Need to decide between this and Rift

#1ColdOne666Posted 8/25/2012 11:03:06 PM
Played WoW, Swtor, Aion, Warhammer Online, Atlantica Online, on of the 2 games in the title will be my new fix.

If anybody has played Rift and is now trying GW2 compare them and give me some info plz.
---
"Pitiful mortals. Your hope ends here...And your meaningless existence with it!"
#2greatone101Posted 8/25/2012 11:07:13 PM
I have played Rift for around 6-7 months. Both games are different. Rift i actually liked, much better than SWTOR and WoW. BUT last i remember Rift had really bad PVP balancing. A new person trying PVP will get owned and it will be a hard time getting up to the geared pvpers.

Rift also has a sub which is a downside. Get GW2 now and maybe Rift later. I heard the new expansion for Rift also includes the main game with it but it will be out in a few months i think.
#3HowiedodatPosted 8/25/2012 11:07:31 PM
Rift is great, I have played it for about a year, it is basically a WoW clone, but much, much more. I suggest going to Riftgame.com and checking it out for sure. Rift does have a sub fee, and GW2 does not, so if you got an extra 15 bucks, I say play both. Also, you can download Rift Lite and play for free up to level 20 with minimal restrictions. It is indeed a great game, regardless of its WoW like features and I played WoW for 6 years.
---
Toon.
#4pies12Posted 8/25/2012 11:08:05 PM
Rift for pve
This for pvp
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#5mousehammerPosted 8/25/2012 11:13:13 PM
Rift is not a bad game but it's highly derivative of WoW. If you've put any time into WoW then you will instantly recognize alot of it's traits when you start playing Rift. It's still a good game with it's own distinctive characteristics but it's also 80% WoW clone. GW2 on the other hand is not. Also, with no sub it makes for a better value all-around. Still, if you're looking for a more loot-driven game then Rift would be it, as GW2 has a horizontal loot system (i.e. there is no twinking in GW2, everyone is on a level playing field.) Also the skill system in GW2 is a bit strange; some may like it and some may not.

What this boils down to is: if you want a more "traditional" MMO experience, go with Rift. If you want something a little different, go with GW2. Either way they're both solid games, although since GW2 is just a newborn right now it's probably going to see alot changes over the coming months, whereas Rift has already had some time to establish itself and right now contains more content than GW2 due to some rather large updates. (I think there's even an expansion right around the corner for Rift.)

Personally I'd go with GW2 but that's mainly because I'm tired of the same-old MMO formula, and the mechanics of this game make it instantly more appealing to me. (That and I spent alot of time with the original GW so there is a bit of a nostalgia factor for me.)

Now if I were to have to choose between WoW and Rift, I would probably go with Rift (even though it's a clone of the former, I kinda think it's also the better game.)

Hope this helps.
#6Greendragon854Posted 8/25/2012 11:13:27 PM
I certainly liked Rift better than WoW, though I couldn't play it more than a month because I was burned out on that formula. If you aren't, you could do a whole lot worse than Rift! However, I haven't had this much fun in ANY game, MMO or not, in a very long time. I really do think its incredible, and I don't understand most of the whining going on right now. Though the people whining have the writing abilities of a dyslexic cockroach...So intelligence may be a factor there.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#7VladFrostPosted 8/25/2012 11:20:13 PM(edited)
I think Guild Wars 2 feels like SWTOR, WoW and Rift combined. The "best" elements of each. The solo story similar to SWTOR (although missing dialog choices and other things), the overall grand scale MMO open world feel of WoW, and the dynamic world events of Rift (Rift is so fun when events happen and entire zones are attacked by enemy forces, it's like being in a war, it's like one big event involving everyone in the zone (well everyone who joins in, which it's hard not to join in when there's a bunch of enemies attacking).

You can play both you know. Rift is pretty cool imo but limited in it's choice of races, but there are an insane combination of class skills you can give your character. So what it lacks in race choice it makes up for in skill customization.

You can get Rift Lite for free and play levels 1-20. Guild Wars 2 is only 59.99 one time purchase. If you like Rift a lot it's inexpensive to upgrade to a full account but after that I believe it's pay to play, if you wanted to focus only on Rift there's nothing to stop you from dropping Guild Wars 2 and returning to it whenever.

EDIT: I swear though, when I first heard of Rift I thought I heard it was basically developed specifically for people who were tired of WoW and wanted to move on to something else. Like, Rift is sort of to WoW what Guild Wars 2 is to Guild Wars. Rift is basically WoW 2. It's much better than WoW imo.
#8ColdOne666(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2012 11:26:34 PM
I like PvP, dungeons and group quests but i don't raid so goign from the above GW2 is already ahead and i just read the stickied FAQ and WvWvW sounds awesome.

3 Different Worlds ganging up against each other or attacking different targets would be awesome if they did it right. Though the ranking system should mean that certain worlds shouldn't lose all the time, they just verse other lower ranked worlds.
---
"Pitiful mortals. Your hope ends here...And your meaningless existence with it!"
#9raver_zaktanPosted 8/26/2012 12:10:01 AM
ColdOne666 posted...
I like PvP, dungeons and group quests but i don't raid so goign from the above GW2 is already ahead and i just read the stickied FAQ and WvWvW sounds awesome.

3 Different Worlds ganging up against each other or attacking different targets would be awesome if they did it right. Though the ranking system should mean that certain worlds shouldn't lose all the time, they just verse other lower ranked worlds.

Yeah, based on that, GW2 sounds better. Rift tried to do Conquest which is 3faction PVP, but it's basically just a pretty tame WvWvW that's not as good. PvP is definitely better than Rift's, Rift tried to do normalization which GW2 already has but it didn't work out so as of now Rift PVP is just a lot of grind.

If you're into more "traditional" MMO's, want awesome and difficult raids, with a company that has major updates faster than any other MMO out there, Rift would be for you, but seeing as you're not really a raider then yeah, GW2.
#10Virtue777Posted 8/26/2012 12:12:50 AM
I sunk a good amount of time into Rift, only reason I left was because I hardly knew anyone playing the game, whereas I have a guild I've been in for years that is still dedicated to WoW (sadly).

I'm not really enjoying GW2 so much yet. There's a lot to like about it, but I have many issues with the game that I'd rather not delve too much into. It's still a solid game, perhaps just not for someone like me.

I don't think you can go wrong with Rift though. My only issue with that game is the hideous art style.