Is the combat similar to Dark Souls?

#1pukerPosted 7/20/2012 1:55:17 AM
From the videos I've watched, the combat in this game doesn't seem to be like the traditional MMO where you just stand there and trade hits with the enemy while spamming abilities over and over again, it seems like Guild Wars 2 combat requires one to roll out of the way to avoid damage and use hit and run tactics similar to Dark Souls...to those that have played the beta, am I on the right page?
---
Har Har Har...
#2adgatoPosted 7/20/2012 2:00:24 AM
Not totally. It isn't as precise as DS. It is still more similar to previous mmos than DS, just with a dodge,
#3Zio_DynePosted 7/20/2012 2:00:50 AM
If only...
It's not bad by MMO-standards I guess, but it's not really similar to Demon's/Dark Souls at all.
#4SlaynPosted 7/20/2012 2:39:25 AM
No it isn't really like dark souls. You will be sitting there taking blows most of the time, you really only roll from large attacks.
#5UltraCookiePosted 7/20/2012 4:42:41 AM
Not even remotely similar.
#6asdam_teabagPosted 7/20/2012 9:08:19 AM
Slayn posted...
No it isn't really like dark souls. You will be sitting there taking blows most of the time, you really only roll from large attacks.

If you are sitting there taking blows you arn't doing it right.

You can cast and move at the same time.
---
Anne Frank - "We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same."
#7zach12_2Posted 7/20/2012 9:20:26 AM
asdam_teabag posted...
Slayn posted...

This.
---
The arguing that occurs on the internet is simply the natural state of humanity in a world where stupid people and clever people are allowed to communicate.
#8AdronLanPosted 7/20/2012 9:22:02 AM
I will never accept an online version of Demon Souls.

Lag with that game's approach does not work.
#9havok718Posted 7/20/2012 9:45:54 AM(edited)
Slayn posted...

And? Just because you can move doesn't mean you're not taking hits. Most range attacks automatically hit whatever you're targeting, and this goes for enemies attacking you as well. Most basic melee attacks will hit as soon as they swing.

The majority of attacks in this game are unavoidable or completely pointless to avoid (waste time trying to dodge an attack that does negligible damage while making your target out of range of your own attacks).

Sure you can roll, but that's a very limited mechanic and designed for big windup attacks.
#10MyEarHurtPosted 7/20/2012 9:51:41 AM
Please don't go into this game thinking it has combat anywhere near Dark Souls/Demon Souls. Go in thinking it has standard MMO controls, that way you won't be disappointed.

After two BWEs I am still wrestling with the combat. Personally I don't like MMO style combat and this game would be on another level if it had Dark Souls level of combat. This is still a good game though and has a lot to offer that Dark Souls doesn't so it is definitely worth playing.