The BWEs killed my desire to play Mesmer

#1WiNGSPANTTPosted 6/11/2012 10:19:09 AM
In Guild Wars 1 I loved Mesmers. It was a whole class built around punishing your targets for doing whatever they were doing. Attacking, not attacking, casting spells, moving. It was basically a trickster class that let you feel like Loki or something.

In Guild Wars 2 they had the opportunity to continue this, especially with clones you could use to confuse enemies, and lots of weapon sets to create interesting spells.

But the clones are ultimately boring. They don't fool enemies at all, even when you swap places with your clone. They die quickly, so their shatter mechanic is rarely used. And the shatter mechanic is so shallow, what's the point? While other classes get extra weapon sets and spells, the Mesmer gets four types of grenades which aren't even useful if you go for a low/no illusion build.

Basically I feel like they took out the unique feel of Mesmers from Guild Wars 1 and gave them a class mechanic that pales in comparison to everyone else's. Although I HATED Elementalists in the past they might be more fun now.
---
My site: http://www.TopTierTactics.com
T3 is all about extremely serious competitive gaming news & opinion articles.
#2NicoGrimmPosted 6/11/2012 10:20:33 AM(edited)
It doesn't look like they know what to do with them yet. I mean, illusions doing 0 damage in BWE2 was obviously a mistake.
---
Make me dance, I want to surrender.
#3NiodenPosted 6/11/2012 10:22:34 AM
They said the mesmer is still being worked on
#4MechangmenowPosted 6/11/2012 10:24:26 AM
Go play Mesmer in PvP or WvW. Clones definitely have a purpose there... so many times I have wasted my hammer skills on a stupid clone.
---
FfC Website: firefightcompany.com
Youtube: Mechangmenows
#5SpLycePosted 6/11/2012 11:50:21 AM
NicoGrimm posted...
It doesn't look like they know what to do with them yet. I mean, illusions doing 0 damage in BWE2 was obviously a mistake.

There are 2 types of illusions. Clones, which look exactly like your character, are meant to do little to no damage. They're specifically for distraction.

Phantasms, on the other hand, look like ghostly versions of your character. These are the illusions that actually dish out damage. And as I could tell, they worked as intended during this bwe.
#6NeoMonkPosted 6/11/2012 11:55:46 AM
Yeah i can't say mesmers are strong once you start fighting them but their clones are an annoyance big time. Every mesmer i came across on pvp ran away more than engis... and thats a proud engineer tradition to run away lol
but they use the clones to distract and run so i dunno who they're killing with that strategy but it sure is annoying.
---
"How am i spelling?" Please call 800-WHO-CARES or online at Imlonely.com
#7WiNGSPANTT(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2012 12:19:08 PM
I just feel the whole illusion thing makes Mesmers very narrow compared to Engineers or Necros or Elementalists whose class abilities give them a lot of options.
---
My site: http://www.TopTierTactics.com
T3 is all about extremely serious competitive gaming news & opinion articles.
#8darksoulpriestPosted 6/11/2012 12:23:42 PM
Engineers also are being worked on, because a lot of options means jack squat if a decent number of them are gimped.

Though luckily, that means you have more time to play dotp 2013.
---
Dynamic Sig Says:
#9george43Posted 6/11/2012 12:37:29 PM
GW1 mesmer design doesn't work in GW2 PvE design at all.
#10Jackofshadows55Posted 6/11/2012 12:42:09 PM
so far mesmer was my least favorite of the 6 classes i played clone mechanic is lame