Why do people hate "gearing up" so much?

#71MBO-SephyPosted 6/26/2012 9:41:41 AM
Zelda_wood_elf posted...
I hate grinding! [Leveling up]
I hate gear and especially gear that is hard to get or takes awhile to get[Improving Stats]
I dont wanna have to play for a long period of time[Want rewards asap like umm Cod]
Gear should not even matter!!! [I dont like to think and would like everyone to be the same]
Stats suck!!! [^See above]
I hate the way the game is just numbers and a lifebar [Umm okay???]

^U bash everything about Rpg games then say it should be more like halo 2 or 3 basically
No stats
No gear
No carrot on a string u get everything the game has to offer on day 1
Its all about skill gear does not matter
No numbers or math to worry about
No fetch quests

To answer the bolded parts:
I believe skill requires more thought and brainpower than grinding for powerful gear. And I don't think I'm the only one who believes that.

Won't bother with the rest since it's clear troll bait anyway.
#72TheWarhammeronlPosted 6/26/2012 9:41:43 AM
Zelda_wood_elf posted...
meiyuki posted...
If I pick Ryu in Street Fighter and fight my friend who picked Ryu as well, the outcome is dependent on my actual skill against my friend. A lot of people like this, including me, and want to PvP without having a rogue in full tier 20 gear with legendaries 1 shot you because you can't play as much as that hardcore raider does.

Here's what I don't get about these discussions and this post so perfectly highlights it. All the people who want gear to not matter at all are calling for a different genre of game. They make games were gear doesn't matter, they make games where all players are equal and it's just about their skill level, these are fighting games, racing games, rts, and fps games. Starcraft, CoD, street fighter, and many many many more all allow you to pvp without any worry of gear, it's pure skill.

Would it not be ridiculous to go to a street fighter forum and tell them they're all stupid for not wanting gear in their game and a way to acquire gear that boosts their performance in multiplayer? Yet all these people show up here doing just that, bashing anyone who enjoys progression a staple of the entire rpg genre.

I just always find it weird with MMOs that so many people talk about how much they hate almost every common feature in the genre and find nothing ridiculous about bashing people who like the genre while simultaneously calling for gameplay that mimics the fps genre. You'd be laughed off the planet if you said you wanted to make CoD like WoW, but you're praised if you say you want to make WoW like CoD, that's rather odd.

100x ^this

Apparently the new "cool" thing to do is say u literally hate everything about a RPG game and then say get rid of every RPG aspect of the game and it will be better???

I hate gear and especially gear that is hard to get or takes awhile to get[Improving Stats]
I dont wanna have to play for a long period of time[Want rewards asap like umm Cod]
Gear should not even matter!!! [I dont like to think and would like everyone to be the same]

^U bash everything about Rpg games then say it should be more like halo 2 or 3 basically
No stats
No gear
No fetch quests

Or maybe because there have been so many RPGs/MMOs the majority of gamers just want something different?

I'm sure I would glady grind kills all day if it was my first MMO, but now, if that's a selling point, I won't even waste my time on a demo.

And I don't think anyone said they wanted no gear, and no stats.
---
"Your opinion doesn't matter unless you support it with ACTUAL facts" Mr.Hoshaw 10th grade English teacher
#73MBO-SephyPosted 6/26/2012 9:51:26 AM(edited)
meiyuki posted...
Here's my question, these people all seem to hate everything that's been in RPGs and MMOs(remember the TC is not talking about copying WoW, and the responders seem to want no gear at all) why were any of these people playing MMOs? And furthermore since what they so desperately want has already been created way before GW2 why are they not playing those games instead of trying to make an MMO a fps?

If you like MMO's it's "go away and play something else this game isn't for you," if you don't like mmo's it's "we're changing the genre, everyone else go away and play something else." It's hypocrisy.

My posts are less about trying to change gw2 and more about trying to get people to think instead of just mindlessly bashing everything.

You seem to be bashing GW2 quite a lot, too. Hypocrisy? lols. They decided to make a MMO different than the others. They've been advertising the game would be different many years ago. Therefore you can decide if you play it or not.

Pray tell me what GW2 has that makes it "trying to make a MMO a FPS"? It'd make more sense if you were referring to Planetside 2.

