The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Staff Elementalist or bust (for PvE)

#1MedleymaksPosted 8/27/2012 9:02:11 AM
Anyone else feel that, with elementalists in PvE, a staff just seems to be the way to go. You maintain a healthy distance from enemies, the skills do much more damage, you've got two inherent healing spells in Water, and with attunement changing you can cycle through cooldowns pretty quickly.

Maybe in PvP or WvW, or in team play, other weapon setups are more effective, but I just find that in solo PvE, the staff is much more effective. Not only that, but the skill effects are just so much cooler, I think.

Thoughts?
#2meiyukiPosted 8/27/2012 9:07:13 AM
Double dagger should be the highest damage build for elementalist, it's scary. Earth has a lot of powerful bleeds and aoes, fire does what it always does, water can stack up vulnerability and chill stuff, and well I don't use wind much.
#3VINJARPosted 8/27/2012 9:08:14 AM
At level 11 now and as much fun as the dual dagger set up is, I have to agree that staff owns so far.
#4Medleymaks(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 10:00:37 AM
honestly when I dual-daggered in the last open beta, it didn't seem to hold against a staff, at least in PvE. I'm not sure what they've changed since then, but do they overshadow staff?
#5zach12_2Posted 8/27/2012 10:03:02 AM
Yep, that's what I main. It's great for disorganizing groups in WvW too. Air is basically all about disruption and keeping foes at a distance. Earth is about dot. And three of the four attunements have some way of slowing/stopping enemies. Perfect for staying at ranged distance.
---
On my Gamefaqs CruxisInhibitor, Nofoundation, Xeeh_Bitz, and Karmic Dragon***, NCPwn all have the same tag.
#6Anodyne11Posted 8/27/2012 10:03:59 AM
It depends. Personally I prefer to use staff in open areas but in small spaces I prefer double dagger.
---
Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG this gen!
Official Ultimecia of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
#7Medleymaks(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 10:11:03 AM
interesting.

either way, it sounds like staff and dual daggers are better than any scepter and focus combination.
#8tcaz2Posted 8/27/2012 10:29:21 AM(edited)
I honestly don't see a reason to use focus at all. Off-hand dagger is just plain better than it even if you're using scepter.

But yeah staff seems to kick all the other ones asses on the whole. Unless you're going for a condition damage build I guess.
---
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2664/7b7aaa038007832d461b28c.jpg
#9SirGizmoPosted 8/28/2012 5:44:33 AM
What I've noticed in PvE, Scepter v Staff range doesn't really matter. Melee is the danger zone (usually), anything outside of melee is equally dangerous.

Scepter/Dagger also has two heals, so -shrugs-. Also feel like the single target damage output is much higher. If it's an AoE fight, I use the staff. Single target, Scepter/Dagger.
#10RileyRoperPosted 8/28/2012 5:46:43 AM
How are stats accounted for when you dual wield?
---
PSN Name: RileyRoper