Which class will be the best healer?

#31Crimson_SpiderPosted 7/11/2012 11:52:42 PM
Hard to say which class would be best at healing. A lot of classes have some altruistic healing properties to them, making it hard to grab one and go "Yes, THAT is the one that'll heal people!" In Guild Wars 2, survival won't be dependent on taking damage as much as it will be avoiding damage, mitigating damage, and controlling your enemy. So the whole "tank + healer" thing won't work too well, since that is narrowing survivability to only two of the many ways to deal with an enemy.

However I digress. The two classes that seem to have the most healing potential are the elementalist and the guardian. Of course, the Guardian also makes one of the best tanks, so technically they can be both the healer and the tank at the same time.
---
Secular Science: Because the smart thing to do is to extrapolate observed phenomena seven orders of magnitude beyond observability for no reason than to do it.
#32Missile129Posted 7/12/2012 2:16:39 AM(edited)
Long post incoming!

I like Crux. Just sayin' lol.

Seriously though, I understand what Crux is trying to say and I agree. A few months ago my now nearly completely dead GW1 alliance tried to do some GvG and I thought heck why not, the game is dead after all. I was not prepared for the stuff I saw.

Of the 7 players, 5 had only 1 weapon set (of the 5 casters, 3 had only a staff of their primary attribute), only 1 had over 600 health, 2 had under 500 health, 6 were using superior runes, 3 didn't have a superior vigor, the necro only had 2 elites (Spiteful Spirit and Aura of the Lich) and I spent 10 minutes dealing with a monk who was adamant he should bring a res.

I tried to help them. I explained why they need multiple weapon sets; I only gave each person 4 unlike the full heavy equipment bag I take into every PvP match. After one game it became clear this was too much, and so I cut everyone to their 40/40 and their shield set. Still they didn't get it. It took me about an hour to get elite skills capped for people, to explain how their bar works and what they're expected to do. Even the flag runner would run the flag once and then have to be told to go back to get the next.

The things I witnessed were the result of PvE "hermits" as Crux called them, who had played the game for years not daring to touch "real" PvP and instead only had experience of the casual PvP games. People who, for the first time in their GW lives, had experienced what it feels like when your monk actually can't do anything to save you if you don't help your monk in return by playing smart. People who suddenly discovered what Diversion really does, rather than that random hex mobs randomly throw on you and then you get that weird bug where one of your skills goes into a minute long cooldown, not that you ever noticed because of how OP the rest of your PvE skills are.

And in GW2 beta weekends I am already cringing at some of the things I see. We're standing fighting a boss DE in the norn starter area and it is using AoE attacks that are one hit KOing people. A giant red circle appears under your character before it hits you. I will accept only 2 excuses for dying to this: A) Lag B) You had the bug that makes AoE indicators appear white (confounded by the ice ground). And yet there I stood looking across an ocean of defeated players. You res them, and 5 seconds later they do the exact same thing. These people are not worth my time or effort to "teach" them what should be basic common sense.

Now I do disagree with Crux about his "dumbing down" of everything. I'm not going to get into that debate though purely because Anet already told us to expect significant changes to every class in the next beta and I find it really hard to judge the depth of strategy in a game that I've played for 4 days. To be honest, I think some of the comparisons you make between GW1 and GW2 are unfair, for example you cited GW2 as lacking depth because Guardian has been replaced by snaring the foe. Well I play midliners in GW1, so snaring the foe has been replaced with..... snaring the foe. You spoke about Reversal of Fortune and GW2 having nothing that can compete with the (rather simple) depth of this skill. I point you to the mesmer skill Mimic. I also reiterate the chess analogy someone made in another thread, I don't know if you saw it. You often seem to cite GW2 combat lacking depth by summarising the amount of skills in the game. Chess features 8 identical pawns, 6 pieces which are actually 3 and their clones, one power house and a king. You'd be ridiculed if you walked up to any chess pro and tried to suggest the game lacks depth, and yet it utilises just 16 pieces which all have one function: move in a direction. As I said, I'm not willing to comment on the depth of GW2 specifically at this time, so all I ask is that you look at the next beta with fairer comparisons.
---
Common sense is the least common of all senses.
#33travisromigPosted 7/12/2012 2:35:21 AM
A Mesmer with a Inspiration Focus seems like a good idea for a healer.

