PvE Ranger Build - Critique

#1_SeVeReD_Posted 8/28/2012 7:18:52 AM
Hey, all. Been looking around for a good Ranger build for PvE, and I'm wondering how this build looks to those of you who know what you're talking about.

http://www.gw2builds.org/view/713023/pve_ranger

Is there anything in there I should change at all? I was thinking of switching out Heal as One for Healing Spring... does that sound like a good idea? How are the traits as far as playing strictly PvE?

Also, I'm planning on running with a Polar Bear and Jungle Spider as pets.

Thanks, all.
#2HollandGrayPosted 8/28/2012 7:22:12 AM
I really don't like massive pet reliance, but that build seems plausible if you find the right pet.
#3HunterTorenPosted 8/28/2012 7:24:08 AM
How is ranger? I want to play a ranger but have been playing mesmer and a bit worried im gonna find a standard hit stuff lots kind of a class a bit boring.
#4_SeVeReD_(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2012 7:54:36 AM
HollandGray posted...
I really don't like massive pet reliance, but that build seems plausible if you find the right pet.

What is it that I should change to fix that? I like having pets, but I don't need to completely rely on them. If there are any changes you think I should make to optimize my build, i'd really appreciate the input. Thanks!

And to the other guy, so far I have a level 17 Necro, 8 Elementalist, and 7 Ranger. In the short time I've played as the Ranger, I already like it better than the others.
#5meltor13Posted 8/28/2012 8:06:49 AM(edited)
If you're going to spec Skirmishing like that you'd be better suited with a Hawk/Feline type pet, as they have the highest precision of pets, thus leading to more criticals, which in turn, according to your trait spec, leads to:

Life gain, 30% more damage, and might....all per critical hit.

A Feline pet would thrive with that spec.

You could always roll something like a Bear/Feline setup if you still wanted at least one tanky pet.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Beastmastery trait 'Compassion Training' only effects outgoing heals from the pet (some pets like Moas, Fern hounds, bears, etc. have an outgoing heal or regeneration buff...I believe that is what Compassion Training effects, not any incoming heals).

---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#6HollandGrayPosted 8/28/2012 8:08:05 AM
So far, my pet finds in Queensdale aren't really working it for me. Granted, I'm not boosting them but, the Stalker bobcat and the River Drake (While this one is fun cuz of lightning breath), usually just act as meat shields for a short time.

So I can't really say. Depends on the skills and traits you put up for pets.
#7_SeVeReD_(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2012 11:05:58 AM
I see. All right, thanks.

Does anybody have a build that would work well with a Bear/(Spider, Moa, Drake, w.e) combination? It doesn't have to be heavily reliant on the pets cuz I don't want to be helpless if they go down.

Thanks again for the input!
#8meltor13Posted 8/28/2012 11:24:52 AM
It really just depends on what you want to do.

Do you want to use the pet as more of a tank, while you sit back and pelt the enemies with arrows?

Do you want to be in the mix of things with Sword/Dagger or Greatsword, etc.?

Do you want to focus on ranged damage and/or condition damage? Do you want the pet to support you with specific skills and/or boons (knockdowns, etc.)

You just need to decide what pets you want to use and how you want to use them and then shape your build around how you want to use them.

Just as an example, a Feline pet + the build you provided + Sword/Greatsword combo would probably work really well, as you and the cat would be tearing people up in melee. The tanky pets like bears are more suited to just soak up damage while you attack enemies from afar.

If you don't want to "rely" on pets, you just need to pick one and just focus your build on yourself, basically a 'fire and forget' type deal.

IMO, though, a Ranger that builds around his pets and uses them in combination with his own skillset is using the Ranger to its fullest potential.
---
#9_SeVeReD_(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2012 11:42:24 AM
meltor13 posted...

Do you want to use the pet as more of a tank, while you sit back and pelt the enemies with arrows?

Do you want to focus on ranged damage and/or condition damage? Do you want the pet to support you with specific skills and/or boons (knockdowns, etc.)

You just need to decide what pets you want to use and how you want to use them and then shape your build around how you want to use them.

Just as an example, a Feline pet + the build you provided + Sword/Greatsword combo would probably work really well, as you and the cat would be tearing people up in melee. The tanky pets like bears are more suited to just soak up damage while you attack enemies from afar.

If you don't want to "rely" on pets, you just need to pick one and just focus your build on yourself, basically a 'fire and forget' type deal.

IMO, though, a Ranger that builds around his pets and uses them in combination with his own skillset is using the Ranger to its fullest potential.

Thanks for the advice. I'd really actually like to do the first option, lol. Have my pet tank and take aggro while I sit back and take pot shots at enemies. I'm just not sure of what a build like that would look like. Any advice? I'm assuming the longbow is still the primary, but I'm not really sure where to go from there.
#10meltor13Posted 8/28/2012 11:51:42 AM
_SeVeReD_ posted...
meltor13 posted...

Thanks for the advice. I'd really actually like to do the first option, lol. Have my pet tank and take aggro while I sit back and take pot shots at enemies. I'm just not sure of what a build like that would look like. Any advice? I'm assuming the longbow is still the primary, but I'm not really sure where to go from there.

I'm only level 16 so there's not much of a 'build' yet because I barely even have access to any of my traits, but I've been rolling around with a shortbow/Fern Hound....I've been using the Fern Hound to run in and then I flank and stack them with bleeds from the shortbow 1 skill. Enemies go down pretty quickly like that. I plan on focusing my build on toughness/condition damage and beastmastery, with some other points thrown here and there to suit me.

Longbow is nice for big groups with skills like Barrage, but I haven't really been able to get a handled on it yet. It is pretty good at keep away though with the Point Blank shot. It's just difficult to stay at range, which is where the Longbow's best damage comes from.

You could always use a Longbow for distance/group encounters, and then switch to something like a greatsword or a sword/dagger combo for melee. The skill chain for the one-handed sword grants might to your pet on every 3rd hit, so that's a nice bonus to stack might onto your pet. Greatsword Rangers are very viable too. I see them alot, both in PvP AND PvE.
---