GW2 killed before it even comes out by the Elder Scrolls Online

#1WarBeaglePosted 5/3/2012 8:55:57 AM
OK, so I'm joking with the topic but the announcement today of The Elder Scrolls Online shows just how cut-throat the MMO genre is and will be in the years to come.
---
The above statement is an opinion. Deal with it.---
Hatefact: non-PC statement that happens to be true.
#2MBO-SephyPosted 5/3/2012 8:57:31 AM(edited)
Seeing how much of a crappy bugfest TES has been lately, and with so many exploitable loopholes, I really wonder how TESO will turn out.

Will they release mod tools for the players to fix the bugs for them as well?

Seems like these days, MMOs are the go-to genre if you want quick cash.
#3george43Posted 5/3/2012 9:01:41 AM(edited)
A TES MMO will fail horribly and I love the TES series.

TES needs to be like a Diablo design with social hubs and an instanced world.
#4synchroschemePosted 5/3/2012 9:01:24 AM
I can't imagine Bethesda being the ones working on the MMO, are they?

I would expect them to have a different team to work on that while they make...whatever it is they would make.

But yeah, it seems that any time there is a universe with a lot of lore and races/nations/what-have-you that the thing to do is to make an MMO about it.
What next, Mass Effect MMO?
---
3DS FC: 0044-3142-4910
#5WarBeagle(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 9:03:36 AM

A TES MMO will fail horribly and I love the TES series.

Maybe, or if done correctly, it has the potential to be an MMO that actually has role-playing in it.

I don't think the chances of that are particularly high, but its possible given the gameplay in the series. The more obvious problem would be the bug issue Bethesda is infamous for.
---
The above statement is an opinion. Deal with it.---
Hatefact: non-PC statement that happens to be true.
#6Sir_RaZZoPosted 5/3/2012 9:03:40 AM
Just looked up Elder Scrolls online. I'll hold my breath for now, but as an 11 year MMO vet, faction based PvP DOES NOT WORK. It never ends up balanced and the population always ends up lopsided with one faction constantly stomping all over the other. It gets even worse when you split the playerbase into three factions. Still maybe it's just more like FFXI factions, I'll have to wait and see.
---
It will rain soon. Blood will fall like rain...-Karel
Member of The Phoenix Force
#7MyHeadsOnFirePosted 5/3/2012 9:03:50 AM

Bethesda aren't doing it.  Also, I found Skyrim's combat to be terribly lacking.

#8PijinzPosted 5/3/2012 9:06:10 AM
synchroscheme posted...
What next, Mass Effect MMO?

That would make more sense than TES, given that they've actually got a working multiplayer mode. Nothing about TES gameplay makes sense online. It'll be an MMO set in the TES universe, but it won't be a TES game, not in my mind.
#9SnotnazePosted 5/3/2012 9:07:34 AM
Swordmaster Karel posted...
Just looked up Elder Scrolls online. I'll hold my breath for now, but as an 11 year MMO vet, faction based PvP DOES NOT WORK. It never ends up balanced and the population always ends up lopsided with one faction constantly stomping all over the other. It gets even worse when you split the playerbase into three factions. Still maybe it's just more like FFXI factions, I'll have to wait and see.

How does splitting the playerbase into 3 factions make it worse? just curious.
#10MBO-SephyPosted 5/3/2012 9:09:33 AM(edited)
Snotnaze posted...
Swordmaster Karel posted...

How does splitting the playerbase into 3 factions make it worse? just curious.

We'll find out when The Secret World launches, I guess. But in theory, if in WoW there's already awful disparity between Horde and Alliance numbers per server, just imagine a 3-way split. There will always be 2 factions ganging up on the third. That sounds awfully worse.