Anyone miss the old 6 hour raids?

#111NofoundationPosted 8/20/2012 7:12:40 AM
DraconisRex posted...
AdeptMage posted...
Actually yes, I do miss raiding now that I don't have the drive to do it anymore. It was fun.

You never had to do it you know. You don't have to bash optional content that gw2 is lacking.

Sorry, but yes because of the magic of social commitments and expectations you "HAD" to run them when you were one of the top-tanks and/or top-healers. You 'had' to run them when you were the guild leader, second in command or an officer (that was more than just a recruitment position).

Now, if you were some casual... No. You didn't have to because there few real ties for that group. They came. They went. We forgot their names within days, or weeks for the more memorable...

But if you were core to the guild... Yeah, you had to raid. And if you didn't... Some people ended leaving on bad terms when they lost their spots for 'not raiding' or 'casual raiding.'

awww you poor thing. Peer pressure used to bother me when I was in middle school. You realize there is nothing any videogame can do to force you into something right? Last time I checked every man is in charge of his own commitments, don't try to blame a game or a feature of a game.
---
"An account created 7 years ago is my alt"-Warhammeronl speaking about DarkSoulPriest
#112NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 8/20/2012 7:14:01 AM
Only the Karazhan runs where half the raid is drunk as hell and random gibberish is pouring through the comms all night.
#113Q_SenseiPosted 8/20/2012 7:21:37 AM
I find it disgusting that people find this nostalgic. Of course I've never been in a situation where I could spend a quarter of my day playing a video game; I've always had better things to do.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#114VoxwikPosted 8/20/2012 9:14:01 AM(edited)
Nofoundation posted...
DraconisRex posted...
AdeptMage posted...
Actually yes, I do miss raiding now that I don't have the drive to do it anymore. It was fun.

You never had to do it you know. You don't have to bash optional content that gw2 is lacking.

Sorry, but yes because of the magic of social commitments and expectations you "HAD" to run them when you were one of the top-tanks and/or top-healers. You 'had' to run them when you were the guild leader, second in command or an officer (that was more than just a recruitment position).

Now, if you were some casual... No. You didn't have to because there few real ties for that group. They came. They went. We forgot their names within days, or weeks for the more memorable...

But if you were core to the guild... Yeah, you had to raid. And if you didn't... Some people ended leaving on bad terms when they lost their spots for 'not raiding' or 'casual raiding.'

awww you poor thing. Peer pressure used to bother me when I was in middle school. You realize there is nothing any videogame can do to force you into something right? Last time I checked every man is in charge of his own commitments, don't try to blame a game or a feature of a game.

They put had in quotes. Unless you've skipped raids and then come back the next day to a bunch of people thrilled you are on because things tend to go terribly when you aren't on you can't really understand this. My guild has a couple people competent to run things if I'm not on right now, but I'm still counted on. In the past there were times when there would be 54+ people online to raid and if I wasn't on they would fumble around and not get much of anything done of significance. It's better now but they still avoid some fights if myself or like two others aren't on to set stuff up and lead raids.

The fact is I have 80+ people that count on me to lead their raids. Those are all real people, and while I would not put them before real life commitments I take it very seriously that they count on me leading those raids. Similarly for a healer or tank they may miss a raid and then find out the guild was unable to do much of anything (this is especially bad in EQ1 where clerics are pretty much THE heal class, with the druids/shamans as second and third fiddle, and for many events the same holds true for warriors vs. shadowknights and paladins). It's not as bad as it used to be, but what they said makes perfect sense to me. I think it says more about the pitfalls of class design that is too specialized though. In a system that has archetypes overlapping, as I hear WoW does but I don't play it, that is less likely to be a problem I'd imagine since someone else could just respec to another role or whatever the term is.

That same problem also empowers prima donnas as well, because they can get away with their drama when they are of a required class. The fact is some classes are so much more important than others for raiding (in EQ at least) that guilds will put up with a lot more garbage from members of those classes than others, out of operational necessity.

It's literally possible to have 60 people online waiting to fill up a 54 person raid and be unable to do much of anything in current content because you lack a couple members of a small handful of classes.

All of that puts not only peer pressure but personal pressure on yourself, if you care at least, because when you have literally dozens of people counting on you and if you care about your guild at some point, for me at least, the game becomes more about the social cooperation than having fun. I've had more fun in dozens of games than in Everquest, yet I still play it for my guild and friends. Some days are fun. Others are a total chore.
#115Xeeh_BitzPosted 8/20/2012 9:11:44 AM
Demonee-Ho posted...
"The past few years"
By then the population would have stabilized, that is to say those who had already bought the game wouldn't need to buy another copy. 7 million is just indicative of the flow of people into the game. Those already playing the game contributed money via in-game shops. Costumes, minis and cosmetic doodads generated income form players already in the game.

Oh and in-game cosmetic doodads and convenience items have the potential to generate large sums of revenue. Look at most F2P games, and look at why many MMOs decided to go F2P.

If the box price becomes an obstacle to people accessing the Gem Shop, and if their projections shows that they would make enough money off of the Gem Shop alone, there's the possibility that they would discount or even make the game free.

TF2 shows that this method works. Take away the barrier to entry and have the newcomers splurge on the item shop items. (Let's hope GW2 doesn't take it as far as to ruin the game's balance as Valve did with TF2)

But maybe what you said about NCSoft shoveling them money is also true. That's also another resource they have. NCSoft likely has some level of faith into the project in order to shovel them so much money.

Yeah, have you seen the game ever get close to free? lol

Guess this is why..

http://mmofallout.com/2012/02/15/ncsoft-q4-finances-salesprofit-down/ <--Chart for the past 7 or so years.

and NCSoft went F2P route with Aion, cash shop just is not doing so well.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/08/ncsoft-weathers-6m-loss-in-q2/

Aion was also blamed for the company's financial woes, as revenues in that title sharply decreased due to fewer microtransaction sales.

People just are not buying the entire microtransaction thing, Aion is now a completely F2P game so people can easily put a few bucks here and there into the cash shop, but NCSoft is experiencing slight discouragement from that model, so do you really think they'll actually plan the live team's budget around the cash shop?
#116george43Posted 8/20/2012 9:13:10 AM
I do not miss 6 hour raids.

Yes they were fun for a while.

But when you had to keep rezzing and running back because some dumbass couldn't grasp a concept, it got old fast.
#117Setio123Posted 8/20/2012 9:19:06 AM
I played Molten Core and Black Wing Lair in the vanilla days and felt my soul shriveling to husk.

Videogames are fun, not something I want to structure my life around like job for some virtual goodies delegated by virtual overlord every content patch.

So, no I do not miss it. 5 man dungeons are way better than raids IMO.
---
I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIGHTTTT!!!
#118Xeeh_BitzPosted 8/20/2012 10:19:34 AM
News Flash, according to a leak it's going to take 5 hours to finish a dungeon!

So much for those demographics 'eh

Shame, if I wanted to spend 5 hours in content, I'd at least want it to be more epic such as a raid.
#119MBO-SephyPosted 8/20/2012 10:20:25 AM
You spend 5 hours in a dungeon if you fail too much.

Way to put stuff out of context. But since you're Xeeh, I'm not sure why I'm surprised.
#120Xeeh_BitzPosted 8/20/2012 10:22:12 AM
MBO-Sephy posted...
You spend 5 hours in a dungeon if you fail too much.

Way to put stuff out of context. But since you're Xeeh, I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

I'm just going based on the leak information from testers

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/63797766

"It took us 5 hours to do explorable Arah. That sh!t is on a level of its own. I always laugh when I see people say "no PvE content" because I know after release it will be a different story."