Why do people hate "gearing up" so much?

#101Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/26/2012 9:48:02 AM
TiegerJD posted...
YamaChan posted...
Here is an amazing idea guys!

If you don't like the systems that GW2 has in place and would prefer it implement what another MMO has.
Then don't play GW2, go play the MMO that has all the features you want!

Stop trying to make GW2 like every other MMO. When from DAY1 Anet have stated that is exactly what it wont be.

Posts like these. Yeah, they need to stop. They're stupid, pointless and don't address anything. Just don't bother.

I could reply with exactly the same.
Topics like these. Yeah, they need to stop. They're stupid, pointless and show that the TC hasn't followed anything regarding GW2 for the past 5 years. Otherwise they wouldn't want to implement something Anet have outright stated since day1 will not be in this game. Just dont bother.

And with regards to this:

These are just the facts. All the battlegrounds and dungeons in the digital world can't keep you playing if you get bored of playing your character because you feel like it hasn't changed in any significant way since you hit 80 and really not since you acquired all your skills.

Explain how GW1 has people that have been playing for over 6 years then with an almost identical system?

Oh yeah, that's right. Just like Duke Darkwood has already said.
Different games are designed to cater to different people.

If you feel that you will get bored or that there isn't enough progression for your liking. Then regardless of whether you want to hear it or not. The logical choice is to go find a game that does meet these requirements. Not force every game to cater to you.

This is why I "chose" to play GW1 over WoW.
WoW's way of doing things wasn't to my liking. Did I ask for it to be changed? NO.
I found a different game that did things how I wanted them. GW1.

and we see how the majority of people who play MMOs wanted, GW1 or WoW.

Umm.. which won
---
#102MBO-SephyPosted 6/26/2012 9:49:38 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
and we see how the majority of people who play MMOs wanted, GW1 or WoW.

Umm.. which won

Is "winning" even the point?
People play whatever game they want to. If more people play WoW than GW1 does that mean WoW wins and GW1 loses?

That's such a ridiculous point to make.
#103TheWarhammeronlPosted 6/26/2012 9:50:39 AM
Not to mention GW1 was But to play, and a lot of people "including myself" played both.
---
"Your opinion doesn't matter unless you support it with ACTUAL facts" Mr.Hoshaw 10th grade English teacher
#104YamaChan(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2012 9:53:00 AM
I saw WoW mentioned in that last response addressed to me. I stopped reading. Try harder to not completely misconstrue my argument.

Thanks.
---
"Key which hides the powers of darkness... Show your true power before me. Under the contract, Sakura commands you. Release!!" - Sakura Kinomoto
#105TheWarhammeronlPosted 6/26/2012 9:53:48 AM
meiyuki posted...
MBO-Sephy posted...
So you claiming ANet are hypocrites isn't bashing?
Okay then. I guess there are worse things than "not making sense".

That was a comment about the people responding in this thread and other ones where they continually bash anyone who likes the staples of rpgs and tell them to go away. The context of that entire post was the people in this thread, never once did I bring up the devs at all. I have never once bashed GW2 ever, the problem is you're so quick to attack people you don't bother to read and understand what is being said.

Stop the blind worship and take the time to understand what people are saying before attacking them, maybe you would learn something in stead of making the community a miserable place for even people who like the game.

Are one of this Yama dude's friends?

Seriously, where is this "stop the blind worship" argument coming from?

This game board seriously has hardly any fanboys.
I am probably considered the biggest, but I still discuss the game, and point out things I don't like.

Maybe it seems like we have fanboys, because our trolls are so well known that we dismiss what they say, even if it has a merit of truth? So from the outside it looks like we are all fanboys?

Seriously, there is hardly any "worship" of the game on this board.

I would hate to see you on an actual board.
---
"Your opinion doesn't matter unless you support it with ACTUAL facts" Mr.Hoshaw 10th grade English teacher
#106TiegerJDPosted 6/26/2012 10:05:59 AM
YamaChan posted...
I saw WoW mentioned in that last response addressed to me. I stopped reading. Try harder to not completely misconstrue my argument.

Thanks.

That's fine because I didn't use it till the end of my post.
Which as you have then obviously read the bulk. Should have noticed (lack of reading comprehension not withstanding). That I was using it as an example of my own situation and was not directed towards anyone.

WoW would be interchangeable with any game that doesn't fit to my liking. But as we are discussing MMO's.

But I suppose it's easier to just post the typical "stopped reading ...." reply instead of constructing a decent post.

Thanks.
---
Vagrant Story
Level 16 Grand Master Breaker : Sweeper Of The Dark
#107YamaChan(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2012 10:13:58 AM
TiegerJD posted...
YamaChan posted...

