What was with the decision behind no mounts?

#31CruxisInhibitorPosted 8/18/2012 11:34:22 PM
gazimon posted...
The part I'm reading is basically:

The Map system in the game allows for you to pay a fee to quick travel to waypoints around the game world as long as you’ve been to them before.

So I guess the reason people are saying they'd be useless is you can quick travel from -anywhere- ?? You don't have to be in a town or city in order to use quick-travel?

I'd like to see mounts as much as the next guy, but i just don't think they fit in with the game's theme. GW1 never had mounts and i can't imagine what they would even make available for mount options since there's really no in-lore depiction of mounts in the universe. The methodology behind my claim is that with the waypoint system, ease of buffing, a highly instanced story / dungeon system, and the organic, overworld Dynamic Event questing system all come together to make the idea of mounts an unnecessary concept. I think it would detract from the game, in it's current state, more than add to it. In WoW, mounts are some type of arbitrary anti-greifing mechanic that the game makes necessary because of its' archaic design. The same is not true for GW2, so let's be honest. Who doesn't like the idea of mounts? They just don't fit into the game as it is. I really hope this gets the point across, i'd really rather not pick apart and explain why each individual system applies friction to the implementation of mounts in GW2.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#32CruxisInhibitorPosted 8/18/2012 11:38:04 PM
HolyKnight199 posted...
Mounts would be a nice thing to save for an expansion, but it would have to be more then a speed increase because waypoints make that pointless.

Something like mounted combat... Let's say mounting changed your weapon skills to a mount skillset. Now that would be cool.

That is a great idea...i like the idea of fighting in a PvP arena called Dragon's Domain or something where you had to cap points with a flying dragon mount or different mounts...like a WvW with an aerial addition..that'd be cool to see in WvW.
---
#33dejavu1982Posted 8/18/2012 11:39:36 PM
havok718 posted...
I'd settle for 0% speed increase mounts. They're just a cool thing to have, even if they provide no function. Actually I'd say we need mounts in WvW, some of those treks are horrendous.

Not to mention the huge missed opportunity of not selling unique (but same speed) mounts in the cash shop.

it would be a stupid idea, either that or give you a long respawn time, if everybody was able to just hop on there horse or whatever, zerging a fortress wall, would become impossible, theres a reason why it takes so long to get from point a to point b.
#34gazimon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 11:40:30 PM
george43 posted...
Mounts are stupid on principle.

"click a button and move x% faster!"

Why not just make x% the normal speed if it's so important?

MMO's generally (open to discussion if you seriously want to throw examples at me) make Mounts inaccessible until your character reaches a far more powerful level, at which point it's also probable you'll be passing through a lot of the same content you've seen and or done before. It can also help make far more mundane tasks such as mining/gathering etc more... 'involving' by not having to run around on foot at 100% speed simply searching for nodes.

Obviously the way Guild Wars 2 handles their content scaling, waypoints (as I have discovered) etc invalidates many of these points, but it is a way of rewarding players who have reached a certain point with the ability to do the same things as before, be it exploring, gathering or what not, but simply at a faster speed.
That's how I feel about it in any case. I'm sure others would disagree.
---
-Can you take off the top screen of the DS without actually breaking the DS and destroying the warranty? - Pacman_89
#35gazimon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 11:48:20 PM
CruxisInhibitor posted...
gazimon posted...
The part I'm reading is basically:

The Map system in the game allows for you to pay a fee to quick travel to waypoints around the game world as long as you’ve been to them before.

So I guess the reason people are saying they'd be useless is you can quick travel from -anywhere- ?? You don't have to be in a town or city in order to use quick-travel?

