta and best specs always seem to raise there ugly heads. And i dont want to be the thief out in the cold cause i don't have enough support
#2MyHeadsOnFirePosted 3/31/2012 6:34:49 PM

AOE healing for allies from say healing rain is extremely little compared to the damage you'll be taking or your own self heal, so no.  As for the area control support, I'm not sure.

#3yakkacruzPosted 3/31/2012 6:37:07 PM
no
almost every mixture of classes can achieve a certain degree of support, all in different ways. this won't change in PvE, but PvP has a metagame that conditionally emphasizes certain tendencies to prepare for, but it's constantly evolving.
---
. . . I'm a genius, not an engineer! - Aramis
#4FonyPosted 3/31/2012 6:40:49 PM
http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/guild-wars-2-attempting-healer-build/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3sowfNMAeA

beast heals.
---
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.
http://i40.tinypic.com/f43dx.jpg
#5im_boredPosted 3/31/2012 7:16:24 PM
"At level 80, it offered a whopping 10 health to whoever was in the path trajectory of my projectile. This is when it became very apparent that the Elementalist would not be able to heal as many had either hoped or said."

I don't even see the point of putting a heal on it if the heal is so low XD
---
I'm not your bro, bro.
#6PijinzPosted 3/31/2012 7:23:21 PM
The terms in use are "control" and "support" for tanks and healers but I like to think of it in terms of "burst tanking" and "burst healing". A Warrior, say, can equip a shield and have the kind of tools that make him invulnerable, but not forever; more like for a few seconds. There's nothing to stop any class from being the first one into a pack of mobs, blowing all their defensive cooldowns, and dodging about until the others happen to bring down the mobs. That's what tanking is like in this game. Also, while there is avoidable damage, there is also superficial damage. A "heal" spec might be able to throw out X heals every Y seconds, and this won't save you if you're playing tank and spank, you should be avoiding damage as much as possible anyway. If you avoid enough damage but not all of it, then the "support" player (or as I like to call it, the "player specced for improved healing throughput") might be able to get you back into a fightable position.
#7Jackofshadows55(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2012 11:39:33 PM
im_bored posted...
"At level 80, it offered a whopping 10 health to whoever was in the path trajectory of my projectile. This is when it became very apparent that the Elementalist would not be able to heal as many had either hoped or said."

I knew that they couldn't Just heal but i didnt know the splash heal was so low so healing rain pretty useless except conditional removal then?
#8_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 4/1/2012 3:46:27 PM
People will always min/max and not all professions are equally good at everything. So I think there will be specific pieces of content where people would want to bring a certain profession and that is fine, as long as the other professions remain viable options.

One simple example. Imagine you are about to do some content where the enemies you encounter stack conditions like crazy. Some professions will be better able to deal with this then others, and this is by design. However, all professions can deal with conditions in some way, so this one profession that excels in this is not a necessity, more like a luxury.
---
I5 760 | MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II | 8GB 1600MHz | WD 1TB 7200Rpm | Corsair VX 550w | CM Gladiator | Samsung S24A350H | Corsair Vengeance K90 | Logitech G500
#9darkace77450Posted 4/1/2012 3:56:29 PM
im_bored posted...

Having not watched the video, did they have any points into Compassion or any traits that boost healing?
#10darkjedilinkPosted 4/1/2012 4:35:17 PM
darkace77450 posted...
im_bored posted...

Having not watched the video, did they have any points into Compassion or any traits that boost healing?

I don't see how min-maxing is going to take a 10hp heal at max level and make that viable. You'd have to increase that by about 30x at max level. Any min-maxing that can make you 30x more potent at healing will make you completely worthless at everything else, so nobody's going to want to group with you.
---
Resistance is TASTY!