Thanks.

Which as you have then obviously read the bulk. Should have noticed (lack of reading comprehension not withstanding). That I was using it as an example of my own situation and was not directed towards anyone.

WoW would be interchangeable with any game that doesn't fit to my liking. But as we are discussing MMO's.

But I suppose it's easier to just post the typical "stopped reading ...." reply instead of constructing a decent post.

Thanks.

No, you are basing your fallacious argument on the mistaken belief that I want to turn Guild Wars 2 into a gear treadmill or loot grind game.

I don't.

I just want itemization to have significantly more depth and variation and not boil down to "Congratulations on spending hours together trying to conquer this elite 5-man dungeon! Here's your reward...a re-skinned armor with the same stats!"

That's dull. I like character progression, and with the inclusion of a personal story, it's obvious Anet cares about character progression. Not to mention dyes. They want the user to have a sense of individuality. Unique itemization can factor into that largely.

I use Diablo II as an example because it was the ultimate loot grind but it never had any "tiers" or anything of the sort. In that game, I could build the same class vastly different ways using vastly different elite items. That was fun. It added a level of depth to character building.

Why do people think building the power of your character is the root of all evil? Why are they equating "Great itemization" with "Massive loot grind"?

Again, absolutely nothing about the method to acquire items in Guild Wars 2 would change. I just want itemization to be more than "These stats re-allocate here!" or "Now you look cooler with the same stats!" Again, I played Guild Wars from LAUNCH until Factions. I had all the 15k Armors I wanted. I was working towards Fissure. It got old.

But then again, even Guild Wars had the aforementioned green items only obtainable in those elite group quests.

Stop pretending like adding some god damn decent itemization is going to destroy competitive balance. If we all have the same opportunity to acquire these items, nothing changes.

The only thing it could possibly do is make the game more fun and engaging.
---
"Key which hides the powers of darkness... Show your true power before me. Under the contract, Sakura commands you. Release!!" - Sakura Kinomoto
#108Zelda_wood_elfPosted 6/26/2012 10:20:53 AM
YamaChan posted...
TiegerJD posted...
YamaChan posted...

Thanks.

Thanks.

No, you are basing your fallacious argument on the mistaken belief that I want to turn Guild Wars 2 into a gear treadmill or loot grind game.

I don't.

I just want itemization to have significantly more depth and variation and not boil down to "Congratulations on spending hours together trying to conquer this elite 5-man dungeon! Here's your reward...a re-skinned armor with the same stats!"

That's dull. I like character progression, and with the inclusion of a personal story, it's obvious Anet cares about character progression. Not to mention dyes. They want the user to have a sense of individuality. Unique itemization can factor into that largely.

I use Diablo II as an example because it was the ultimate loot grind but it never had any "tiers" or anything of the sort. In that game, I could build the same class vastly different ways using vastly different elite items. That was fun. It added a level of depth to character building.

Why do people think building the power of your character is the root of all evil? Why are they equating "Great itemization" with "Massive loot grind"?

Again, absolutely nothing about the method to acquire items in Guild Wars 2 would change. I just want itemization to be more than "These stats re-allocate here!" or "Now you look cooler with the same stats!" Again, I played Guild Wars from LAUNCH until Factions. I had all the 15k Armors I wanted. I was working towards Fissure. It got old.

But then again, even Guild Wars had the aforementioned green items only obtainable in those elite group quests.

Stop pretending like adding some god damn decent itemization is going to destroy competitive balance. If we all have the same opportunity to acquire these items, nothing changes.

^I approve of this message
#109MBO-SephyPosted 6/26/2012 10:23:47 AM(edited)
YamaChan posted...

Theoretically, everyone has the same opportunity to get items in every other MMO as well.

There will be "unique gear", just not in the sense you expect there to be.
#110TiegerJDPosted 6/26/2012 10:26:06 AM
YamaChan posted...
TiegerJD posted...
YamaChan posted...

Thanks.

Thanks.

I don't.

I believe it is you that is mistaken.
Please highlight in my posts where I state that you want "gear treadmill or loot grind game"?

My "fallacious argument" has been based around you wanting changes that go against the very design of GW2.
And suggesting that if you want a game that offers more progression then to maybe consider looking elsewhere.
Just like I did myself many years ago when I was deciding what to play (and picked GW1). And like it seems you already have done yourself when you stopped playing at Factions. (For the record I've played since day1).

Also:

Point out where I say this?
Maybe it is you with the "fallacious argument".
---
Vagrant Story
Level 16 Grand Master Breaker : Sweeper Of The Dark