Server Population?

#1doug123Posted 8/21/2012 5:42:51 PM
I'm new to MMO's so I was wondering if a high server population is a bad thing? Is it better to try to join a server with a medium population? Are high pop servers laggier and full of people killing the npcs you're trying to fight?
#2ShadosAtPhoenixPosted 8/21/2012 5:45:05 PM
In this game you pretty much want as high population as possible, though with the way server swaps work, I'd expect them to even out pretty quickly.

Its extremely rare to be in a situation where people around will hinder you, as if you fight an enemy someone else is fighting, you both get credit... events scale with number of people, etc etc etc.

As ArenaNet said: "This player isn't coming to steal your kill. He's coming to make it more epic!"
#3doug123(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2012 5:46:56 PM
Will that mean there is a long join queue or a lot of lag or anything though?
#4MadTimPosted 8/21/2012 5:46:58 PM
I have a friend that won't be able to get the game for up to a month(his computer fried) so for me, joining a server that I know is going to cap out wouldn't be a good idea if I want to be on the same server as him. Also, you can guest on any server you want so that you can play with friends but all your pvp and WvWvW is limited to playing with only you fellow server mates.
---
"I'm not doing it because all the cool kids are doing it, I'm doing it because I'm a cool kid."
#5doug123(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2012 5:48:44 PM
Will servers with more people have an advantage in WvW?
#6GaMeFr33kPosted 8/21/2012 5:50:56 PM
doug123 posted...

WvW has a player cap, WELL below the actually population of even the lowest servers. Also, servers are ranked, so the best servers only play the other best servers. Same goes for the bad servers and middle tier servers.
---
Level 36: Ancient of TrollFAQ's
#7phaselotusPosted 8/21/2012 5:53:10 PM
killing the npcs you are trying to fight isnt an issue the biggest one is trying to log in to servers i say medium population
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/phaselotus?feature=mhee
xbox live: SR DrillPeePee
#8steker16Posted 8/21/2012 5:57:00 PM
The overflow system says hi. There will be no issue with server queues in this game
---
nomnomnom
#9ShadosAtPhoenixPosted 8/21/2012 6:07:01 PM
overflow servers mean there's only a minimal inconvenience if you log in on a full server. You just get less people around you...thats (almost) it.
#10doug123(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2012 6:52:07 PM
GaMeFr33k posted...
doug123 posted...

WvW has a player cap, WELL below the actually population of even the lowest servers. Also, servers are ranked, so the best servers only play the other best servers. Same goes for the bad servers and middle tier servers.

Does that mean other players could potentially fill the WvW team before you get on it?