Where is Toughness/Armor noticeable?

#1TakeToHeartPosted 9/7/2012 2:54:24 PM
As a Warrior(currently level 78) I've tried to spec into toughness traits since they seem good on paper. Problem is, I tend to just die more often specced into toughness rather than precision/crit, since the enemy can usually kill me faster than I can kill it(this is more obvious when I go against bronze elites myself, dodging and everything).

This is all PvE, so if anyone can give insight where I'll start noticing it, that would be great.
---
~TakeToHeart
Words of wisdom
#2chicostickPosted 9/7/2012 3:07:35 PM
Toughness is used vs Condition Damage
#3redness19Posted 9/7/2012 3:15:34 PM
From Guild Wars 2 wiki

"Toughness is a defensive character attribute. Each attribute point put into toughness increases the armor of the character by one, which improves the character's ability to withstand direct damage. Toughness has no effect on falling damage."
#4CirrusStrafePosted 9/7/2012 3:15:50 PM
If you are soloing, you won't notice it precisely for the reasons you have stated. You want to kill as fast as possible in solo PvE.

When you are with a group, your job is to tag everything first, then kite it while your buddies blow it apart. Often times the most successful dungeon groups employ a self healing condition purging tough-vit tank to kite mobs while 4 ranged blow the enemies apart.

In WvW, toughness-vit tanks exist to distract the crap out of enemies, being in the front so they target you first while your spikers crush them.

In small PvP, toughness-vit tanks exist to hold the bloody crap out of a point and not kill anybody, stalling till backup arrives and drawing forces away from targets the rest of your team is going after.
---
One of these days they'll institute a mandatory skill and intelligence test for WoW. Only one server will be necessary after that, and it will be glorious.
#5chicostickPosted 9/7/2012 3:29:35 PM
CirrusStrafe posted...
If you are soloing, you won't notice it precisely for the reasons you have stated. You want to kill as fast as possible in solo PvE.

When you are with a group, your job is to tag everything first, then kite it while your buddies blow it apart. Often times the most successful dungeon groups employ a self healing condition purging tough-vit tank to kite mobs while 4 ranged blow the enemies apart.

In WvW, toughness-vit tanks exist to distract the crap out of enemies, being in the front so they target you first while your spikers crush them.

In small PvP, toughness-vit tanks exist to hold the bloody crap out of a point and not kill anybody, stalling till backup arrives and drawing forces away from targets the rest of your team is going after.

That's some nice info, thanks
#6ZaishiPosted 9/7/2012 3:43:48 PM
You need a lot of it for it to matter (every piece of gear has to have toughness at later levels, in addition to any traits), along with some half decent self healing ability. On my guardian I could solo champions with enough time and if people weren't so quick to join in. Everything else is basically harmless to me. A good greatsword does enough damage to quickly take down regular monsters and veterans rather quickly, even without any +power at all on my character.

Toughness makes the game really easy, so far on every character I've tried. It allows them to jump into swarms of monsters to drop AoEs without dying, or charge head first at bosses without any thought or support, and they can solo everything they find on the map. I really love it.
#7TakeToHeart(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2012 12:02:17 AM
CirrusStrafe posted...

If your words were a woman, I'd marry her.

Anywho, just hit level 80, so I'll be focusing on PvP and seeing how much truth this rings, thanks.
---
~TakeToHeart
Words of wisdom