Phantasmal Healing
Helps his Phantasms grant near by allies regeneration

Restorative Illusions
Heals small amount when you use Shatter Illusion.

I think if you make a build which you make large amounts of Phantasms and Illusions you will be healing you team a lot BUT you should think about how GW2 is designed with the downed system. We don't even need a healer just let them get downed then right click them as a full DPS spect then they get back up. They need to learn to avoid the big AOEs and run away from the strong Melee monsters/bosses
---
Your money is fake so fix it = http://www.digitalcoin.info/Digital_Coin_Introduction.html
#34coolguyjimmyPosted 7/12/2012 3:17:49 AM
I think it's worth mentioning that the holy trinity was abolished for PvP reasons, as well.
It's not easy balancing PvP around a healing class.
#35DraconisRexPosted 7/12/2012 4:33:02 AM
boktai3 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
CruxisInhibitor posted...
No dedicated healing but Guardians, Elementalists, and Engineers have pretty good healing options. People will tell you there is no trinity, but it's obvious by the class design that some remnants are still there.

(at least till fanboys whine and b**** about it and these classes get nerfed so much that the next expansion will put dedicated healers in because of all the healing they had to take out of the combat system. Casual noobs don't want a healer - combatant paradigm to deepen gameplay mechanics, they just wanna blast faceless enemies like in CoD: World Vs. World at War)

With that said, when grouping a few classes together that have healing potential, you can actually heal up pretty well. On your own, not so much.

I honestly don't see how a lot of players will make it without someone healing them.. Reason there is a shortage of healers and tanks in MMOs, people dont want the responsibility of keeping them selfs or the group alive, they just wanna pew pew s***...

self heals and dodging, thats how people will make it.

The irony of this series is one of GFAQs most nortorious trolls is running with Crux and that Crux is bashing fanboys about 'crying for nerfs.'

For those who haven't followed the devs, the Guild Wars 2 team has made melee easier. Because of crying like his... Yet he's got to attack people as 'fanboys' because they dare to point out it can be done if bother to learn the skills. Nobody said it was easy, but that it took time to master and worked quite well if you thought it through and played the game as designed instead of WoW2.

So congrats to Crux, your crying paid off. You've gotten them to nerf the game down to your level. You and one of GFAQs biggest trolls are on the same page. And you burned yourself with one of the most ironic attacks I've seen in quite some time.

And, once again, as boktai3 points out, we all know the issue -- learn to play THIS game, not WoW2...
---
It's not 2004, stop making excuses...
#36DraconisRexPosted 7/12/2012 4:36:48 AM
Voxwik posted...
I don't play with bad players..if someone is playing below what i deem "common sense" or acceptable levels, i just leave the group and find other people. I analyze chat, character appearance, and a whole host of other things for pre-determining factors of course. I generally do very well in regards to staying away from baddies that don't listen or try to play the game idiotically. If i'm running around with a ranged player and i'm setting up combo fields, but that player repeatedly stays on the opposite side shooting the enemy, i'm not gonna group with him. This is why i don't mind waiting for healers and i will probably main some type of support Guardian, Engineer, Elementalist, or Warrior. I just like impacting people in a team sense. I don't think the OP is an odd question to ask, even for GW2. That said, Xeeh, i'd be happy to group with you if you're any good. I'll be on Fort Aspenwood server for beta.

You know you could try and offer kind advice too to help them get better? Now if you are civil about it and they get rude and defensive then I agree it's time to leave.

Personally I'd much rather group with an iffy player willing to learn than someone with a gigantic ego, but to each their own.

Well said.
---
It's not 2004, stop making excuses...
#37JebSkatr2Posted 7/12/2012 4:45:07 AM
I agree with a lot of what's being said in this topic, in the sense that I think people in the BWE's so far have had the toughest time adjusting to GW2 because it doesn't play like other MMO's.

Older MMO's have conditioned players to not be self-sufficient, and now they'll have to be.

I'd like to think I've seen improvements just from BWE1 to BWE2, as people get more comfortable with the game. But I agree that not everyone's going to be able to make the jump, for whatever reason.
#38VitharPosted 7/12/2012 4:53:25 AM
if you don't take care of yourself ( roll/dogde/your own heals ) you will die. Don't expect people to heal you much.
They will revive you though as you get exp from it hehe ;)
---
PSN: Vithar ~ Xbox: Vithar360
#39Jordo_dPosted 7/12/2012 5:00:37 AM
Vithar posted...
if you don't take care of yourself ( roll/dogde/your own heals ) you will die. Don't expect people to heal you much.
They will revive you though as you get exp from it hehe ;)

This....so if you die in a dungeon...and repeatedly keep dying....the group knows who to kick because that person sucks....it's not because the healer wasn't healing, or the tank didn't have aggro....

however you have to keep in mind...expect to die in this game...many of the explorable dungeon bosses will see each player go down at least twice....rezzing in the middle of combat is part of the game...and also a way to keep combat going so you down that boss

i personally went into Ascalonian Catacombs explorable mode this past beta weekend....and that is the only way we downed that boss....we were having ranged stick close to cover so that if or when they went down, we were able to rez behind cover while the warrior or guardian got the attention of the boss
---
"I have 23k dps but sometimes I crit for 68k. Is the dps stat just really bugged or something?"
- Karmic Dragon2003; Diablo 3
#40cyclops247Posted 7/12/2012 6:05:24 AM
DraconisRex posted...
boktai3 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
No dedicated healing but Guardians, Elementalists, and Engineers have pretty good healing options. People will tell you there is no trinity, but it's obvious by the class design that some remnants are still there.

(at least till fanboys whine and b**** about it and these classes get nerfed so much that the next expansion will put dedicated healers in because of all the healing they had to take out of the combat system. Casual noobs don't want a healer - combatant paradigm to deepen gameplay mechanics, they just wanna blast faceless enemies like in CoD: World Vs. World at War)

With that said, when grouping a few classes together that have healing potential, you can actually heal up pretty well. On your own, not so much.

I honestly don't see how a lot of players will make it without someone healing them.. Reason there is a shortage of healers and tanks in MMOs, people dont want the responsibility of keeping them selfs or the group alive, they just wanna pew pew s***...

self heals and dodging, thats how people will make it.

The irony of this series is one of GFAQs most nortorious trolls is running with Crux and that Crux is bashing fanboys about 'crying for nerfs.'

For those who haven't followed the devs, the Guild Wars 2 team has made melee easier. Because of crying like his... Yet he's got to attack people as 'fanboys' because they dare to point out it can be done if bother to learn the skills. Nobody said it was easy, but that it took time to master and worked quite well if you thought it through and played the game as designed instead of WoW2.

So congrats to Crux, your crying paid off. You've gotten them to nerf the game down to your level. You and one of GFAQs biggest trolls are on the same page. And you burned yourself with one of the most ironic attacks I've seen in quite some time.

And, once again, as boktai3 points out, we all know the issue -- learn to play THIS game, not WoW2...

Usually i cant stand trolls either, but tbh, WoW fanboys must really be shaking in their boots on this one, to be so focused on trolling the GW2 forums. I was around for Warhammer fans claiming they would dethrown WoW as well as SWTOR and the trolling wasnt even this close.

Xeeh literally makes this his job, he has atleast 1 topic on each and every single page, most of them subtle bashing topics, meant to scare away curious people on the game. He also posts in just about every single thread here, taking up atleast 50% of that entire thread. He sure is hard at work protecting his pandas. Blizz really should pay the poor guy with how much time he spends trolling here.

That said, I hope it isnt GW2 intention to try and defeat WoW, it just wont happen, doesnt matter if GW2 is the best game in the entire world, if the fanboys arent rdy to part with their digital 'accomplishments' then it wont matter that Blizz insults them with pandas and cakewalk challenges.

Yeah i got off topic, want to fight bout it?