Questions about identifying dyes.

#1QosinPosted 9/13/2012 6:54:11 PM
Two things I'm wondering about dyes. When I get an unidentified dye, is it possible that it will identify into a color I already have? I'm guessing yes, but haven't had it happen yet.

Also, if I identify a die that I already have on that character and double click it, will it use up the dye, or tell me I already "know" that one, in which case I can send it to an alt or sell it? Do I need to be double checking my colors to ensure I don't waste a dye?
#2wwfgurlPosted 9/13/2012 6:56:17 PM(edited)
When you hover over it, it will have a note under the description saying if you've acquired that dye color already. I haven't tried, but I'm assuming it won't let you consume a dye you've already used.
#3rvnenderPosted 9/13/2012 6:57:45 PM
No, you cant use it again if you already have it. So either TP it or mail it to an alt.
---
"Not everybody has tube TVs without input lag. Tube TVs now banned online" -Maverick_McCain in reply to why turbo is frowned upon
#4PorkinzPosted 9/13/2012 6:58:34 PM
Yes, you can get dyes you already have. I have done it many times.

And no, the game will not let you use a dye you already know.
I've tried that too
#5MechangmenowPosted 9/13/2012 6:58:35 PM
There is no way to find out what type of dye you will get with an Unidentified Dye. Once you identify it, you can preview the color and consume it. If you already have it, there will be red text saying "You already have this dye" and you cannot consume it. Send it to a friend or trade it on the trading post!
---
Culinary Institute of Tyria: www.citchef.com
Youtube: Mechangmenows
#6zero_x300Posted 9/13/2012 6:59:34 PM
Or put it in the mystic forge with 3 other dyes to make a new dye.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKAomQTLbc
#7EtharinPosted 9/13/2012 6:59:46 PM
rvnender posted...
No, you cant use it again if you already have it. So either TP it or mail it to an alt.

4 dyes in the mystic forge = new "random" potentially higher rarity dye as well.
#8rvnenderPosted 9/13/2012 7:02:43 PM
Etharin posted...
rvnender posted...

4 dyes in the mystic forge = new "random" potentially higher rarity dye as well.

Really?

Damn!!!!
---
"Not everybody has tube TVs without input lag. Tube TVs now banned online" -Maverick_McCain in reply to why turbo is frowned upon
#9wwfgurlPosted 9/13/2012 7:03:49 PM
rvnender posted...
Etharin posted...
rvnender posted...

Really?

Damn!!!!

Now I regret using the awful green and brown dyes I've gotten.
#10Qosin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2012 7:22:27 PM
Good to know. Thanks guys.