Static weapon skills..still boring.

#1CruxisInhibitorPosted 8/2/2012 4:11:33 PM
I just can't get over the shallow skill pool. People say there's lots of depth, but i just don't see it. Played Guardian today for the first time and the whole thing just felt redundant. Every class can cover every base? Not really, i feel the Guardian is slow and clunky to play. It just gets boring..
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#2TheMuseFanaticPosted 8/2/2012 4:29:16 PM
I didn't necessarily feel bored with my skill selection, but playing a Staff Guardian felt kind of awkward. Especially when the autoattack skill can aggro up to 4 extra mobs...
#3CanadyansPosted 8/2/2012 4:31:28 PM
I'm not sure why you expected something different with using the words "still boring." Did you think they overhauled the weapon system between BWE3 and today? I mean, if you don't like the way the combat works, you're sure as heck not going to enjoy the game, so why bother?
---
Xbox Live GT: Null Ordo
PSN: Canadyan
#4HollandGrayPosted 8/2/2012 4:38:57 PM
Yeah...having such variety just by weapon choice alone as opposed to one auto-attack is just boring as all hell.
#5Epic_Bear_GuyPosted 8/2/2012 4:41:12 PM
Crux i feel the same exact way. I even thought WvWvW would bring some gratification but man...just boring having to rely on other players for EVERYTHING.. I mean i like team work and all that mess, but i like Independence as well...
#6ObsidusPosted 8/2/2012 4:47:56 PM(edited)
My opinion is that the first 5 weapon skills are fine, when you consider switching between two different weapons, and then changing out to completely different weapons. The problem I have is how even though each class has 20ish utility abilities, you're limited to choosing 5, and switching weapons doesn't change this bar. This is far too limited in my opinion. Look at Necromancers for example, their strongest and I'd argue class defining ability in combat is taking conditions from allies and putting them on enemies, and turning enemy boons into conditions. If you take the two skills that are best at doing this, and one survival oriented skill, that all seem borderline mandatory, you're left with TWO abilities to try to have something unique and interesting. Two. That is just stupidly limiting. They need to make it so switching weapons changes out your secondary bar to a different set as well, even if it triggers a short cooldown and ends the effects of all abilities that were on the first bar.
---
Cultivating an immunity to rebuttal is not a substitute for being correct.
#7Axl_RedPosted 8/2/2012 4:52:38 PM
TheMuseFanatic posted...
I didn't necessarily feel bored with my skill selection, but playing a Staff Guardian felt kind of awkward. Especially when the autoattack skill can aggro up to 4 extra mobs...

Guardians are really meant for using melee weapons like swords, hammers, greatswords, etc, as they give much higher dps. The other ranged weapons such as the staff and the scepter are meant for supporting other players, as they do much less ranged dps than other classes.

Weapon skill selection feels good when you're constantly switching weapons, and creating appropriate skill combo's for the situation. Though If you want to see flashier weapons skills, I suggest you play either the Thief, Ranger or Warrior.
#8random_noobiePosted 8/2/2012 5:00:18 PM(edited)
good thing GW1 is still there and available. they aren't going to rehaul the weapon system. it's been like this since they first revealed it. i don't think they'll change it anytime soon.

i don't get the same "boring" feeling that you get, apparently. i'm fine with the skills. at least i'll use all the weapon skills they give me. there's less variety then GW1, sure, but that doesn't make it more boring. try a different class? a different weapon set? idk.

or just play GW1.
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
LoL IGN: nvmvoidrays
#9BeefyNukesPosted 8/2/2012 5:04:04 PM
Epic_Bear_Guy posted...
Crux i feel the same exact way. I even thought WvWvW would bring some gratification but man...just boring having to rely on other players for EVERYTHING.. I mean i like team work and all that mess, but i like Independence as well...

Then what you're looking for isn't a MMO, but more rather a single player game with multiplayer components? D:

Dark Souls is coming out to PC soon. . . check it out.
#10Epic_Bear_GuyPosted 8/2/2012 5:08:21 PM
BeefyNukes posted...
Epic_Bear_Guy posted...

Then what you're looking for isn't a MMO, but more rather a single player game with multiplayer components? D:

Dark Souls is coming out to PC soon. . . check it out.

Beat it on consoles already. That's not a good excuse either, other MMO's I've played allowed you to solo efficiently in pvp and pve if you chose to. I like the MMO setting and open world pvp but i hate having to "Always" i repeat "always" have to rely on allies for "everything" i repeat "everything". Personal stories are the only exceptions but i'm not much of a pver.