How does Guardian melee feel compared to a Warrior?

#1JenniferTatePosted 7/9/2012 12:24:14 PM
This might be a strange question, but I'm not asking about the actual damage. Just how it sounds and feels.

My example is from Warcraft, where, for me, the sound effects really helped sell the attacks (given the limited animations and whatever). The Warrior shield slams sounded meaty, most attacks had a nice satisfying smack or gushing sound. On a Paladin, the Shield of Righteousness gonged, but it didn't sound as satisfying as the Shield Slam or Bash. And many of the attacks, Prot or Ret, didn't look or sound as if they had weight to them. The damage was there, sure, but to me it felt disconnected compared to a Warrior or Rogue, or sometimes Hunter.

Does anyone know what I mean?

In LOTRO the Warden and Captain also had some satisfying sound effects and animations to sell the attacks.

Do the Guardian and Warrior attacks have "weight" to them, and do they sound like actual melee combat, with meaty clangs and thunks?

Thanks!
---
Careful kid, with that wolf whistle. You never know what you'll attract.
#2Greendragon854Posted 7/9/2012 12:28:22 PM
They both feel quite satisfying. ESPECIALLY the hammer for either of them. The staff for guardian feels rather "weightless" though.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#3FaYt2021Posted 7/9/2012 12:31:21 PM
Greendragon854 posted...
The staff for guardian feels rather "weightless" though.

Agree.

Also, there is a real sense of collision with their heavy weapons. The great sword skills for both of them feel great.
---
Bethesda... what has become of you?
#4PheemPosted 7/9/2012 12:34:22 PM
Definitely agreed on the Hammer part. The sound of Hammer skill 4 for Guardian also made the skill that much more satisfying.
#5NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 7/9/2012 12:35:37 PM
Hammer is the best.

Axe was also pretty satisfying, Eviscerate in particular.
#6JenniferTate(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2012 12:38:41 PM
That sounds awesome. Do the summoned weapons have the same weight? And do the shields do anything beyond block? I haven't seen confirmation of armor boosts, and it doesn't look like they're as offensive a weapon as I usually like (I love shield slams whenever I can in any warrior class).

Torn between which to main, I like the flavor and versatility of the Guardian, but the Warrior has really impressed me in some of the videos I've seen. Sometimes it's the simple things, like dual wielding axes or shouting at people.
---
#7DraconisRexPosted 7/9/2012 12:39:57 PM
Honestly, the guardian feels ponderous compared to the warrior. Don't take it as an absolute, I played Guardian when I first started learning the game Day 1, BWE1 and I played Warrior on Day 2 or Day 3 of BWE2 and after spending a lot of time in melee with a dual-dagger elementalist, a ranger and a thief, I was a lot better at melee...

Also, the races feel different. Nords feel really ponderous and super strong. The Charr feel more mobile and nimble. The Humans in between.

I know, intellectually, they're all the same. Same speed. Same hit box. Etc.

But expectations and perceptions cloud reality...
---
It's not 2004, stop making excuses...
#8PheemPosted 7/9/2012 12:55:10 PM
AlkalineKitten posted...
That sounds awesome. Do the summoned weapons have the same weight? And do the shields do anything beyond block? I haven't seen confirmation of armor boosts, and it doesn't look like they're as offensive a weapon as I usually like (I love shield slams whenever I can in any warrior class).

Shields do have Defense stats on them, along with Attack. For both Guardian and Warrior, they have an attack skill and a block skill.

Guardian's Shield of Judgment damages foes in front of you with a wave and gives Protection to allies that are near the wave.
Guardian's Shield of Absorption creates a bubble around you that pushes back enemies and absorbs projectiles.

Warrior's Shield Bash damages and stuns a foe.
Warrior's Shield Stance blocks incoming attacks.

I personally loved the Guardian. I enjoyed supporting people around me and..barely dying. Of course, that's not to say the Warrior isn't capable of these things either, but it might take just a little bit more effort.
#9Duke DarkwoodPosted 7/9/2012 1:50:35 PM
Definitely agreed on the Hammer part. The sound of Hammer skill 4 for Guardian also made the skill that much more satisfying.

Not to mention the way it sends them flying, as if they had just been struck by a two-handed underhand hammer swing.

Really great to just go DOWN the list. Starting with 5, to trap them in the barrier around you, then hit them with 4, which knocks them INTO the barrier. Follow up with 3, pinning them as you step forward to smash them with 2.

If they're still alive, just smack them around with a few 1s, until you can do it all over again.

Nords feel really ponderous and super strong.

OK, the Norn called to tell you that Nords are from The Elder Scrolls, and are just tall humans, making them about two feet shorter than Norn.

And when I say they called, I mean I could hear them bellowing from Hoelbrack, all the way here in Indiana.

That said, I am having a BLAST with my norn guardian in the betas. Incredible fun. If only I can reach 30 and grab an elite, this last beta.

Gonna try an Asura Necro, too, because I have GOT to see Rata Sum. And decide how my real Asura Necro will look when I make it at release.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#10JenniferTate(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2012 2:12:48 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean with races. I tend to prefer small or bestial races, so I'm leaning Asura or Charr. I can see how guardian might just feel ponderous with it's playstyle; it seems to be much more stationary and defensive than the warrior's mobility with damage.

Good to know about the shields. I'm looking at the traits for first time and it's really opening up the classes to me. Also cool to hear about that use of Banish, Duke, I was thinking the same thing.

I don't need to be a damage machine, and I love contributing to groups, but both classes seem suited to what I loved best about most melee classes in other games. It might be a holdover from some of my WoW experience, or the other threads I've read on GW2Guru, but my fear with either choice would be to get pigeonholed into a role. I'd rather not run into the old class/role biases, even if GW2 seems to eliminate most of them, to see some theorycrafting, it almost sounds the same as it ever was.
---