I'd like to see mounts as much as the next guy, but i just don't think they fit in with the game's theme. GW1 never had mounts and i can't imagine what they would even make available for mount options since there's really no in-lore depiction of mounts in the universe. The methodology behind my claim is that with the waypoint system, ease of buffing, a highly instanced story / dungeon system, and the organic, overworld Dynamic Event questing system all come together to make the idea of mounts an unnecessary concept. I think it would detract from the game, in it's current state, more than add to it. In WoW, mounts are some type of arbitrary anti-greifing mechanic that the game makes necessary because of its' archaic design. The same is not true for GW2, so let's be honest. Who doesn't like the idea of mounts? They just don't fit into the game as it is. I really hope this gets the point across, i'd really rather not pick apart and explain why each individual system applies friction to the implementation of mounts in GW2.

Yeah, clearly the overwhelming public opinion in this thread is that mounts are not needed, and would detract from the game. I never played GW1 either, so it's nice to see that the concept of no mounts isn't a new thing that they're trying out!

And you're right, I forgot totally about the anti-griefing component of mounts in my earlier post which again isn't applicable in this game.
---
-Can you take off the top screen of the DS without actually breaking the DS and destroying the warranty? - Pacman_89
#36CruxisInhibitorPosted 8/18/2012 11:55:40 PM
Like i said, i could be wrong. I really think the sky is the limit for GW2. If they make the story believable enough, there really is room for them to do just about anything with expansion content. I would like to see them flesh out the rest of Tyria so that this game becomes bigger than anyone could have ever dreamed.
---
#37Wedge55Posted 8/19/2012 3:00:32 AM
Mounts are bling that alters game play. That explains why players want them and why they can be a major design pitfall all at once. I've never seen a MMO add mounts after the fact that wasn't purely for marketing reasons. Especially when they start touting the whole mounted combat thing, that's about the point you know the devs are completely off their rockers and the game is going to hell.

The only way mounts and vehicles can really be done right is if they're a core mechanic of game play from the start. As Guild Wars 2 focuses on man to man combat, mounts have no real place in the core design.

Also can we give it a rest on the "omg, died in WvW, took 20 minutes to run back." No it didn't. It takes significantly less than that to traverse the maps. Also if it didn't take time to run back then you could never defeat the enemy long enough to benefit from it. There'd also be no benefit to purchasing waypoints.
#38RealTidesPosted 8/19/2012 3:17:50 AM
Rizzonater posted...
They should make it so that Asura can use Charr as mounts if they're in a party or something

LOL
just LOL
#39Cool_new_namePosted 8/19/2012 3:33:49 AM(edited)
I can totally see that in the future, the game will probably have context sensitive mounts. Stuff in the world you can hop on and it'll be like getting into a golem. You can move around on it, and your skillbar will change to it's skills. But it won't be your possession, just a tool in the area for gameplay purposes.

Like how in Guild Wars they had these things.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Siege_Devourer
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Desert_Wurm_%28disguise%29
#40gazimon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2012 3:48:28 AM
Wedge55 posted...
Mounts are bling that alters game play. That explains why players want them and why they can be a major design pitfall all at once. I've never seen a MMO add mounts after the fact that wasn't purely for marketing reasons. Especially when they start touting the whole mounted combat thing, that's about the point you know the devs are completely off their rockers and the game is going to hell.

The only way mounts and vehicles can really be done right is if they're a core mechanic of game play from the start. As Guild Wars 2 focuses on man to man combat, mounts have no real place in the core design.

I can agree with that. One of the pains of levelling alts came from having to move around like a turtle for so many levels until you can buy said mount, or in WoW's case having to get to 40, then 60, then 70, then epic riding, then cold weather, then master.

I can totally see that in the future, the game will probably have context sensitive mounts. Stuff in the world you can hop on and it'll be like getting into a golem. You can move around on it, and your skillbar will change to it's skills. But it won't be your possession, just a tool in the area for gameplay purposes.

Do we get control of trebuchets and siege engines in WvW? Or are they automated? If the former that's kinda the same thing no?

I hate to keep playing the name-game with WoW but it's the only major MMO i've really played. That said some of the quests involving getting into a vehicle of sorts were awesome. TOR's space warfare would've been incredible had it been open, but even then it wasn't all bad!
---