Playing Engineer this weekend. Does anyone else find them very underwhelming?

#1r7gerrabbitPosted 7/22/2012 7:32:52 AM
All their kits, especially in PvP just seem so weak.

The only kit that I've found that does decent damage is the bomb kit. I see no reason to use any weapon kits and just spam pistol skills all the time...
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#2Gibble1Posted 7/22/2012 7:36:07 AM
I played engineer in the stress test (so only for a few hours) but my sentiments were the same as yours.
---
I was a dancer all along.
#3brownpantZPosted 7/22/2012 7:39:48 AM
ive found them to be fairly solid, In PVE ive found them very good although i havent tried a turret build or anything which might put out a lot more damage.

pvp their not bad, i've found flamethrowers to be practically needed though, and warriors stomp me, their far to sticky even with all my escape and slows.
---
AMD phenom ii x4 955. @ 3.2 Ghz, HD 4870 1gb. 4GB DDr3 1600.
#4FaYt2021Posted 7/22/2012 7:42:30 AM
I've played the Engineer this whole weekend. The way I have him built has him destroying foes with ease. I'm loving the Flamethrower and Grenade Kit, so strong.
---
"Hey, at least we're not EA!" - Bethesda PR
#5Gibble1Posted 7/22/2012 7:46:28 AM
One of my biggest problems was the lack of good condition removals. Elixir C is good, but it has a goddamn 60 second cooldown, in my opinion this should probably be lowered.
---
I was a dancer all along.
#6WaffleDeePosted 7/22/2012 9:11:46 AM
Burning/Bleed based engineers are probably he strongest builds you can make right now.

Also the Mine is the most hilarious skill to use in the WvW jump dungeon, put it on a pillar and deny the enemy indefinitely.
#7VoxwikPosted 7/22/2012 9:40:51 AM
I've loved the engineer so far but it's the only class I've played.
#8Starkindler201Posted 7/22/2012 9:42:52 AM
I played one last BWE and I liked the versatility, but found them to be a little weak. The main strategy I had was to kite backward with the rifle, and occassionally swap to Bomb Kit, unload everything, then swap back to rifle while the bombs recharged (I also dropped Big Ole Bomb whenever it came up). I also had the Elixer Gun for its toolbelt heal and my third utility skill was a healing elixer IIRC. It felt pretty cheap, but it was the only way to beat harder enemies of my level (this was PvE, BTW).
#9darkace77450Posted 7/23/2012 1:49:59 AM
Gibble1 posted...
One of my biggest problems was the lack of good condition removals. Elixir C is good, but it has a goddamn 60 second cooldown, in my opinion this should probably be lowered.

Smelling Salt?

Starkindler201 posted...
I played one last BWE and I liked the versatility, but found them to be a little weak. The main strategy I had was to kite backward with the rifle, and occassionally swap to Bomb Kit, unload everything, then swap back to rifle while the bombs recharged (I also dropped Big Ole Bomb whenever it came up). I also had the Elixer Gun for its toolbelt heal and my third utility skill was a healing elixer IIRC. It felt pretty cheap, but it was the only way to beat harder enemies of my level (this was PvE, BTW).

I found both the rifle and the flamethrower with vitality armor gave me the ability to take on anything pve threw at me. Plenty of crowd buys time for the healing skill to recharge. It didn't kill incredibly quick, but I rarely went down and never died. And I was fighting above my level at times, and faced plenty of veterans with adds.
#10GaMeFr33kPosted 7/23/2012 1:55:49 AM
I played Engineer the most during this beta.

They are definitely still low on the DPS end, but they make up for it with great support, wanted in groups, and overall fun factor. So I don't really think they should have MUCH higher DPS, but a little buff would help.

I mostly ran Rifle with all turrets, the turrets do pretty good damage, as long as I wasn't focused I pumped out pretty good damage and was #1 for points 90% of the time, mostly for capturing/defending points (not kills).
---
"I rarely read what anyone has to say because I don't care for the most part." - Xeeh_Bitz