Weapon types and armor types...

#1urmomishawt04Posted 7/25/2012 10:25:33 PM
I played BWE3 so I know a little about how this series plays and what not. But I'm just confused about all the armor types and weapons.

For the most part, should we be trying to craft new weapons and armor, or you know, farm cash and buy them from that global market? Do names actually matter or just the skills and stats of said weapon/armor? Is there an ultimate weapon/armor type that doesn't require gems or gw1 stuff?
---
http://i.imgur.com/IN4JL.png
PSN: D4RK M4R10 / 3DS:: 2191 - 7636 - 8794
#2ExiretPosted 7/25/2012 10:32:07 PM
urmomishawt04 posted...
I played BWE3 so I know a little about how this series plays and what not. But I'm just confused about all the armor types and weapons.

For the most part, should we be trying to craft new weapons and armor, or you know, farm cash and buy them from that global market? Do names actually matter or just the skills and stats of said weapon/armor? Is there an ultimate weapon/armor type that doesn't require gems or gw1 stuff?

The best tip I can give after leveling to 30 in PvE is just use what you get as rewards from quests and whatever drops. If you find a particular armor/weapon that you like the look of but it starts to trail off you can receive transmutation stones from map completion to transfer appropriate level stats to it (assuming you find a better item in the same category)

"Do names actually matter or just the skills and stats of said weapon/armor?"
I don't understand what you're asking. Names don't effect anything unless you're looking for peer approval or showing off your epeen.

There are legendary weapons and endgame dungeon armor that looks the best imo but it wont make you better than anyone else at max level via stat differentials. All of these are non-gem related. The gw1 weapons are purely level 1 skins that are not most powerful weapons in the game but you can transmute stats onto them as far as I know and make them act like a level 80 item.

PS: the gem store doesn't have any pay2win in it (unless you're going to refer to the vague boosts argument that goes off on a tangent) and especially no max stat weapons/armor only skins and town clothes
#3urmomishawt04(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2012 10:35:48 PM(edited)
I don't understand what you're asking. Names don't effect anything unless you're looking for peer approval or showing off your epeen.

I know this is probably the worst comparison but it's the only MMORPG I played which was like 8 years ago. In Runescape, you had 'tiers', like steel to mythril, to adament, rune, dragon, etc. etc.

I was wondering if there was some kind of scale like that but it doesn't appear to be. Just use what you loot like you said.
---
http://i.imgur.com/IvOWy.gif
#4ExiretPosted 7/25/2012 10:39:57 PM
urmomishawt04 posted...

I know this is probably the worst comparison but it's the only MMORPG I played which was like 8 years ago. In Runescape, you had 'tiers', like steel to mythril, to adament, rune, dragon, etc. etc.

I was wondering if there was some kind of scale like that but it doesn't appear to be. Just use what you loot like you said.

In PvE, there is probably going to be a scale among the instanced dungeon sets (level 35/45/55/65/70/80) and there are 3 level 80 sets but other than that people can come up with there own look and not be penalized.

In sPvP there are different sets that are purely skins for whatever weapons/armor you start with in the mists. You can gain these from playing and buying chests with glory or winning tournaments. I assume some of the later sets will require a lot of pvp rank grinding and pvp crafting. SO I guess in a way that could also be used as a scale.

But no there is no obvious way to tier it based on material it's made out of. Hope I helped!
#5TheMuseFanaticPosted 7/25/2012 10:42:44 PM
urmomishawt04 posted...

You can craft your own equips if you like. I found myself quickly outleveling the crafting equips I could make, though, despite the fact that I gathered from almost every node I came across up to level 31.

I found that I got the best items for my level via Karma vendors. Karma is obtained by doing dynamic events and renown hearts.

Names will tell you about the attributes of the equipment piece. For instance a "Malign Greatsword" will increase condition damage. A "Precise Greatsword of Force" will increase Precision (critical chance + damage) and will have a rune on it that gives additional damage. 1%, for example.

You will never have to purchase "ultimate weapons/armor" with gems. You may purchase cosmetic town clothes for gems, which do not appear in combat. You may also purchase transmutation stones with gems, which you can use to put the appearance on one item onto another item, in order to keep whichever item's appearance you prefer more. However, transmutation stones can be obtained in ways besides purchasing them from the gem store.

Honestly, the gem store is not a big deal. Gems can be purchased with ingame money as well, so you will never be forced to put down your credit card for something you want. Just if you want it ASAP.
#6Crimson_SpiderPosted 7/25/2012 10:42:57 PM
When the game launches there won't be an economy as much as there would be anarchy. Until it stabilizes you are stuck with crafting and looting.
---
Secular Science: Because the smart thing to do is to extrapolate observed phenomena seven orders of magnitude beyond observability for no reason than to do it.
#7kingofthekidsPosted 7/25/2012 10:45:52 PM
Crimson_Spider posted...
When the game launches there won't be an economy as much as there would be anarchy. Until it stabilizes you are stuck with crafting and looting.

I dunno. I was able to buy some pretty decent armor as well as weapons for whatever level my toon was at the trading post. Selection was certainly limited, but I was never left wanting.
#8urmomishawt04(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2012 11:27:53 PM
I did buy some decent weapons in the trading post during the beta. Best I found for my level on my own did about 150 damage and for 50 gold peieces the knife I got had +10 power and 200-210 damage or something like that.

Not bad at all for level 15 or so >_>
---
http://i.imgur.com/IN4JL.png