I don't hate MMOs. I just hate grinding. Five years ago I was fine with it. I was playing WoW and FFXI. Nowadays I think it's an archaic design model and am looking for something different. GW2 is different. So I'll play GW2.

So yeah, if you REALLY don't like what GW2 is bringing to the table...sure, go play something else. Nobody's forcing you to play it. You know why everyone says this? Because it makes sense. Nobody plays a game they don't like. Why should you?

It's not like GW2 is the last MMORPG of the world. There are other options! You aren't stuck with "either GW2 or nothing".

Also, adding to what Warhammer said, nobody said "no gear and no stats". We just don't want a gear treadmill. As in, reaching max level, then getting progressively better gear for that level. It's dumb to have different level 80 gear with superior "item levels" just to make people grind for them.

Looking at WoW WotLK(the last expansion I played), if you weren't getting rushed by guildies, you'd have to:
Reach level 80.
Do 5man dungeons.
Then Naxxramas / Obsidian Sanctum / Eye of Eternity.
Then Ulduar.
Then Trial of the Crusader.
Then Icecrown Citadel.
Then Ruby Sanctum.

It's all level 80 content. But if you're fresh into level 80 without any level 80 blues, you won't survive even in Naxx, let alone Ruby Sanctum for example. This is what I don't like anymore, and this is why I want GW2.
#74Zelda_wood_elfPosted 6/26/2012 9:51:56 AM
MBO-Sephy posted...
Zelda_wood_elf posted...

No stats
No gear
No fetch quests

To answer the bolded parts:
I believe skill requires more thought and brainpower than grinding for powerful gear. And I don't think I'm the only one who believes that.

Won't bother with the rest since it's clear troll bait anyway.

LMFAO troll bait is stating u literally hate everything there is about a genre...

Basically if i go to [insert fighting game here thread] and say well u know what i hate how u gotta press buttons in a specifc way to do powerful moves.

I hate how this game is just a 2 lifebars that move.

I hate how u have to spend time learning combos and such to be good at the game.

^This is basically what alot of people are saying in rpg threads.

But when i question it I am the troll?? 0_o
#75Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/26/2012 9:53:00 AM
GaMeFr33k posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Sorry, but you're just a bad player looking for an excuse.

PvE - best holy pally on my server for at least a year
PvP - reached glad rank twice, reg glad & merc glad

Being top ranked in Arena, gear DID matter, so did enchanting right.

You obviously know nothing about WoW arena so your post is void.

NEXT POST.

Proof, post your character.
---
#76Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/26/2012 9:55:27 AM
Zelda_wood_elf posted...
meiyuki posted...
If I pick Ryu in Street Fighter and fight my friend who picked Ryu as well, the outcome is dependent on my actual skill against my friend. A lot of people like this, including me, and want to PvP without having a rogue in full tier 20 gear with legendaries 1 shot you because you can't play as much as that hardcore raider does.

Here's what I don't get about these discussions and this post so perfectly highlights it. All the people who want gear to not matter at all are calling for a different genre of game. They make games were gear doesn't matter, they make games where all players are equal and it's just about their skill level, these are fighting games, racing games, rts, and fps games. Starcraft, CoD, street fighter, and many many many more all allow you to pvp without any worry of gear, it's pure skill.

Would it not be ridiculous to go to a street fighter forum and tell them they're all stupid for not wanting gear in their game and a way to acquire gear that boosts their performance in multiplayer? Yet all these people show up here doing just that, bashing anyone who enjoys progression a staple of the entire rpg genre.

I just always find it weird with MMOs that so many people talk about how much they hate almost every common feature in the genre and find nothing ridiculous about bashing people who like the genre while simultaneously calling for gameplay that mimics the fps genre. You'd be laughed off the planet if you said you wanted to make CoD like WoW, but you're praised if you say you want to make WoW like CoD, that's rather odd.

100x ^this

Apparently the new "cool" thing to do is say u literally hate everything about a RPG game and then say get rid of every RPG aspect of the game and it will be better???

No stats
No gear
No fetch quests

Fetch quests? That is a lie... I had to fetch bags of food, I had to collect things.. hell, there is a fetch fetch in the human personal story..

