Best PvE build for Mesmer

#1Q_SenseiPosted 9/4/2012 5:16:58 PM
I'm currently using something that will look like this once I hit level 80...

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgAQNAW7alwzaqHVzgGa9IBqHXX7cn0jWDbWXqwsB;TgAg1Cqogx4lwLrPOYk+A

Basically focused on improving the Confusion ability entirely. The two trees I went down were mostly for the stats - Increased Condition Damage and increased Condition Duration. An extra 33% on Confusion Duration makes it approximately +63% more duration. Signet of Domination is not really to be used - it's there to further increase the damage.

Scepter is the best way to apply Confusion for the Mesmer since it gives 5 stacks. All of the shatters cause confusion thanks to the minor trait.

Any builds that you think are better?
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#2Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2012 5:39:47 PM
Or would you say confusion damage isn't the best thing to do with the Mesmer?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#3Sylus2015Posted 9/4/2012 5:43:35 PM
That's a good build. It looks a lot like what I'm aiming for, actually.

I only have a few questions:
Why are you using a Pistol? As much as I absolutely adore the Pistol, the Torch is better for a Confusion build. The Stun and Daze effects (which are fantastic) of the Pistol sort of negate the effectiveness of a Confusion build. The only advantage I can see is setting down an Ethereal field with a Phantasmal Duelist out.
If decide to switch to a Torch, then you can use the Domination's Confusing Conflagration to really improve how quickly you can deal out more confusion.
I also don't know why you went with your Illusion traits. Wouldn't Confusing Cry fit in well and augment the "punish for attacking" style of the Confusion build?

Please don't take this as criticism. I have no idea how well the things I said would actually work and I don't really know your playstyle. They're just things to think about.

Nonetheless, as your ideal build stands, it really is a fantastic build for a Mesmer.
---
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent and discerning if he holds his tongue - Proverbs 17:28
For all intents and purposes, just know me as The Mute...
#4Sylus2015Posted 9/4/2012 5:45:24 PM
Confusion damage is the best way to go for Mesmer because condition damage ignores defenses and confusion punishes rapid-fire skills.

There are other ways to go for Mesmer, but I know that I'm personally a fan of the Confusion build and I know that it is a viable path.
---
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent and discerning if he holds his tongue - Proverbs 17:28
#5chicostickPosted 9/4/2012 5:49:56 PM
I would say confusion as well for the reasons stated above.

I can't find it anymore but there was a Greatsword Build that kind of focuses on PvE + Survivability.

I personally have tried Clones (aka Attack of the clones build) + Shatter in PvE and it wasn't working (although I did not get far though)
#6Sylus2015Posted 9/4/2012 6:22:27 PM
I personally have tried Clones (aka Attack of the clones build) + Shatter in PvE and it wasn't working (although I did not get far though)

Therein lies the issue with the Dolly build. It takes awhile before you've got the proper traits to make it effective, but I'd say that's another great build. Confusion cripples enemies who know that they can't fire off skills quickly and kills enemies who don't know that, but really focuses on an individual player (granted the "Shatter causes confusion" Trait makes it more crowd-effective, but still focuses on totally wrecking a single person). Clones provide massive AoE effects and the ability to mass produce them (again with the right Traits) can have devastating crowd-busting effects.

On the bright side, you can Trait it out so that you can freely switch between a Clone build and a Confusion build. They both benefit from Illusion and Domination trees. There might be a better tree than Domination if you're thinking about a Clone build (I'm not sure), but that doesn't make Domination ineffective.
---
#7linknparkfanPosted 9/4/2012 6:32:10 PM
Confusion is much less useful in PVE than in PVP, just skip condition damage for PVE and go Power build with Sword+Torch and Sword+Pistol The reason I recommend this build is because the Phantasm from Torch and the Phantasm from Pistol will blow mobs up (Cast Torch Phantasm, swap weapons, cast Gun Phantasm, watch it die). The tooltip doesn't really tell you but the Phantasm on Torch that reflects projectiles actually deals tons of damage when it's next to the mob----which is extremely viable in PVE where the mobs aren't moving randomly like players do in PVP.

Oh and the cooldown between the two Phantasms is relatively short, there shouldn't be too much downtime between it (Plus main hand sword skills are really strong too). Just be sure to grab all the Illusion/Phantasm damage increasing traits (The bleed trait bugs me because since bleed can stack so high, it actually ends up doing relatively good damage, however condition damage builds bleed damage which feels so opposite to me to be in the Dueling tree).
#8Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2012 6:45:12 PM
Sylus2015 posted...
That's a good build. It looks a lot like what I'm aiming for, actually.

I only have a few questions:
Why are you using a Pistol? As much as I absolutely adore the Pistol, the Torch is better for a Confusion build. The Stun and Daze effects (which are fantastic) of the Pistol sort of negate the effectiveness of a Confusion build. The only advantage I can see is setting down an Ethereal field with a Phantasmal Duelist out.
If decide to switch to a Torch, then you can use the Domination's Confusing Conflagration to really improve how quickly you can deal out more confusion.
I also don't know why you went with your Illusion traits. Wouldn't Confusing Cry fit in well and augment the "punish for attacking" style of the Confusion build?

Please don't take this as criticism. I have no idea how well the things I said would actually work and I don't really know your playstyle. They're just things to think about.

Nonetheless, as your ideal build stands, it really is a fantastic build for a Mesmer.

I mostly had pistol for the hard CC. There are times when you just need to pause the enemy for a moment. Torch is definitely better for bosses I think though. I'd probably switch out Shattered Concentration for Cleansing Conflagration with torch.

As far as Confusing Cry... I figured I'd be using Mind Wrack more than anything with this build since Illusionary Retribution makes all of your shatters cause confusion anyway (Also why I took the Mind Wrack damage increase and crit chance boost.)Though Mind Wrack will be on cooldown for 11 seconds... So you do have a point that it might be better to grab the retaliation buff over the 10% crit chance boost.
---
#9Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2012 6:46:50 PM
linknparkfan posted...
Confusion is much less useful in PVE than in PVP, just skip condition damage for PVE and go Power build with Sword+Torch and Sword+Pistol The reason I recommend this build is because the Phantasm from Torch and the Phantasm from Pistol will blow mobs up (Cast Torch Phantasm, swap weapons, cast Gun Phantasm, watch it die). The tooltip doesn't really tell you but the Phantasm on Torch that reflects projectiles actually deals tons of damage when it's next to the mob----which is extremely viable in PVE where the mobs aren't moving randomly like players do in PVP.

Oh and the cooldown between the two Phantasms is relatively short, there shouldn't be too much downtime between it (Plus main hand sword skills are really strong too). Just be sure to grab all the Illusion/Phantasm damage increasing traits (The bleed trait bugs me because since bleed can stack so high, it actually ends up doing relatively good damage, however condition damage builds bleed damage which feels so opposite to me to be in the Dueling tree).

I prefer being at range in PvE since it gives you more chance to survive with a less durable build if you happen to draw aggro (I swap to Staff, drop the AOE field and kite away at that point.)

And in PvE the enemy is going to be attacking regardless - Confusion can do some massive damage when you have this stacked up.
---
#10linknparkfanPosted 9/4/2012 7:24:12 PM
Q_Sensei posted...
I'm currently using something that will look like this once I hit level 80...

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgAQNAW7alwzaqHVzgGa9IBqHXX7cn0jWDbWXqwsB;TgAg1Cqogx4lwLrPOYk+A

Basically focused on improving the Confusion ability entirely. The two trees I went down were mostly for the stats - Increased Condition Damage and increased Condition Duration. An extra 33% on Confusion Duration makes it approximately +63% more duration. Signet of Domination is not really to be used - it's there to further increase the damage.

Scepter is the best way to apply Confusion for the Mesmer since it gives 5 stacks. All of the shatters cause confusion thanks to the minor trait.

Any builds that you think are better?

I'm just following your OP question.

I would say give it a try anyways, my suggestion, just because I'm positive you've done waaaay more PVE than I have and I'm curious if it is at all at least competitive to what build you've been using.