GW2 vs. Final Fantasy XIV

#51adgatoPosted 8/20/2012 2:28:32 AM
Vordrax posted...
As someone who is playing FFXIV right now with some friends:

Pro
It's a Final Fantasy game (this is subjective.)

Con
The user interface is absolutely atrocious, one of the worst I've seen in a title of this supposed caliber (and I played Anarchy Online.)

It takes several clicks to accomplish anything in the menus, and often several seconds for each action to occur. The inventory is a completely different screen from the character's equipment screen. The ability to sort the inventory is incredibly limited. You start off with an inventory size of 200(!) which means that a few levels in, your inventory will be an unmanageable mess.

Quick and precise targeting is nearly impossible. Cycling through targets with tab is a crapshoot at best, targeting seemingly at random with no discernible pattern; clicking is marginally better, due to the terrible hit detection for mouse events.

The action bars are somewhat customizable, but those options are hidden under layers of menus and selections which are not user friendly in the slightest.

Character abilities activate incredibly slowly, with some sort of invisible global cooldown that has to be several seconds long. Healing is a chore at best and a nightmare at worse, as you spam your abilities praying they'll get off in time.

They implemented levequests to make leveling easier than grinding, but they are limited- you get 4 every 12 hours (though they do stack.) And they're not very interesting, they're basically grinding but with more running involved. Grinding tends to be much more efficient.

There are no words to describe the "auction house" in this game- at least, none with positive synonyms. The system implemented somehow manages to be worse than the bazaar that Everquest introduced in its 4th expansion (or so.) It has to be seen to be believed, it really is that bad.

And honestly? The game is boring. Somehow it manages to feel more dated than Final Fantasy XI, or maybe I'm just able to overlook FFXI's flaws because of its age. The problems with FFXIV are simply inexcusable. At the end of the day, it's just really, very, irredeemably , mind-numbingly boring. It manages to be uninteresting on almost every conceivable level. It really is a shame.

EDIT: Given the number of people on this board who have played Dark Age of Camelot, I can say this:

The PvE in Final Fantasy XIV feels clunkier and less satisfying than the PvE in Dark Age of Camelot. And there is no PvP in FFXIV.

Good summation. Completely accurate from what I saw when I played.
#52adgatoPosted 8/20/2012 2:46:56 AM
ScorpeX posted...
I don't like FFXIV but V2 has potential and it's at least a proper MMO, unlike what GW2 turned out to be.

Of course you think that, since you are FF fanboy who posts on the FF14 board all the time. But that doesn't mean you should mislead others by telling them FF14 is good. It is the worst MMO ever released and 2.0 will probably be just as bad. SE has hoards of fanboys who buy their games even though they suck, because they made good games inthe PAST. They have no clue about PC gaming, MMOs, or modern gaming. If it wasn't for their loyal fanboys who will buy anything no matter how bad, they would be bankrupt ten times over. Any company that would release FF14 in the state that it was in at launch has no respect for it's customers, and deserves to fail.... which it did.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/16/investor-ragequits-square-enix-over-final-fantasy-xiv-sells-1-of-the-company/
#53DiogladiusPosted 8/20/2012 3:34:21 AM
Square hasn't released anything worth a damn since ff12 and that wasn't even that great.
#54ilovemuddingPosted 8/20/2012 4:56:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFCtdTKl5sI

This player made a video because she gets a lot of questions about whether she would recommend the game to other people.

Remember, this player not only plays FFXIV, but posts videos on how to play.
#55kamikaze135Posted 8/20/2012 5:54:11 AM
Devasmet posted...
FFXIV should fill your PvE needs, lacks PvP, FFXI had PvP but it wasn't even serious, if you want deep story, pve gameplay, FFXIV will def the game to be.

2.0 will have PvP
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#56kamikaze135Posted 8/20/2012 5:58:14 AM
Nagisa_Shinju posted...
@Nagisa_Shinju

- There is absolutely no way for you to know how optimized the engine is

- It's going to be $40 when 2.0 launches. Same goes with the PS3 version, IIRC.

- 2.0 is a complete revamp so nobody knows if it's worth the price or not yet.

The hardware requirement is supposed to be lower for 2.0 than the current version of the game. The engine is "supposed" to allow gamers with low end PCs to run it while still looking graphically impressive on higher end PCs. We'll see how that turns out though.

- When people with high end systems encounter low FPS stutter, higher than average temps., and shadow glitches, I can't assume that the engine has been well optimized. If we're talking about 2.0, you're absolutely right. With my experience with the game, friends' experiences and random others' posts on the net, I can't say the game as it is now is well optimized. If that has changed since I stopped playing, that's nothing but good news and my opinion is rather void.

- Gamestop had the game for 9.99 last week, IIRC, it's 19.99 right now. My local walmart has a few with the Rollback sticker on it for 9.99. So, if the TC were to purchase FFXIV, it would be best to do it locally and ASAP, opposed to waiting for 2.0.... price-wise anyway.

- I tend not to think much about the promises of what a game will be, but more on what the game is now. I've seen extreme amounts of negativity towards the game in it's current state. It's true, no one knows if 2.0 is worth the box price and a continuous payment. Then again, 2.0 isn't here and I'm assuming the TC want to make a quick decision since GW2 is about a week away.

- Yeah with all of the replies talking about 2.0, I assume that's what we're all talking about. Also, with the 1.0 server going down soon anyway, I would say it only makes sense to talk about XIV in regards to the 2.0 release.

- You're right.

- This thread makes little sense. GW2 is indeed less than a week away while XIV won't be out till early 2013 with alpha coming out next month and beta shortly after. I'm definitely taking a break from XIV and jumping into GW2 while 2.0 comes out.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#57ShibutoPosted 8/20/2012 6:00:43 AM
2.0 will relaunch the game, meaning it will cost more when it is released.

no it wont...As a matter of fact current subscribers will have 2.0 for free
---
I own all 3 systems therefore I am unbiased: 360 > PS3 >> Wii -Bill Gates Son
#58Waste0fLifePosted 8/20/2012 6:44:26 AM
Shouldn't people just look at the user's level before responding to this kind of incredibly obvious trolling?
---
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5674/yn031.jpg
#59Damien94Posted 8/20/2012 7:04:51 AM
adgato posted...

Of course you think that, since you are FF fanboy who posts on the FF14 board all the time. But that doesn't mean you should mislead others by telling them FF14 is good. It is the worst MMO ever released and 2.0 will probably be just as bad. SE has hoards of fanboys who buy their games even though they suck, because they made good games inthe PAST. They have no clue about PC gaming, MMOs, or modern gaming. If it wasn't for their loyal fanboys who will buy anything no matter how bad, they would be bankrupt ten times over. Any company that would release FF14 in the state that it was in at launch has no respect for it's customers, and deserves to fail.... which it did.

Replace every mention of SE in here with EA/Bioware and change FF14 to Swtor or any recently released Bioware game, and it would be true.
---
That makes no sense, I have never once trolled in my life. -- Xeeh_Bitz
#60darkjedilinkPosted 8/20/2012 7:06:37 AM
Damien94 posted...
adgato posted...

Replace every mention of SE in here with EA/Bioware and change FF14 to Swtor or any recently released Bioware game, and it would be true.

TOR launched in better shape than FF14 is in now, almost two years after launch.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie