END THE DEBATE: Ranger - LONGBOW VS SHORTBOW

#21EarthshakerPosted 9/9/2012 8:44:46 PM(edited)
monkey_man0 posted...
Short bow and dual dagger. Kill everything.

Rangers can only offhand dagger.

My vote: Longbow. I'm sure Shortbow and condition damage is really powerful, but if you use a torch offhand on your weapon switch or sun spirits, you can just as easily inflict burning; if you use viper trap, there's your poison, and vulnerability is more helpful to help allies deal damage.

I just... don't like the shortbow that much.

EDIT: Toss on Quickening Zephyr with piercing arrows, barrage first, rapid fire second. Congratulations, you just melted everything in your cone of fire that wasn't a Veteran mob.

EDIT THE SECOND: Longbow's 3 and 4 are both practically instant cast.
---
[Bracketeer from 1/15/05 to 1/15/08.] {Cogito ergo sum... cogito.}
Sept. 20th, 2010 - 5K karmaversary. ASURAS AREN'T NORN FURNITURE!
#22DredjPosted 9/10/2012 5:32:50 PM
I use Shortbow and 1HSword/Torch atm, but the bigger fights are getting in WvW atm I am switching over to Longbow/Greatsword. And also the way my guild is fighting zergs the Longbow will serve me better. Even Axes will serve me better then a Longbow right now.
#23NancyNMPosted 9/10/2012 5:55:33 PM
I had been using shortbow for quite a while, and then I accidentally "upgraded" my shortbow with a longbow and then salvaged the old shortbow before I noticed that the new one was a longbow.

So I was stuck using the longbow for a while, and then finally got a good shortbow and switched back.

My totally unscientific verdict: I prefer the shortbow.

This was solo PVE only, and my Ranger was low 40's at this time.

I do like the knockback on the longbow (and the AOE barrage when applicable), but the overall damage just seemed like less to me than the shortbow.
#24DredjPosted 9/10/2012 6:48:19 PM
Need high power and crit chance/damage to compensate on the Longbow.

My Longbow crits up to 2k on auto-attack and my gear, accessories and jewels are all geared towards condition, while with the same gear my Shortbow hits crits on average 517 and 1 bleed stack does 80ish damage.

I think it averages out really, and it just looks like Shortbow is complete rape compared to Longbow.

I think the real debate is Greatsword vs Sword.
#25tehdudPosted 9/10/2012 7:07:52 PM
NancyNM posted...
I had been using shortbow for quite a while, and then I accidentally "upgraded" my shortbow with a longbow and then salvaged the old shortbow before I noticed that the new one was a longbow.

So I was stuck using the longbow for a while, and then finally got a good shortbow and switched back.

My totally unscientific verdict: I prefer the shortbow.

This was solo PVE only, and my Ranger was low 40's at this time.

I do like the knockback on the longbow (and the AOE barrage when applicable), but the overall damage just seemed like less to me than the shortbow.

same thing i did! salvaged the shortbow and didnt realise my new one is a longbow. and tp wasnt up so i had to beg on chat for a shortbow.
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#26Jarvan4Posted 9/10/2012 7:20:51 PM
Earthshaker posted...
monkey_man0 posted...

EDIT: Toss on Quickening Zephyr with piercing arrows, barrage first, rapid fire second. Congratulations, you just melted everything in your cone of fire that wasn't a Veteran mob.

In WvW/SPVP, let your enemy chase you, takes you down to 1/3 or even 1/4 health. Then use Quickening Zephyr with shortbow, crit inflict bleeding straits, rampage as one and signet of +dmg

Congratulations, you just blown his mind off, and his head too
#27bobo16(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 8:07:43 PM
BUMP
---
Proud Member of the Marcus Thornton Bandwagon.
#28rvnenderPosted 9/12/2012 8:09:10 PM
Jarvan4 posted...
Earthshaker posted...
monkey_man0 posted...

In WvW/SPVP, let your enemy chase you, takes you down to 1/3 or even 1/4 health. Then use Quickening Zephyr with shortbow, crit inflict bleeding straits, rampage as one and signet of +dmg

I hear about quickening zeph a lot. What makes it so good?
---
"Not everybody has tube TVs without input lag. Tube TVs now banned online" -Maverick_McCain in reply to why turbo is frowned upon
#29Jarvan4Posted 9/12/2012 8:24:25 PM
rvnender posted...
Jarvan4 posted...
Earthshaker posted...
monkey_man0 posted...

I hear about quickening zeph a lot. What makes it so good?

It greatly accelerate your attack speed and casting speed for a few seconds
With rampage as one you get higher crits, higher crits means more bleeding and more damage. And the sigil of wild gives you more damage too.

It is also very useful when you need instant surge of DPS to kill mobs, with trait your pet also get the zehpyr and lynx with increased attack speed can do TONS of damage
#30tehdudPosted 9/13/2012 1:56:57 PM
i use long and short. longbows fire rate really turn me away. but the other weapons appeal even less to me.
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png