A bad idea on principle, should take out of GW2

#1BowtotheTWIGPosted 5/10/2012 6:40:54 PM
Conversion of Gems to Gold.

If someone wanted to, they could buy anything they wanted with no effort.

I understand gear is highly balanced at high level (or assumed to be), so buying gear wouldn't be that useful. There are other obvious advantages though, such as profession-grinding.

I doubt it'll be a huge problem, and I assume the gem to gold ratio will be extremely poor. But the issue is still there. Direct exchange between Real World and In Game currency...
---
Ratings FF Games (out of 10): I 7, II 5, III 6, IV 9.5, V 7, VI 8, VII 8, VIII 9.5, IX 8.5, X 9, X2 7, XII 6, XIII 8, XIII2 7.5XXIV 2 FFTA 9, FFTA2 8, FF4HoL 5.
#2IndrickBorealePosted 5/10/2012 6:45:53 PM(edited)
There will always be this relationship between real money and gold even without an in-game way to purchase gold...this simply cuts out the middle man and makes it more transparent - seems pretty good to me.
---
Windows 7 64 bit
Phenom X4 955 9800GTX 4096MB RAM
#3FdshadowPosted 5/10/2012 6:56:07 PM
There will always be a way to cut corners in a game, from selling accounts to selling in-game goods. You can't deny it, some people would rather buy their way to the top, and that's alright. Who cares if they walk around with shiny armor or whatever they can get with it?

There's always people willing to spend more time and/or money into their game, simple as that. If you think it's 'Unfair', such is life, get over it. I myself take pride in knowing I didn't fall into the trap of wanting to squeeze the life out of a game by throwing money at it.

Oh, and I'd rather have the company itself selling gold than doing like WoW and allowing a third-party market to establish themselves within the game to boost the number of active users, because that's just disrespectful for their customers. They could kill them at any time, but they won't because shareholders wouldn't like seeing 30-40% of the playerbase vanish overnight.
#4kingofthekidsPosted 5/10/2012 6:59:37 PM
Someone else blowing their own cash to purchase in-game gold, items, etc. has absolutely zero effect on me or how I enjoy the game. I don't see how it would be game-breaking for another player to pay for stuff you can get for free just by playing. That makes a fool out of them and them alone.

And if the BWE is anything to go by, it's going to be fairly easy to save up a lot of gold, so long as you don't overextend yourself on waypoint uses.
#5random_noobiePosted 5/10/2012 7:16:59 PM
BowtotheTWIG posted...
I understand gear is highly balanced at high level (or assumed to be), so buying gear wouldn't be that useful. There are other obvious advantages though, such as profession-grinding.

profession grinding is probably the only actual benefit to the cash shop, but even then, you might save a couple hours of crafting, but spend an extra however much money rather then spending those extra hours. it's like someone else calculated. apparently, buying XP boosts from 1-80 would cost you $127 dollars, but it'd only save you like 10 hours... allegedly.

and, as for gear, ALL gear in the game at ALL levels has the same stat totals, but the stats are distributed differently.

level 80 chest piece A has 300 power and 300 toughness. chest piece B has 300 precision and 300 vitality. same stat total (600), but its in different stats. that's how all gear works.
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
LoL IGN: nvmvoidrays
#6havok718Posted 5/10/2012 7:27:59 PM
Buy everything they wanted? When was the last time you played an MMO? "Everything" can't be bought, not even in F2Ps.
#7ArrenrenPosted 5/10/2012 7:36:17 PM
If they want to pay for it then let them. Who cares? Just work for your's and itll be free.
#8SpecOps_StrykerPosted 5/10/2012 7:39:51 PM
Arrenren posted...
If they want to pay for it then let them. Who cares? Just work for your's and itll be free.

This
#9Gibble1Posted 5/10/2012 7:58:51 PM
Someone on here linked to this article before, it's pretty good.

http://greibach.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/the-economy-of-gems/

At the very least it shows how GW2's system is good compared to some of the other ones out there. And I agree with this on the criticism of these other games.
---
I was a dancer all along.
#10ivan11235Posted 5/10/2012 7:59:18 PM
You can't convert gems to gold, you can trade gems for gold. Big difference. No gold is being added to the economy so it can't flood the market, and if everyone buys gems then pretty soon gems will be worthless.

What it will do is undercut and drive away gold farmers, who legitimately will ruin the economy. Same idea as the RMAH in Diablo 3.

So no, it's not a bad idea on principle, it just depends on how it's implemented and balanced.
---
while(1) fork();