The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Dual daggers as an elementalist is just a ton of fun

#1GraybesPosted 9/9/2012 1:06:34 PM
If you haven't tried it yet please do. You get some pretty awesome abilities, some cool movement abilities and it just feels awesome to combo skills together and to constantly be switching elements while dashing around in the middle of the fight.

its the perfect mix for someone who like to cast spells but also likes to be right up there in the fight.
---
Responding to trolls since 2003.
#2Jazie0107Posted 9/9/2012 1:23:51 PM
Thanks I will, been using the staff since like lvl 8, 1 day headstart, and I'm getting pretty sick of it.
---
PSN: Jazie0107
XBL: TOXiC iNK
#3KarmicDragon1Posted 9/9/2012 1:25:03 PM
I prefer dagger/focus myself but I'm only level 17 so far so that may change.
---
My favourite D3 board posters: BonnabinTheDire, PenguinKoala ,TheJCBand, ChronoAce, GuyIncognito_, jake-sf, DAntiprodukt
#4Flame_HazardPosted 9/9/2012 1:26:49 PM(edited)
I keep seeing people playing dagger/dagger ele, but I can't bring myself to believe it's a good idea. I play staff and scepter/dagger, and feel squishy enough as is. Why on earth do I want to play a weapon set that demands that I stand almost in melee range of my targets o_o?

Seriously, I want someone to explain this to me. Currently level 19, ele on hold in favor of leveling my thief for now...
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#5Graybes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2012 1:30:01 PM
A fun combo to do is use ride the lightening to initiate into a group of enemies, then shocking aura to protect yourself, switch to fire, use some fire spells but make sure to end with ring of fire...then switch to earth and use earthquake or churning earth for the combo finisher with your ring of fire.

You just feel like a badass zootin' around the fight, setting off your own combos and dishing out some great damage.
---
#6AkazoraPosted 9/9/2012 1:31:04 PM
Flame_Hazard posted...
I keep seeing people playing dagger/dagger ele, but I can't bring myself to believe it's a good idea. I play staff and scepter/dagger, and feel squishy enough as is. Why on earth do I want to play a weapon set that demands that I stand almost in melee range of my targets o_o?

Seriously, I want someone to explain this to me. Currently level 19, ele on hold in favor of leveling my thief for now...

Dagger/dagger is the most damaging weapon set for elementalist. The idea is risk/reward. Sit in the back safe from any damage, you do crappy damage in return.

I get the feeling a lot of people complaining about elementalist either don't know how to dodge in melee range, or are adamant about staying ranged instead of melee.
#7Graybes(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2012 1:34:09 PM
Flame_Hazard posted...

Because it's fun and with better items, the right utilities spells and some skill you can stay in the fight. why do you think they let the elementalist use a dagger? it's obviously doable. I mean the same question could be asked with any class...Why would they use melee weapons/abilities when they have the choice of ranged. Everyone can do it.

Basically it comes down to a matter of choice and game play style. I personally don't like standing in the back just using ranged stuff. I like to be right in the battle. I tried a warrior but their skills just weren't fun or interesting enough. Dual dagger elementalist give you the best of both worlds
---
#8Flame_HazardPosted 9/9/2012 1:36:12 PM
Graybes posted...
A fun combo to do is use ride the lightening to initiate into a group of enemies, then shocking aura to protect yourself, switch to fire, use some fire spells but make sure to end with ring of fire...then switch to earth and use earthquake or churning earth for the combo finisher with your ring of fire.

You just feel like a badass zootin' around the fight, setting off your own combos and dishing out some great damage.

This is very similar to my playstyle with scepter/dagger actually. I use ride the lightning to get in, then the 5 skill to do an aoe knockback (or wait for blind then knockback). And a lot of that other stuff, just with scepter skills. But, I'll give this a try anyway, even if it makes no sense in my head.

Akazora posted...
Flame_Hazard posted...

Dagger/dagger is the most damaging weapon set for elementalist. The idea is risk/reward. Sit in the back safe from any damage, you do crappy damage in return.

I get the feeling a lot of people complaining about elementalist either don't know how to dodge in melee range, or are adamant about staying ranged instead of melee.

My complaint has mainly been that I hit like I'm 5 levels below my target, and get killed very easily if I get hit (so obviously I do avoid getting hit as often as possible of course). I know how to dodge, and use utilities to avoid damage. I just feel like an ele in melee is extremely risky. If it really does so much damage, I'll give it a go just to see if I can finally feel satisfied with how hard I hit to some extent.

Also, there's other ranged classes. They don't seem to do crappy damage just because they sit in the back safe from harm >_>. Are eles special in this regard?
---
Warning: EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Keep away from populated message boards.
#9OrochiStormPosted 9/9/2012 1:38:04 PM
D/D Elementalists are reasonably safe in Earth, anyway... if you know how to switch attunements and manage things properly, you should not encounter problems.

Churning Earth is monstrous and Ride the Lightning is just magnificently fun.
---
Well you suck at rogue i have a lvl 41 so i know more -nick8676764
#10AkazoraPosted 9/9/2012 1:45:55 PM
Thief ranged is always weaker than thief melee. Take Pistol whip and Unload, they are identical skills with the same cost and concept, but ones melee and one is ranged. Pistol whip is always going to hit a good 30-40% harder than Unload, no matter your gear level.

Its the same for every class. Mesmer sword skills are more damaging than ranged, and have cleaving capabilities.

As far as damage goes, do you keep up with gear? Grab a minor sigil of bloodlust, get an up to date green weapon, have power on every gear, with a power rune or gem in every slot. Have your trinket slots filled.

Trading post cost are really low - Can probably get an entire set for like, 15 silver.