What two stats should I focus on as a Mesmer?

#1captainsquallyPosted 9/9/2012 11:13:46 AM
As far as stats on my items go, what should I focus on stacking?

I use mostly a staff but My alt weapon is a sword and gun, and I really like that style a lot but can get into trouble quick.

I have been trying to stack condition damage and power.

As far as traits, I have put 5 points into the Domination category.

I am level 16. Any advice on what stats to focus on while I continue leveling?

THanks!
---
http://flashyreview.com
Unbiased, Gaming news and views
#2Wyand_VoidbringPosted 9/9/2012 11:15:11 AM
It depends entirely on how you want to play your Mesmer. Every class in this game has builds that take advantage of every stat.
#3alt_realityPosted 9/9/2012 1:03:01 PM
Staff gets a reduced cooldown from a Master level Chaos skill. Sword gets a reduced cooldown from an Adept level Dueling skill. Illusions boosts condition damage and shatter skill recharge so that's pretty good.

I'd start with Dueling from 11-20 then Illusions 21-30 then you can either go Domination or Chaos. If you decide later to switch to Greatsword instead of Sword/Gun, get rid of Dueling and invest in Domination/Chaos/Illusions.
---
"We running out of time!" Sigurd, Typogears
#4PotatoPaiPosted 9/9/2012 1:19:17 PM
alt_reality posted...
Staff gets a reduced cooldown from a Master level Chaos skill. Sword gets a reduced cooldown from an Adept level Dueling skill. Illusions boosts condition damage and shatter skill recharge so that's pretty good.

I'd start with Dueling from 11-20 then Illusions 21-30 then you can either go Domination or Chaos. If you decide later to switch to Greatsword instead of Sword/Gun, get rid of Dueling and invest in Domination/Chaos/Illusions.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
+1.
#5captainsqually(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2012 6:38:02 AM
Excellent advice.

So let's say I want to stick with something like the sword/gun: I could focus on dueling, and maybe domination for the first 20 or so trait points and really boost my effectiveness.

Would I want to consider anything to boost my defenses, maybe on my gear? Most of my strategy with those weapons revolves around stunning and evading, but if I get mobbed by multiple enemies things can quickly get out of hand.
---
http://flashyreview.com
Unbiased, Gaming news and views
#6alt_realityPosted 9/10/2012 8:11:45 AM
captainsqually posted...
Excellent advice.

So let's say I want to stick with something like the sword/gun: I could focus on dueling, and maybe domination for the first 20 or so trait points and really boost my effectiveness.

Would I want to consider anything to boost my defenses, maybe on my gear? Most of my strategy with those weapons revolves around stunning and evading, but if I get mobbed by multiple enemies things can quickly get out of hand.

It couldn't hurt but right now I'm having more fun shattering and murdering everything with the points I put into Illusions. Condition damage helps with both weapons but especially staff and it speeds up your shatters so I'd personally go for that first. You're going to do decent damage with your sword but the staff is the safer option for mobs and you can use that without being up close so I'd just make that stronger (via Illusions) and use it when there's a ton of enemies. It will really take off when all of your shatters inflict confusion since that gets boosted by condition damage too.
---
#7lambchipsPosted 9/10/2012 8:13:38 AM
the tier 1 mesmer skills suck, so just go which ever... when you get the new training manual you also get a free trait reset

that said the second and third tier skills are much much better than the first
the first tier is only really for stats imo
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#8Judge_OmegaPosted 9/10/2012 8:18:30 AM
Master dueling nets you a clone when you dodge. Probably the most useful trait of them all.
#9dasmeseePosted 9/10/2012 8:59:47 AM
alt_reality posted...
captainsqually posted...
Excellent advice.

It couldn't hurt but right now I'm having more fun shattering and murdering everything with the points I put into Illusions. Condition damage helps with both weapons but especially staff and it speeds up your shatters so I'd personally go for that first. You're going to do decent damage with your sword but the staff is the safer option for mobs and you can use that without being up close so I'd just make that stronger (via Illusions) and use it when there's a ton of enemies. It will really take off when all of your shatters inflict confusion since that gets boosted by condition damage too.

I rolled a mesmer recently and was just curious whats you 2nd weapon? I use staff also but havent really decided on 2nd weapon as of now. should I use sword/pistol or sword torch?
#10alt_realityPosted 9/10/2012 9:31:44 AM
dasmesee posted...
alt_reality posted...
captainsqually posted...
Excellent advice.

I rolled a mesmer recently and was just curious whats you 2nd weapon? I use staff also but havent really decided on 2nd weapon as of now. should I use sword/pistol or sword torch?

I actually run Sword/Sword. Pistol doesn't have any defensive capabilities (unless you count the stun ability which... maybe you could count) and Torch's cooldown is too big to use more than once per enemy. I usually go Blurred Frenzy and if I was hit during that time, I immediately follow up with Illusionary Riposte, then use the 3 ability on the sword to spawn another clone, blow them up, and repeat, using Decoy instead of Illusionary Riposte the second time. Most things die in two Blurred Frenzies + two shatters.
---