Noob question

#1deklorePosted 8/17/2012 4:40:13 AM
Listen, i know this sounds like a stupid question considering the title of this game, but do most people actually join guilds? I mean are the advantages of being in a guild too much to ignore or would it be okay to go through the PvE content solo without joining a guild at all?

I know that guild influences can result in perks and whatnot, but is this a big part of the gameplay?
---
PSN: deklore
#2SolidFischerPosted 8/17/2012 4:43:30 AM
I assume it would be like the original where most people did join Guilds, very few people I encountered that were Guild-less chose to be Guild-less (as inactive people often get kicked from guilds).
---
Fear is only what you feel.
#3KortezPosted 8/17/2012 4:50:17 AM
I would say that being in a guild is pretty much the same as any other mmo. You can pretty much play most of the game solo and the parts you can't solo there will most likely be people in the area you can partner with to kill a boss or do a group quest with. So you don't NEED a guild just to do pve.
They may make forming parties for the dungeons a bit easier though later I'm sure, but even then you can just look for people in the area who also want to do them.

You don't get any guild buffs, or such so if joining one is something you don't like you can avoid them here too. Doing organized things in pvp will be easier in a guild then just hoping you can attach yourself onto a zerg group.
---
It took longer to load the match then it did to beat you....
#4DarkDruidSSPosted 8/17/2012 4:50:53 AM
Since the game is Guild Wars.... I would hope most people are actually in a guild. It will be hard to do sPvP and WvW without being in a guild at some point I would think because you will be fighting people in competitive teams that will generally roll over randoms.

In PvE I guess it wouldn't be such an issue.
---
Have you seen my marbles?
#5XGaltPosted 8/17/2012 10:24:26 AM
Yeah you definitely want to be in a guild if you're going to put some time in this game and get the most out of it. My advise though is to shop around and don't just join the first guild that invites you. Get to know a few of the members and see what's going on with their webpage, what they have planned, etc. You'll be able to sniff out the wishy washy guilds from the good guilds, and see if the guild you're joining might be a little to hardcore for your taste.
---
"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
GT/PSN: GnuX
#6deklore(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2012 10:28:47 AM
In that case i better put some thought into which server i join!
---
Karmic Dragon2003 - I don't see why people feel the need to fight over which game is or isn't better than another game.
#7OkamiakuPosted 8/18/2012 3:46:15 AM
deklore posted...
Listen, i know this sounds like a stupid question considering the title of this game, but do most people actually join guilds? I mean are the advantages of being in a guild too much to ignore or would it be okay to go through the PvE content solo without joining a guild at all?

I know that guild influences can result in perks and whatnot, but is this a big part of the gameplay?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild

You tell me ?

Or do we have another Sword Art Online convert?
---
- Black Shuck - Member of Black Hounds Hunting team
I walk the Darkest of Paths, that of Eternal Death..
#8Cool_new_namePosted 8/18/2012 3:48:41 AM(edited)
Okamiaku beat me to it. I think we need to sticky a topic with the official wiki listed.
It answers most questions anyone asks.

This page specifically should offer more than enough incentive to join a guild.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence
#9OkamiakuPosted 8/18/2012 8:38:56 AM
Cool_new_name posted...
Okamiaku beat me to it. I think we need to sticky a topic with the official wiki listed.
It answers most questions anyone asks.

This page specifically should offer more than enough incentive to join a guild.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence

Guilds and WvWvW aquistions are going to be great resources to fight over.
---
- Black Shuck - Member of Black Hounds Hunting team
I walk the Darkest of Paths, that of Eternal Death..
#10koroko_korobasePosted 8/18/2012 8:42:25 AM
The fact that this game allows you to join multiple guilds means that there is no reason to NOT join a guild.
---
It's like snorting a powdered rainbow while eating Nyan Cat....