What class should I be?

#1NatsuSamaPosted 7/26/2012 1:32:55 PM
Im completely new to GW and all MMO's I favor a magical class or a class that can summon pets to do your bidding. Even in fighting games on consoles, I like keeping my opponent at a distance and piss them off. So far Im deciding on 3 classes: Mesmer, Elementalist and Necromancer.

Based on what Ive read about all 3:
Mesmer is like an illusionist, and the first thing I thought of when I saw this class was Naruto for the clones and confusion they make. That being said I want to try this class, but Im getting mix signals about this class. some say it sucks, some say its good. I dont want to play a class where Im mostly playing support.
Necromancer is the summoning pets to do your bidding class which is a class I favor and Ill be honest, I think of Pokemon. I played Pokemon as a kid so this class reminds me of it.
Elementalist, even though Im thinking about it, but it sorta looks like your average mage class so Im wondering is there any reason I should bother with this class.

TL:DR version, I'm looking for a magic base class thats good for pvp that wont feel to bland. Whats ya opinion?
---
WAAAH, I CAN'T BEAT THIS GUY WITH HIS TACTICS, I'M GONNA CALL IT SPAM AND CONDEMN HIM FOR USING IT
#2Miroku2235Posted 7/26/2012 1:45:02 PM
Every time someone says the Mesmer reminds them of Naruto I die a little inside.
---
"Those rouges are so overpowdered."
#3CruxisInhibitorPosted 7/26/2012 1:46:34 PM
All classes have pretty much the same capabilities. Warriors and Thieves are the only classes in GW2 that don't get pets. (Unless you count racial elite skills or the thief's guild elite). Your choice comes down to flavor really. Do you want elemental options and pets, or do you want undead, necromancy options and pets for a caster class? Mesmer is undergoing an overhaul, but honestly they've destroyed the mesmer class. All it is is stupid illusions that are usless and a confusion mechanic. I would probably go with Necromancer or Elementalist.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#4GroadergreenPosted 7/26/2012 1:46:42 PM
Miroku2235 posted...
Every time someone says the Mesmer reminds them of Naruto I die a little inside.

I'm legally deceased because of things like this.
#5AJKirchner88Posted 7/26/2012 1:46:50 PM
This is a hard question for anyone but you to answer. It sounds like any of those three with fit your 'play style' My best advice is to try them all out and decide for yourself.

All classes can support, but no class is JUST support.

The necro sounds like your best bet, its a caster with pets. However you may get into the game and find you just don't like it. This has happened to me. You might find you like the Ele more for how versatile and flexible in their builds they can be, or you like the Mesmer for all the conditions it places.

You just cant really know until you try them because the combat is rather different from other MMOs.
#6smgy11Posted 7/26/2012 1:48:17 PM
go with elementalist they are fun.
#7TheMuseFanaticPosted 7/26/2012 1:51:29 PM
NatsuSama posted...
Im completely new to GW and all MMO's I favor a magical class or a class that can summon pets to do your bidding. Even in fighting games on consoles, I like keeping my opponent at a distance and piss them off. So far Im deciding on 3 classes: Mesmer, Elementalist and Necromancer.

Based on what Ive read about all 3:
Mesmer is like an illusionist, and the first thing I thought of when I saw this class was Naruto for the clones and confusion they make. That being said I want to try this class, but Im getting mix signals about this class. some say it sucks, some say its good. I dont want to play a class where Im mostly playing support.
Necromancer is the summoning pets to do your bidding class which is a class I favor and Ill be honest, I think of Pokemon. I played Pokemon as a kid so this class reminds me of it.
Elementalist, even though Im thinking about it, but it sorta looks like your average mage class so Im wondering is there any reason I should bother with this class.

TL:DR version, I'm looking for a magic base class thats good for pvp that wont feel to bland. Whats ya opinion?

First, if you prefer pets and staying at a distance, Elementalist is not for you. They can summon elementals, but the summons are not permanent. Elementalists have to do a lot of dodging and CC because they are squishy.

Mesmers don't really have "pets" either. They have clones, phantasms, and whatnot. Honestly, how much you like this class will probably depend on your skill. Higher-skill players tend to enjoy it, but lower-skill players tend to say that they have to work too hard to put out as much damage as everybody else. Of course, balance is not finished yet, and this is one of the professions being majorly worked on before release.

Necros are nothing like Pokemon. They do have summons, but they are kind of a "niche" class. They are fairly unpopular for some reason. Also, from what I've seen, their damage is primarily condition-based (DoTs) no matter which weapon you're using, so if you don't like slowly draining the life out of your enemies, you probably won't like Necro.

To be quite honest, it doesn't sound like any of those three fit what you're looking for. If you're willing to sacrifice the "caster" aspect, perhaps you should try a Ranger, who have both pets and the ability to stay at a distance (because the pet will tank things for you).
#8phaselotusPosted 7/26/2012 5:50:41 PM
any...class.....
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/phaselotus?feature=mhee
xbox live: SR DrillPeePee
#9VordraxPosted 7/26/2012 5:53:08 PM
Groadergreen posted...
Miroku2235 posted...

I want to sig this, but without context I don't know how funny it would be, and sigging two people at once is kind of weird.
---
I got to find his magical hole of treasure in shallow's keep. Praiser of Itacgi
#10adgatoPosted 7/26/2012 5:55:01 PM
Groadergreen posted...
Miroku2235 posted...

Yes , this has me on my fifth reincarnation already. That damn series is a murderer.