Necromancer Sucks

#1Gandalf_the_FabPosted 9/14/2012 5:30:27 AM
So is it just my imagination or does Necromancer suck hard? Looking for opinions or advice or tips on how to not suck so hard.
#2Ruby SapphirePosted 9/14/2012 5:34:58 AM
They are bottom of the barrel at the moment because ANet treats us like the unwanted child. :(
---
Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 - Sylvari Necromancer/Maguuma
PSN: Espada6
#3AtzenkillerPosted 9/14/2012 5:36:03 AM
yeah they do. but my main is a warrior so i dunno how viable my opinion is. i got my necfomancer almost up to lv30 and i'm stuck on the story mission in that tomb. against stronger enemies and if you're on your own you stand no chance. the minions die after 1 hit. i definitely expected more from that class
#4BadKarma_JTPosted 9/14/2012 5:39:21 AM
Go dual daggers, makes things a lot easier, cause you've got life siphon

Also make sure to get plague, best elite for the necro, can clear massive groups of champions extremely easily
---
We can live like Jack and Sally if we want..Where you can always find me.. and We'll have Halloween on Christmas!
#5Dark_Oni12398Posted 9/14/2012 5:55:58 AM
Tank necro+party members ftw

But yeah....I have only managed good damage with the staff...the axe and scepter can be decent once you have time to wind up and stack armor shred/dots but they need an overall buff

Death shroud is the biggest offender, the only useful move in it is the 4th that drains life force from all enemies. Other then that it get's broken in 2 hit's and the life blasts don't do much damage at all unless they crit.

I feel like the moves need to be rearranged on certain weapons. They did allot of last second switches in the last beta and I feel it was for the worst.
---
Welcome to GameFAQ. Please keep you opinions too yourself, type with perfect spelling and grammar and god help you if you state something as fact.
#6zer0dinPosted 9/14/2012 6:11:05 AM
Necros absolutely need some work, especially on the trait lines (investing 30 points into soul reaping just to get 3 seconds of stability on entering DS? Why?). Right now, the most effective build I have seen and played with is Conditionmancer. It's actually quite good, and I doubt it needs a buff at all.

However, it's clear that necros were meant to do more than just conditions, and ANet will hopefully address this. Minion AI is pretty awful ATM.

Also, Necros seem to have a lot of bugged traits / skills ie: Greater Marks increases size of marks, but not the effect radius and is still blockable, certain things don't stack as they probably should, vampire traits actually LOWER your health-stealing (which is stupidly pitiful anyways), Corrupt Boon misses inexplicably at least 25% of the time, etc.
---
My channel. Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/zer0din
#7Xbox4everPosted 9/14/2012 6:22:21 AM(edited)
Agree with above.

But going dual daggers really helped me out. I just made it to level 50 and my necro seems to go through most areas with no trouble.

Buff your conditions.
I plan on going:

+10 power (spite)
+30 condition (Curses)
+20 toughness (Death Magic)
+10 healing/vitality (Blood magic)

Toughness actually REALLY helped my necro. Now I'm not dying in 2-3 hits.

I use two different builds, when using dual daggers, or axe/dagger combo I'll use skills that put conditions on myself and transfer to enemy, or keep conditions on myself to heal.

Or two, using 2 minions with a two handed staff while constantly putting down conditions/ healing allies.
---
Phenom II X6 1055T@ 2.8 GHz | CM Storm Enforcer | 8 GB DDR3 RAM | HT Omega Claro Plus | MSI GTX 560 Ti TFII | 1.0 TB HDD | XL2370-1 23" |
#8zer0dinPosted 9/14/2012 6:41:08 AM
TC, I don't know if you are looking specifically for a PvE or PvP build, but I would recommend jumping in PvP and just try as many different builds as you can if you haven't already.

This is the build I run with in PvP, it's slightly modified for PvE (Drop Plague signet, 10 spite, put 10 in Blood Magic)
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fQAQNArYWjMat7xbOb8bKAJFWD9UhshK0b0DiNOZA;TsAAzCpogxAjAGrPOfk+s8YUx0DA

And here is a video demonstrating it's effectiveness in PvP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr1vmSweqM0

I will advise against running a mainhand dagger. It is arguably one of the worst weapons, and the immobilize really cannot make up for it. Both direct damage and health steal are so underpowered on the necro right now, it's best to focus on something else. Dagger is a great offhand, but mainhand at least use an axe if you are trying to go for DD. Just my 2 cents.
---
My channel. Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/zer0din
#9baron1232Posted 9/14/2012 7:25:19 AM
Xbox4ever posted...
Agree with above.

But going dual daggers really helped me out. I just made it to level 50 and my necro seems to go through most areas with no trouble.

Buff your conditions.
I plan on going:

+10 power (spite)
+30 condition (Curses)
+20 toughness (Death Magic)
+10 healing/vitality (Blood magic)

Toughness actually REALLY helped my necro. Now I'm not dying in 2-3 hits.

I use two different builds, when using dual daggers, or axe/dagger combo I'll use skills that put conditions on myself and transfer to enemy, or keep conditions on myself to heal.

Or two, using 2 minions with a two handed staff while constantly putting down conditions/ healing allies.

That doesn't make sense. If you're running daggers, why would you go full Curses? You'd be better off going all Blood Magic.
---
Calachon, Necromancer, Ehmry Bay
Im Breaking A Sweat (iBaS)