Cooking recipe question

#1adgatoPosted 8/13/2012 7:52:38 PM
So, I saw that there are cooking recipes for sale at some karma heart vendors. This caused me to wonder: are they necessary? I had thought that you can find all the recipes for a craft from the discovery crafting screen. Is this wrong? Or is cooking different? Or are the recipes just shortcuts to get you started?
#2jokrayzPosted 8/13/2012 7:59:45 PM
adgato posted...
So, I saw that there are cooking recipes for sale at some karma heart vendors. This caused me to wonder: are they necessary? I had thought that you can find all the recipes for a craft from the discovery crafting screen. Is this wrong? Or is cooking different? Or are the recipes just shortcuts to get you started?

i would think some recipes are rare fines. and some like these are special recipes only given by heart npc while you can get many from discovery craft?
#3adgato(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 8:01:05 PM
jokrayz posted...
adgato posted...

i would think some recipes are rare fines. and some like these are special recipes only given by heart npc while you can get many from discovery craft?

That would be my guess also, but it is just a guess. I was hoping someone would know for sure.
#4X4GambitPosted 8/13/2012 9:22:48 PM
I did the cooking thing in last beta, it's kinda of a dual sword you have to use karma for some of the better recipes,but some heart events instead of a food item did give a recipe. The trainer NPC does warn you though if you go cooking your going to be spending more karma then other professions.
#5articwarriorPosted 8/13/2012 9:24:08 PM
adgato posted...
jokrayz posted...
adgato posted...

That would be my guess also, but it is just a guess. I was hoping someone would know for sure.

I've been wondering about this as well. Not only with cooking, but with other crafting discipline's (god that's going to take some getting used to) as well. Like will some things be restricted to "you must first buy the recipe then you can craft it" Or could you easily just figure out what's needed by googling the recipe, combining the materials and get the same craft without buying the recipe.
#6PheemPosted 8/13/2012 9:35:12 PM
I am pretty certain that you have to read the recipe in order to unlock it (you cannot discover them).

For example, here you have a Precise Bronze Spear:
http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/6457-precise-bronze-spear

And here you have a Moogooloo Spear (one you buy the recipe for):
http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/4461-moogooloo-spear

They both require the same exact ingredients. So if you were to put those into the Discovery panel, you would unlock the recipe for the Precise Bronze Spear, and continue to craft it when using the Discovery panel.

Also, on that database it shows the Moogooloo Spear as "Unlock Only", so I'm assuming that's the same with all of the other recipes you can buy.
#7articwarriorPosted 8/13/2012 10:01:11 PM
Pheem posted...
I am pretty certain that you have to read the recipe in order to unlock it (you cannot discover them).

For example, here you have a Precise Bronze Spear:
http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/6457-precise-bronze-spear

And here you have a Moogooloo Spear (one you buy the recipe for):
http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/4461-moogooloo-spear

They both require the same exact ingredients. So if you were to put those into the Discovery panel, you would unlock the recipe for the Precise Bronze Spear, and continue to craft it when using the Discovery panel.

Also, on that database it shows the Moogooloo Spear as "Unlock Only", so I'm assuming that's the same with all of the other recipes you can buy.

Ahhh okay. Thanks! That's good though, that you can't just randomly unlock an "exotic" item when someone else paid 3g for the recipe. I could see that causing a lottttt of QQing