So how does gear work in Guild Wars 2?

#1smiledkPosted 8/15/2012 8:40:41 AM
I've become moderately interested in Guild Wars 2 over the past couple weeks, but I'm staying cautious since i absolutely detested Guild Wars 1.

The biggest thing that has me worried about the game at the moment is how gear works. I've been hearing people say stuff to the effect of, "there is no gear grind." I've heard that you can leave the game for like 6 months, come back, and be able to jump right back into the "fight."

So how does gear work in Guild Wars 2? Have I been hearing wildly misinformed people? Is there a pretty standard gear system where you get gear with stats and harder guys drop gear with better stats? Is gear only cosmetic? What's the dealio?
#2Cool_new_namePosted 8/15/2012 8:49:24 AM(edited)
Standard mmorpg. Higher stat gear at higher levels. Rare gear gets higher stats.
At level cap it is about grinding for exotics/legendaries and cosmetics.

PvP is where everyone gets the same gear options. Players just customize their stat distribution depending on what playstyle they want. If you and another guy play the same profession in PvP then you can both make the exact same build from day one. It'll boil down to who plays it better.
#3ManiusPrimePosted 8/15/2012 8:48:08 AM
I find the armor isn't as important, but you still need to update your armor as you level. The big thing in GW2 is your skill in avoiding damage. I

There is stats which can be altered by the jewels put into the armor. If you use them to your play style. I found putting more points in for toughness was helping a lot. I first thought health would be the most important, but for me health just made my death a slightly delayed. As I put jewels into improve toughness. I was able to take up a lot more punishment.
---
Manius
Imperator
#4RushUnpluggedPosted 8/15/2012 8:49:33 AM
Gear has rarity, from grey to purple items, with increasing stats. But, all gear of the same rarity has the same total stats, only a different spread. What there isn't is a tier system, with items getting obsolete over time.
You might find an item that better suits your build, but the old one you had isn't necessarily worse, just more suited for a different build or class.

Also, item appearance can be customized, mixing 2 items so you can use the look of one and the stats of the other. So you're not forced to wear that Banana Mace +7 for the stats while your cool looking items rot in your inventory. Just trasmute the look of one onto the other and enjoy.
---
PSN=RushUnplugged
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/RushUnplugged.png
#5PheemPosted 8/15/2012 8:51:02 AM
Gear pretty much works like you would normally think it would, for the most part.

As you level up, you will continue finding new and better gear, whether it's a higher rarity, a different stat bonus, has a sigil/rune, or is simply a higher level.

The main thing people have been complaining about is the end game gear, thinking there is no progression and all 80 gear is equal. Though in reality, it's pretty similar to how gear works pre-80. There's still different rarities to find, different stat allocations, and different runes/sigils you can apply.

This article explains why people shouldn't be too worried for endgame gear, if you're really curious:
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/46603-faq-equipment-attributes-and-you-updated/

It's also got some other information on gear if you want to check it out.
#6smiledk(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2012 8:52:59 AM
Cool_new_name posted...
PvP is where everyone gets the same gear options. Players just customize their stat distribution depending on what playstyle they want. If you and another guy play the same profession in PvP then you can both make the exact same build from day one. It'll boil down to who plays it better.

That's a little disappointing. Pooping on undergeared people is one of the fun things about online games. :S
#7Axl_RedPosted 8/15/2012 8:55:44 AM
There is a gear grind. It's just that most people find it not worth it, because having better gear won't give you much of an advantage. In other MMO's, the person with the best gear would be the ultimate victor, but in this MMO, it's the person with best skill.
#8Cool_new_namePosted 8/15/2012 8:59:33 AM
smiledk posted...
Cool_new_name posted...

That's a little disappointing. Pooping on undergeared people is one of the fun things about online games. :S

Anet likes e-sport. So they like victories to promote the players and not their property.
#9PheemPosted 8/15/2012 9:00:21 AM
smiledk posted...
Cool_new_name posted...

You can still kind of have that experience in WvW. When you enter it, you're boosted up to lvl 80, but you still use the same equipment you've been using. Some people will have better gear than you here. Just how much of an advantage it will bring, I do not know though.
#10adgatoPosted 8/15/2012 9:19:46 AM
smiledk posted...
I've become moderately interested in Guild Wars 2 over the past couple weeks, but I'm staying cautious since i absolutely detested Guild Wars 1.

The biggest thing that has me worried about the game at the moment is how gear works. I've been hearing people say stuff to the effect of, "there is no gear grind." I've heard that you can leave the game for like 6 months, come back, and be able to jump right back into the "fight."

So how does gear work in Guild Wars 2? Have I been hearing wildly misinformed people? Is there a pretty standard gear system where you get gear with stats and harder guys drop gear with better stats? Is gear only cosmetic? What's the dealio?

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/46603-faq-equipment-attributes-and-you-updated/