Toughness vs. Vitality

#11SolhdierPosted 9/14/2012 10:28:45 AM
Even with tons of toughness you will get destroyed in sPVP without vitality though I guess there is less condition damage in PVE.
---
Mexican [Sage]
#12meltor13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2012 10:31:47 AM
One of my current lines of thought is this:

Because GW2 is more about dodging and outright AVOIDING damage where possible, Toughness (which directly reduces damage from all incoming hits) takes a backseat to Vitality because you are encouraged to completely avoid hits rather than try to soak up hits.

And obviously, as other posters above have said, Vitality can help protect against conditions, which toughness has no control over.

It kind of sucks, because Healing Power scales much better with a high toughness, lower health build rather than a lower toughness, high health build.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#13Shadow DonPosted 9/14/2012 10:34:27 AM
It really depends on the traits and the build you are going for. In spvp a large portion of stats comes from the amulets, if you want some toughness or vitality but dont like the traits you can choose different amulets to fill in the gaps.
#14runboy81Posted 9/14/2012 10:39:14 AM
To me it feels like toughness is by far the superior choice. Simply cause of healing and health regeneration.
High toughness = Less damage, making healing and health regeneration far more useful.

High vitality = More damage, making healing / regeneration less effective due to the high health.
#15jivebeaverPosted 9/14/2012 10:42:24 AM
meltor13 posted...

Because GW2 is more about dodging and outright AVOIDING damage where possible, Toughness (which directly reduces damage from all incoming hits) takes a backseat to Vitality because you are encouraged to completely avoid hits rather than try to soak up hits.

this is faulty logic because both are safety nets to dying. neither one encourages or discourages taking hits

vit probably more cuz condition damage and to save 1hit kills cuz i think people stack toughness and see no practical change when it minuses like 300 dmg from 10000
#16meltor13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2012 10:51:59 AM
jivebeaver posted...
meltor13 posted...

this is faulty logic because both are safety nets to dying. neither one encourages or discourages taking hits

vit probably more cuz condition damage and to save 1hit kills cuz i think people stack toughness and see no practical change when it minuses like 300 dmg from 10000

It's not really faulty logic...stacking alot of vitality and ignoring toughness won't allow you to soak up hits like stacking toughness would.

But you can still survive well enough with a low(er) toughness and high vitality because you can dodge out of the most damaging abilities.....when you get hit, you'll get hit hard, but being able to dodge away and evade damage diminishes toughness's importance, it seems like.

If you couldn't dodge/block attacks, obviously toughness would be alot more important...as it is...it seems like stacking toughness doesn't help as much as having a lower toughness and high vitality does, because you can use those extra toughness points somewhere else on your offensive side.
---
#17bremenPosted 9/14/2012 11:03:49 AM
Eeshaan1685 posted...
I've opted to go for both toughness AND vitality.

The rest of the points can be added to anything else, I dont care. I love survivability.

AND I WANT TO TANK IN GW2 EVEN IF THERE IS NO TANK IN THE GAME LOLOLOLOL

This. Max Toughness & Vitality for the win. Anything else, is just uncivilized.
---
jedinat - Which sets you at a distinct advantage... over no one.
#18jivebeaverPosted 9/14/2012 11:25:41 AM
meltor13 posted...
jivebeaver posted...
meltor13 posted...

It's not really faulty logic...stacking alot of vitality and ignoring toughness won't allow you to soak up hits like stacking toughness would.

But you can still survive well enough with a low(er) toughness and high vitality because you can dodge out of the most damaging abilities.....when you get hit, you'll get hit hard, but being able to dodge away and evade damage diminishes toughness's importance, it seems like.

If you couldn't dodge/block attacks, obviously toughness would be alot more important...as it is...it seems like stacking toughness doesn't help as much as having a lower toughness and high vitality does, because you can use those extra toughness points somewhere else on your offensive side.

how the hell does that make any sense, if ur in a situation where toughness can allow you to take more dmg before dying than vitality why would you stack vit.

if u have high vit and u dodge a hit.... u dodged a hit, if u get hit u get hit hard and maybe die depending on hp

if u have high tough and u dodge a hit.... u dodged a hit, if u get it u get slightly less hard and maybe still die depending on (lower) hp

you talk like taking high toughness and low vit somehow lowers your offense but low tough and high vit doesnt??? both are defensive stats, and both are opportunity cost to offense. you can even ignore both and get glass cannon berserkers which 80% of people do anyway

both are buffers to death, only that vit only works for the first/last bit of hp while toughness improves effective hp throughout, and neither would want to make you want to get hit more or less
#19meltor13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2012 11:43:31 AM
jivebeaver posted...
meltor13 posted...
jivebeaver posted...
meltor13 posted...

how the hell does that make any sense, if ur in a situation where toughness can allow you to take more dmg before dying than vitality why would you stack vit.

if u have high vit and u dodge a hit.... u dodged a hit, if u get hit u get hit hard and maybe die depending on hp

if u have high tough and u dodge a hit.... u dodged a hit, if u get it u get slightly less hard and maybe still die depending on (lower) hp

you talk like taking high toughness and low vit somehow lowers your offense but low tough and high vit doesnt??? both are defensive stats, and both are opportunity cost to offense. you can even ignore both and get glass cannon berserkers which 80% of people do anyway

both are buffers to death, only that vit only works for the first/last bit of hp while toughness improves effective hp throughout, and neither would want to make you want to get hit more or less

I'm not trying to start an argument. This is a discussion, there's no reason to be aggressive.

Let's throw that bit out of the window, then, shall we? Toughness vs. Vitality, which one do you focus on more and why?
---
#20Legendary_MusasPosted 9/14/2012 11:46:19 AM
I would say it depends on your playstyle, melee distance you definitely want more toughness as you will be getting hit more. Ranged I would say Vitality as you are more likely to get conditions than be hit.
---
I was born of your dreams. If you believe in me... ...there is nothing I cannot do