GW2 In comparison to GW1. Experienced input appreciated.

#1MrFailPosted 4/30/2012 7:59:11 PM
I've seen a few videos, never gotten to actually play the beta. The game looks so different that I feel like it isn't really even similar to GW1. My favorite thing about GW1 was that you could make your character your own with the endless possibilities of skill combinations/ability tree levels. That being said, I've never run any FotM or cookie cutter builds. In GW2, you start off on a predetermined build and there seems to be practically no derivation from it.

On a side note, in a game lacking the trinity, do you really think you will feel like you have done something special for your party when every class is capable(from my understanding) of doing the same thing you do?
#2JtheKitsunePosted 4/30/2012 8:02:43 PM
Yes you start off with a preset build but the build I ended up with was radically different than it. If anything, I think GW2 exceptionally avoids cookie cutting because unlike GW which had thousands of abilities (well, over 1000) and some of them shined and some of them didn't, because of the limits of your build in GW2 they were able to make every single thing awesome so you can pick whatever you want and be pretty damn competitive most of the time. I've heard people complaining about melee, but me as a thief and my guardian friend felt great in melee.

Also, yes, the trinity's gone, but just how useful you are to your teammates has to be felt to be believed. I wouldn't confuse everyone being able to heal and damage as all doing the same things. The way the different classes are able to support each other felt fascinating and effective to me.
#3The_BubPosted 4/30/2012 8:03:08 PM
In GW2 you start off with no build at all, and then you make it into what you want.

You're terribly misinformed.

But you are correct in the first point. Being a veteran of like 5 years of GW1, the games are not similar in any real way.
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_ps3/Lou__Drew
BF3 PSN: Lou__Drew (Two underscores)
#4RasBrigginsPosted 4/30/2012 8:04:22 PM
Sure there were a lot of possibilities in GW1 but lets be honest, were they all great? We've all cut cookies.
*looks at Quick Shot/Needler ranger*
Its not mine, but the cookie tastes good.
#5The_BubPosted 4/30/2012 8:05:43 PM
If you're referring to PvP then yes, you start off with a "premade" build that will allow you to jump in if you want.

The build can be changed radically into an exact opposite playstyle with about five minutes of trait switching and skill choosing though.

I don't get why you would think the builds are all the same?
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_ps3/Lou__Drew
BF3 PSN: Lou__Drew (Two underscores)
#6JtheKitsunePosted 4/30/2012 8:06:27 PM
To clarify what I meant about preset builds: When you first go in to the mists it drops a certain weapon and trait selection on you. The traits can be immediately refunded and different weapons can be purchased for free. Otherwise, yes, you build it from the ground up from nothing.
#7TorkzorPosted 4/30/2012 8:07:32 PM

My favorite thing about GW1 was that you could make your character your own with the endless possibilities of skill combinations/ability tree levels

Me too TC. GW2 lacks this and it sucks :c
---
http://i33.tinypic.com/5bs1m8.jpg
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." - Paper
#8Wedge55Posted 4/30/2012 8:08:05 PM
As this is GameFAQs, not sure if troll or not. I'll bite anyway.

Stylistically it very much felt like a Guild Wars game. Control/combat-wise, it plays like a traditional MMO with some third person action game mechanics mixed in. You only start with a predetermined build when you first go to PvP, however any class I tried in PvP the default builds were subpar. There is plenty of customization, it's just not entirely on a per-skill basis. Between selecting weapons, utility/elite, and passive traits, there's already more choices than for a GW1 character.
#9halokillerzPosted 4/30/2012 8:09:43 PM

i think gw1 allowed ur build to be more customizable but gw2 still does a good job in that area. The only thing i didnt like was it felt like the weapons forced u into picking group of skills instead of letting u pick individual skills.

#10MrFail(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 8:27:41 PM(edited)
The_Bub posted...
In GW2 you start off with no build at all, and then you make it into what you want.

You're terribly misinformed.

I was under the impression that your build path was set in stone and the skills changed a bit as you level up. As I'm writing this, I am realizing that I might be melding D3 and GW2.

But besides that, I enjoyed playing Mo/X in GW1, staring at a bunch of full health bars knowing that me, myself and I was responsible for those not dead party members. Or interrupting clutch spells and abilities as Me/X or R/X and feeling personally accomplished.

I guess you have to experience firsthand like Kitsune says.

Wedge55 posted...
As this is GameFAQs, not sure if troll or not. I'll bite anyway.

Stylistically it very much felt like a Guild Wars game. Control/combat-wise, it plays like a traditional MMO with some third person action game mechanics mixed in. You only start with a predetermined build when you first go to PvP, however any class I tried in PvP the default builds were subpar. There is plenty of customization, it's just not entirely on a per-skill basis. Between selecting weapons, utility/elite, and passive traits, there's already more choices than for a GW1 character.

Not trolling at all. But now that you mention the action mechanics, idk how I feel about the dodge mechanic or even swimming for that matter either.

Thanks for all the responses guys. As a GW1 junkie, I'm just trying to get good reason to buy the game instead of D3 but it just looks like they strayed from the path of what my tastes are.