What is Arena Net's Stance on BOTS?

#1NCPwnPosted 8/7/2012 12:59:10 PM
Was it their plan to remove botting by removing the need for armor/money? I ask because Bots generally ruin a game experience. I see this as a plus for GW2, because if there is no reason to bot, then they have successfully stopped bots. Less gold sellers too!
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Valkyria Chronicles, Planetside, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#2NicoGrimmPosted 8/7/2012 1:02:57 PM
That, combined with the fact that you arent going to get far grinding mobs (not to mention the fact that most enemies dont even drop gold, but trash loot you have to sell).
I doubt there will be any botters in this game.
---
There were no screams. There was no time. The mountain called Monkey had spoken. There was only fire. And then, nothing.
#3MechachuPosted 8/7/2012 1:05:35 PM
NicoGrimm posted...
That, combined with the fact that you arent going to get far grinding mobs (not to mention the fact that most enemies dont even drop gold, but trash loot you have to sell).
I doubt there will be any botters in this game.

I can see bots farming crafting materials.
#4NicoGrimmPosted 8/7/2012 1:18:40 PM
Do mobs drop crafting mats? I thought majority of them had to be gathered.
Though, I can see how botting would be beneficial when farming for dyes, or chests, or other cash shop items.
---
There were no screams. There was no time. The mountain called Monkey had spoken. There was only fire. And then, nothing.
#5Xeeh_BitzPosted 8/7/2012 1:19:10 PM
NicoGrimm posted...
Do mobs drop crafting mats? I thought majority of them had to be gathered.
Though, I can see how botting would be beneficial when farming for dyes, or chests, or other cash shop items.

Yes they do..
---
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
#6scarygrinPosted 8/7/2012 1:28:04 PM
If you played GW1, you should already know.
---
"Provide proof of this article, I just googled and found nothing" - Xeeh Bitz
#7darkjedilinkPosted 8/7/2012 1:29:41 PM
Bots are expressly against the ToS.

Also, equalized gear has nothing to do with bots. It's about level PvP.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#8george43Posted 8/7/2012 1:32:18 PM(edited)
Bots were rampant in GW1.

If you go to the asuran area you'd see dozens of assassin/dervish in an outpost.

Botting will be a lot harder in GW2 because nothing is static. It's pretty hard to bot when DEs and enemies are random.
#9FaYt2021Posted 8/7/2012 1:33:51 PM
NCPwn posted...
Was it their plan to remove botting by removing the need for armor/money? I ask because Bots generally ruin a game experience. I see this as a plus for GW2, because if there is no reason to bot, then they have successfully stopped bots. Less gold sellers too!

I'd expect them to handle botting the same as most other MMO's, which is usually not too well to begin with.

There would be plenty of reasons to bot depending on what you find value in, for example, the resources required to obtain legendary equipment that I'll be spending ungodly hours working towards.
---
"Hey, at least we're not EA!" - Bethesda PR
#10NCPwn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2012 1:35:53 PM
george43 posted...
Bots were rampant in GW1.

If you go to the asuran area you'd see dozens of assassin/dervish in an outpost.

Botting will be a lot harder in GW2 because nothing is static. It's pretty hard to bot when DEs and enemies are random.

This is not good news then.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Valkyria Chronicles, Planetside, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst