What's with devs completely changing basic game concepts for sequels?

#1dreamcleaverPosted 5/2/2012 3:11:39 PM
Why did they make GW2 persistent world instead of fully instanced?

This means no heroes/henchmen, no team role oriented creative skill setups, no story personalize instances etc.

I'm sure GW2 is a great game (I'm not in the beta) but judging from the infos it's just not GW anymore. :(

Is there at least fast travel around the world from the map? Or do I have to hire some crappy "taxi" service?
#2FelazanPosted 5/2/2012 3:14:07 PM
Because GW2 is not actualy GW2 its actualy DAoC 2 in disguise.
#3NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 5/2/2012 3:17:10 PM(edited)
1. Yes, there is a fast travel to unlockable waypoints, but it costs money depending on how far away it is from your current location. Traveling to different waypoints within one of the larger cities if you're in that city is free from what I saw.

2. Your personal story is actually 100% instanced.
#4The_BubPosted 5/2/2012 3:17:55 PM
You really haven't seen anything about the game in the past five years have you?

We've known since it's announcement that the game would be nothing like the original.

Good news though; if you liked the original you can still go play it.
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_ps3/Lou__Drew
BF3 PSN: Lou__Drew (Two underscores)
#5dreamcleaver(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2012 3:20:47 PM(edited)
Nope, I usually don't track game development till the release date has come close.

My question in the title is still valid though.

why call a game GW2 when it's not GW?
#6random_noobiePosted 5/2/2012 3:22:09 PM
dreamcleaver posted...

This means no heroes/henchmen, no team role oriented creative skill setups, no story personalize instances etc.

I'm sure GW2 is a great game (I'm not in the beta) but judging from the infos it's just not GW anymore. :(

Is there at least fast travel around the world from the map? Or do I have to hire some crappy "taxi" service?

GW2 =/= GW1. that's good because GW2 is better.

GW2 is full persistent because that's how they wanted it to be.

there's instant travel, yes.
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
LoL IGN: nvmvoidrays
#7NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 5/2/2012 3:22:30 PM
dreamcleaver posted...

Because it shares the setting of the first game?
#8dreamcleaver(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2012 3:26:58 PM
NoGaRdKniGht posted...
dreamcleaver posted...

Because it shares the setting of the first game?

Ah, you mean the one where there are dudes swinging swords, shooting arrows and wielding magic against demonic enemies? Gotcha.
#9_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 5/2/2012 3:33:05 PM
Yeah ethey are using the name and lore, but they were clear from the start that despite the fact that the game is called "Guild Wars 2", it will not be a "guild wars 2" in the sense that they did not create the same type of game with the same mechanics. I agree that it can definitely catch some people of guard, especially since nowadays with the Call of Duties and Assassins creeds people expect the "sequel" to basically be the same as the original game.
---
I5 760 | MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II | 8GB 1600MHz | WD 1TB 7200Rpm | Corsair VX 550w | CM Gladiator | Samsung S24A350H | Corsair Vengeance K90 | Logitech G500
#10DraconisRexPosted 5/2/2012 3:34:33 PM
dreamcleaver posted...

Funny thing is... It is... You're right, the whole game is incredibly different in many fundamental ways...

Yet it's, at some ineffable level, the same. And, at another level, better. I liked GW1. But in my stable of games it was always #2 to some ofther game. #2 to Eve Online. #2 to LOTRO. #2 to Fallen Earth.

And, in 2010, when my computer blew up and I lost all my account information... Because I was really not playing it at all... Just logging in once a week to keep my 'active guildmember' status. I didn't even bother, until a month ago, to go through all the secuirty questions and what-not with customer service to get the account back.
---
It's not 2004, stop making excuses...