Steam and prepurchasing

#1DragonPuppy7Posted 4/9/2012 6:20:38 PM
I plan to pre-purchase this game for the head start and to get into the betas. From what I understand, I need purchase the game through the guild wars 2 website, and I will receive a code that will allow me to get into the betas. Then, later, when the game is released I'm supposed to bring proof of purchase into a retail store in order to get the box that will have a code that I add to my account in order to play the game.

Will there be any way to get the code for activating the game through steam instead of a retail store? I really don't want to have to go to a retail store to get the box, I'd much prefer having it in my steam collection. For the past 2 years every PC game I have purchased I got on steam and I'm hoping to get this game through it as well. If it's not possible to get the code from steam instead of a retail store, does anyone know if Guild Wars 2 will be available on steam when it is released? If so, although I would really like to do the betas and head start, I will probably instead just wait until I can get it on steam.
---
Everyone screen looks some times
#2darksoulpriestPosted 4/9/2012 6:30:10 PM(edited)
if you purchase from buy.guildwars2.com, then you're going to get the digital version, not a retail one.

and no, you can't prepurchase through steam, they said that in a tweet, and I seriously doubt they'll have an "activate a product on steam" option, when you're going to be downloading it anyways from the gw2 website.

and it's guaranteed on steam, just not for prepurchase.
---
Dynamic Sig Says:
#3Stream_BetaPosted 4/9/2012 6:32:29 PM

You cannot do pre-purchasing of GW2 through Steam or attaching a retail code into Steam. For the BWE you will be unable to play GW2 through Steam. At the moment we do not know if GW2 will be on Steam during release. They did inform us that they will have DD services for GW2 once we are closer to the release of GW2, I am guessing it will be on Steam since GW1 was on Steam. Don't see what the problem would be with GW2. So if you really want it on Steam then wait until GW2 is released.

Personally I am gettting the CE of GW2, so that I can play the BWE but also get the 3 day head start. I ALSO want my copy to be on Steam, so what i am going to do is buy it again on Steam when it is released but then sell my CE cd-key copy to a friend.

#4TendonitisPosted 4/9/2012 7:22:53 PM
Stream_Beta posted...
You cannot do pre-purchasing of GW2 through Steam or attaching a retail code into Steam. For the BWE you will be unable to play GW2 through Steam. At the moment we do not know if GW2 will be on Steam during release. They did inform us that they will have DD services for GW2 once we are closer to the release of GW2, I am guessing it will be on Steam since GW1 was on Steam. Don't see what the problem would be with GW2. So if you really want it on Steam then wait until GW2 is released.Personally I am gettting the CE of GW2, so that I can play the BWE but also get the 3 day head start. I ALSO want my copy to be on Steam, so what i am going to do is buy it again on Steam when it is released but then sell my CE cd-key copy to a friend.

The 3 day head start is on all pre-purchases. So, don't buy the CE for only that.
---
Irregardless, I could care less for all intensive purposes, because your a looser.
#5Stream_BetaPosted 4/9/2012 7:29:49 PM

I'm not buying the CE for just that. I'm just pointing out that I will be buying the Steam version also so I can have GW2 on Steam but then still be able to have all the benifits of the CE along with the CE items that I will be getting. IMO the Collector's Edition for ALL games should come with a Steam key, instead of forcing people to buy two versions of your game.

#6_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 4/9/2012 11:37:05 PM
This is something I was wondering as well. I was kinda hoping I could do the pre-purchase (when we have the release date that is) and then activate the game somehow in steam. The way things are, I may just wait and get it on steam but then again, there is no guarantee that the game will be available on steam on the releasedate, though I guess it is likely.
---
I5 760 | MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II | 8GB 1600MHz | WD 1TB 7200Rpm | Corsair VX 550w | CM Gladiator | Samsung S24A350H | Corsair Vengeance K90 | Logitech G500