The carrot in this game is wondering around trying to find something to do.
---
#77Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/26/2012 9:57:49 AM
MBO-Sephy posted...
meiyuki posted...
Here's my question, these people all seem to hate everything that's been in RPGs and MMOs(remember the TC is not talking about copying WoW, and the responders seem to want no gear at all) why were any of these people playing MMOs? And furthermore since what they so desperately want has already been created way before GW2 why are they not playing those games instead of trying to make an MMO a fps?

If you like MMO's it's "go away and play something else this game isn't for you," if you don't like mmo's it's "we're changing the genre, everyone else go away and play something else." It's hypocrisy.

My posts are less about trying to change gw2 and more about trying to get people to think instead of just mindlessly bashing everything.

You seem to be bashing GW2 quite a lot, too. Hypocrisy? lols. They decided to make a MMO different than the others. They've been advertising the game would be different many years ago. Therefore you can decide if you play it or not.

Pray tell me what GW2 has that makes it "trying to make a MMO a FPS"? It'd make more sense if you were referring to Planetside 2.

I don't hate MMOs. I just hate grinding. Five years ago I was fine with it. I was playing WoW and FFXI. Nowadays I think it's an archaic design model and am looking for something different. GW2 is different. So I'll play GW2.

So yeah, if you REALLY don't like what GW2 is bringing to the table...sure, go play something else. Nobody's forcing you to play it. You know why everyone says this? Because it makes sense. Nobody plays a game they don't like. Why should you?

It's not like GW2 is the last MMORPG of the world. There are other options! You aren't stuck with "either GW2 or nothing".

Also, adding to what Warhammer said, nobody said "no gear and no stats". We just don't want a gear treadmill. As in, reaching max level, then getting progressively better gear for that level. It's dumb to have different level 80 gear with superior "item levels" just to make people grind for them.

Looking at WoW WotLK(the last expansion I played), if you weren't getting rushed by guildies, you'd have to:
Reach level 80.
Do 5man dungeons.
Then Naxxramas / Obsidian Sanctum / Eye of Eternity.
Then Ulduar.
Then Trial of the Crusader.
Then Icecrown Citadel.
Then Ruby Sanctum.

It's all level 80 content. But if you're fresh into level 80 without any level 80 blues, you won't survive even in Naxx, let alone Ruby Sanctum for example. This is what I don't like anymore, and this is why I want GW2.

So you feel you should not be rewarded for work? Just simply have things handed to you like in GW2? When you find yourself 80.. with nothing to do but PVP, you can make an alt and repeat every single DE over again, Thats what happens when you reach 80 with nothing left to do
---
#78MBO-SephyPosted 6/26/2012 10:00:07 AM
Reward for "work" is fine.
Having to "work" to get anything AT ALL is not.

Many other games reward you for your "work" in different manners, without grinding. Why can't a MMORPG do the same?
#79Duke DarkwoodPosted 6/26/2012 10:06:09 AM(edited)
It's not /topic, because i never asked for a gear treadmill. If you actually read the contents of my posts, you'd see that I'm calling for less stale and boring itemization, not more loot farming and grinding.

In my defense, your last post wasn't up when I started my reply. If I misinterpreted your other posts, then my apologies.

My ultimate point stands, though - Arenanet has the right to make Guild Wars 2 the way they want it. And some of us like the way they're doing it.

MAN, this thread moves fast:
So you feel you should not be rewarded for work? Just simply have things handed to you like in GW2?

They're not getting "handed to us". But the above examplew of progression is NOTY as simple as "getting rewarded for work". It's more like doing your job FOR FREE until you reach management levels.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#80The_Madd_HatterPosted 6/26/2012 10:04:53 AM
TL:DR

I have explained this before but i can't find the topic to copy what I said there so here is the short version

GW2 method
2 pieces of gear
1 is easy to get and 1 is hard to get
easy to get has 100 stat points distributed so that you can play one way
hard to get has 100 stat points distributed so that you can play another way

both are good pieces of gear

both are desirable depending on how you want to play

it rewards people who complete difficult tasks by opening up new playstyles as viable options

WoW method
2 pieces of gear
1 is quick to get and 1 is time consuming to get
quick to get has 10 stat points that suck
time consuming to get has 10000 stats points that are awesome

anyone else see the problem with that?
---
There is no try, only do and do not.