Really liking what i am seeing but...

#11zach12_2Posted 5/31/2012 10:34:53 PM
You don't have to use real money for anything beyond buying the game itself. The items you get in the auction house can be bought with in game gold. You can buy gems with in game gold or real money. Items from the gem market are marginally useful and don't give the player a significant advantage.

Guild Wars tends to work like this. You collect armor in game. This armor gives you a statistical benefit. You buy costumes to go over your armor with real money (or buy doing quests or events in game) that make you look cool and do nothing else.
---
If someone buys a book, then sells that book to another. The publisher gets nothing. The used video game market should work the exact same way.
#12Duke DarkwoodPosted 5/31/2012 11:25:30 PM
It's like a regular video game. Buy it once and play forever.

This is correct. I must have missed out on when there became a distinction between "Free to Play" games and "Buy to Play" games, because until GW2, I always heard the former term used to describe both.

But in the short time on this board, it seems there are four distinct categories:

Free to Play (F2P): Totally free. You just download it, and voila. It's there. Everything is there.
Buy to Play (B2P): You pay to buy the game.... and that's it. Not a dime more (unless it has a cash shop and you want anything it sells).
Pay to Play (P2P): You pay to buy the game.... and you pay a month later... and a month after that... and a month after that... forever....

Pay to Win (P2W): Not a separate category, but it refers to an MMO with an "unfair" cash shop - things that will give an unequivocal advantage (most commonly, equipment) to succeeding at the game. (From the looks of it, GW2 draws pretty close to this line, but, as far as I've seen, does not actually cross it. A few of its "convenience consumables" are a smidgen too convenient. But you cans till do anything you want without them. If people want to pay money for a temporary XP boost or other things like that, all it does is speed things up. Why anyone would want to rush like that, I never did understand.)

As for your question about auction houses - yeah, it's called the Trading Post, and you can actually use its interface from ANYWHERE - but must actually go to one of the Trading Post locations to pick up your items or profits. (Because the game is still in beta phases, this may be subject to change. Or may not.)
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#13lostnPosted 6/1/2012 12:48:08 AM
zach12_2 posted...
You don't have to use real money for anything beyond buying the game itself. The items you get in the auction house can be bought with in game gold. You can buy gems with in game gold or real money. Items from the gem market are marginally useful and don't give the player a significant advantage.

Guild Wars tends to work like this. You collect armor in game. This armor gives you a statistical benefit. You buy costumes to go over your armor with real money (or buy doing quests or events in game) that make you look cool and do nothing else.

If you buy a costume with real money, none of your original gear you're actually wearing will show up? Or will the costume be worn ON TOP OF your real gear? Does that mean you can hide any gear you're wearing at all, and it wouldn't be possible for a person to tell what gear you have unless they /inspect you?
#14zach12_2Posted 6/1/2012 12:59:48 AM
Costumes normally cover up everything. (At least they did in GW1.)

The thing is there's little advantage in it.
In structured pvp (5v5) everyone uses preset gear based on class.
In WvW there's too much chaos to see what anyone is wearing anyway.
---
If someone buys a book, then sells that book to another. The publisher gets nothing. The used video game market should work the exact same way.
#15dejavu1982(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 1:09:07 AM
Okay thank you for the info, can't stop watching YouTube videos on it, especially the pvp as that's what I'm interested in, so far its a must buy.
#16KirynTheClericPosted 6/1/2012 7:25:02 AM
Well if it's a must buy, if you prepurchase you get access to each beta weekend event that's left before release, so you can get a taste of the game and then cry because it's not the full thing and you have to wait for release, just like the rest of us. ;_;

Also, there's a beta next weekend in case you actually did want to prepurchase.
---
Mods saying pokemon reproduction topics aren't related to the game is like saying theory-talk isn't allowed, and yet theory-talk IS allowed. Hmm, go figure...
#17DraconisRexPosted 6/1/2012 7:55:12 AM
Duke Darkwood posted...

Pay to Win (P2W): Not a separate category, but it refers to an MMO with an "unfair" cash shop - things that will give an unequivocal advantage (most commonly, equipment) to succeeding at the game. (From the looks of it, GW2 draws pretty close to this line, but, as far as I've seen, does not actually cross it. A few of its "convenience consumables" are a smidgen too convenient. But you cans till do anything you want without them. If people want to pay money for a temporary XP boost or other things like that, all it does is speed things up. Why anyone would want to rush like that, I never did understand.)

No. Everyting but the vanity items in the 'cash shop' can be purchased with in-game gold you sell to gold buyers or just plain-old drops in the game.

Here is some leaked cash-shop screenshots:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/28104-cash-shop-items-leak/

As you can see, there's nothing in the cash shop that materially changes the game. Those potions, like XP boost, Karma boost and crafting boost... They drop in the game. I have them on some of my characters. Mystic keys/boxes, they drop and aren't really all that great anyway.

So, about all you can get is 'cooler looking' stuff. And some bank-tabs (I have five for 8 characters in GW1 and they're still not full), earlier access to bigger bags (you won't have workr your wat to crafting 12-slot bags, just jump right in), some character slots (I'll be getting three of those right off the bat),

So, I don't see where you can say it really is skirting at the edges of pay-to-win. Anything that improves you, drops in the game already. You grind up some gold and buy some gems if anyone is selling (and people will) and can buy all the things that don't drop.
---
It's not 2004, stop making excuses...
#18zach12_2Posted 6/1/2012 8:03:02 AM
You can buy gems with gold so you can theoretically buy any cash shop item with in game gold.
---
#19WarBeaglePosted 6/1/2012 9:47:22 AM
dejavu1982 posted...
Okay thank you for the info, can't stop watching YouTube videos on it, especially the pvp as that's what I'm interested in, so far its a must buy.

It's definitely a must-buy if you are a PvP MMOer. Jury is still out on its longevity as far as PvE is concerned.
---
Hatefact: non-PC statement that happens to be true. ---
Diablo 3: Floyd#1575
#20CruxisInhibitorPosted 6/1/2012 9:54:57 AM
This game breaks the mold on the pay model of MMOs. This game has more production value and heart than any other current MMO, no sub fees, and best features to date. Go ahead and try to defend another current MMO being better.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD