mesmer traits?

#1StaticPenguinPosted 9/8/2012 7:24:40 PM(edited)
Which one is best for a dual sword user?
---
I named him Waggleton P. Tallylicker. I never got the chance to tell him. He will be remembered. ~ Grayson Hunt
#2lyntersparkPosted 9/8/2012 8:04:33 PM
the one that gives precision, the second one down i believe. this is because of the +50 precision to swords on the second tier i believe
#3alt_realityPosted 9/8/2012 8:19:55 PM(edited)
I had a post here but then I took another look at the traits... I think this will work nicely if your main source of damage is dual swords.

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.8.7.3.0.14.0.0.0.0.180.196.197.198.205.0.0.0.527.526.0.544.550.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.586.591.597.20.20.0.0.30

You have to use Blurred Frenzy and Illusionary Riposte defensively with this setup as the Mesmer is pretty fragile. Abuse shatter skills and dodging and it should work rather well.

Realistically speaking, a more defensive Mesmer with a staff as its secondary is going to be more useful since things get so flipping chaotic in some events that you don't have much choice other than to stand back and mash auto-attack buuuuut if you want to be DPS god this should get you close.
---
"We running out of time!" Sigurd, Typogears
#4blakenickPosted 9/8/2012 9:59:25 PM
I'd have to recommend against going melee mesmer, at later levels and in dungeons with mobs that use AOE's the clones and phantasms die really quickly, what you do is you use a scepter and after the 3rd attack when the first clone is summoned use Mirror images then shatter instantly so they all survive. If you try to time 2 phantasms or extra clone abilities with it often the 1st clone is dead by the time you summon the 3rd one, especially in melee.

(And that's witht he 20% extra health unlocked).

The possibly most important melee ability is meant to be the one where everytime you dodge you summon a clone, with that plus the one that takes half your damage.

As for traits for melee, I'd been told that the 20 power 30 precision 20 illusion build is the best for melee mesmers, but having tried it with sword/pistol it really wasn't for me. Mesmers just aren't suited for melee combat, but if you can get it to work all the more to you it'll be pretty cool.
---
It's common courtesy for a lady to swallow
If you lived here, you'd be pwned by now
#5alt_realityPosted 9/8/2012 10:07:35 PM
blakenick posted...
I'd have to recommend against going melee mesmer, at later levels and in dungeons with mobs that use AOE's the clones and phantasms die really quickly, what you do is you use a scepter and after the 3rd attack when the first clone is summoned use Mirror images then shatter instantly so they all survive. If you try to time 2 phantasms or extra clone abilities with it often the 1st clone is dead by the time you summon the 3rd one, especially in melee.

The possibly most important melee ability is meant to be the one where everytime you dodge you summon a clone, with that plus the one that takes half your damage.

As for traits for melee, I'd been told that the 20 power 30 precision 20 illusion build is the best for melee mesmers, but having tried it with sword/pistol it really wasn't for me. Mesmers just aren't suited for melee combat, but if you can get it to work all the more to you it'll be pretty cool.

I've been playing melee Mesmer so far and I don't really use the phantasms at all since they die a lot, other than Phantasmal Defender soaking up a little damage for me every now and again. Its all about the shattering and the dodging and the Blurred Frenzy. I can currently take two or three enemies that are a few levels higher than me but I'm only level 25 right now so the endgame may cause me to change strategies/get irritated and start over.
---
#6StaticPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2012 10:38:52 PM
blakenick posted...

I really dont rely on them that much honestly. Ive been using a sraff for chaos armor and storm then i swap over to dual swords and by the time im done attacking, enemies are already dead.
---
I named him Waggleton P. Tallylicker. I never got the chance to tell him. He will be remembered. ~ Grayson Hunt
#7alt_realityPosted 9/9/2012 7:25:41 AM
StaticPenguin posted...
blakenick posted...

I really dont rely on them that much honestly. Ive been using a sraff for chaos armor and storm then i swap over to dual swords and by the time im done attacking, enemies are already dead.

It took me a bit to figure this out, but if you use Phase Retreat while standing in a Chaos Storm field, you get Chaos Armor for free for a little bit; the staff is cooler than you think. Try leading with Chaos Storm, Phase Retreat, (summon some more clones,) shatter, (Winds of Chaos if you're waiting on a cooldown for Phase Retreat,) Phase Retreat, Chaos Armor, then switch.
---
#8StaticPenguin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2012 10:15:40 AM
alt_reality posted...
It took me a bit to figure this out, but if you use Phase Retreat while standing in a Chaos Storm field, you get Chaos Armor for free for a little bit; the staff is cooler than you think. Try leading with Chaos Storm, Phase Retreat, (summon some more clones,) shatter, (Winds of Chaos if you're waiting on a cooldown for Phase Retreat,) Phase Retreat, Chaos Armor, then switch.

Nice. I didn't know that.
---