Toughness vs. Vitality

#21EllesarienPosted 9/14/2012 10:48:22 AM
meltor13 posted...
jivebeaver posted...
meltor13 posted...
jivebeaver posted...
meltor13 posted...

Because GW2 is more about dodging and outright AVOIDING damage where possible, Toughness (which directly reduces damage from all incoming hits) takes a backseat to Vitality because you are encouraged to completely avoid hits rather than try to soak up hits.

this is faulty logic because both are safety nets to dying. neither one encourages or discourages taking hits

vit probably more cuz condition damage and to save 1hit kills cuz i think people stack toughness and see no practical change when it minuses like 300 dmg from 10000

It's not really faulty logic...stacking alot of vitality and ignoring toughness won't allow you to soak up hits like stacking toughness would.

But you can still survive well enough with a low(er) toughness and high vitality because you can dodge out of the most damaging abilities.....when you get hit, you'll get hit hard, but being able to dodge away and evade damage diminishes toughness's importance, it seems like.

If you couldn't dodge/block attacks, obviously toughness would be alot more important...as it is...it seems like stacking toughness doesn't help as much as having a lower toughness and high vitality does, because you can use those extra toughness points somewhere else on your offensive side.

how the hell does that make any sense, if ur in a situation where toughness can allow you to take more dmg before dying than vitality why would you stack vit.

if u have high vit and u dodge a hit.... u dodged a hit, if u get hit u get hit hard and maybe die depending on hp

if u have high tough and u dodge a hit.... u dodged a hit, if u get it u get slightly less hard and maybe still die depending on (lower) hp

you talk like taking high toughness and low vit somehow lowers your offense but low tough and high vit doesnt??? both are defensive stats, and both are opportunity cost to offense. you can even ignore both and get glass cannon berserkers which 80% of people do anyway

both are buffers to death, only that vit only works for the first/last bit of hp while toughness improves effective hp throughout, and neither would want to make you want to get hit more or less

I'm not trying to start an argument. This is a discussion, there's no reason to be aggressive.

Let's throw that bit out of the window, then, shall we? Toughness vs. Vitality, which one do you focus on more and why?

People enjoy being "Internet Tough!".
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#22Strife025Posted 9/14/2012 10:52:22 AM
Someone already posted the thread link to gw2 guru forums with actual math, and you will find alot more useful information there then anything on here.

Long story short, just like most rpgs, effective hp of vit/toughness depends on your current hp and in gw2, the amount of condition damage you estimate to make up your total damage taken since this is not reduced by toughness. You also need to take into account heal power because this gives a larger benefit to toughness as long as you have a large enough health pool to survive in between healing.

So there are a few factors that you have to take into account, but the basics are if you are a class like necro who has the highest health pool, toughness is going to be better because it will increase your effective health pool much more, not to mention necros can deal with conditions easily.

If you are a guardian with the lowest health pool who also has alot of protection buffs, vitality is going to be better (up to a point possibly).
---
Rent Me
#23Strife025Posted 9/14/2012 10:56:26 AM
This is the simple formula for people who aren't going to bother going to the gw2 guru forums btw.

(1-C)*(HP+H)/A > 10?
Yes = toughness, No = vitality.
C = proportion of damage received which is condition damage before going down
HP = current hit points
H = healing received before going down
A = current armor value

In general, the more official gw2guru and guildwars2 forums have way more useful information on tons of topics like this, gamefaqs forums is basically here to laugh at all the trolls and people who have no clue what they're talking about.

So I would suggest looking there in the future for more in-depth discussions.
---
Rent Me
#24meltor13(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2012 11:16:48 AM
Strife025 posted...
This is the simple formula for people who aren't going to bother going to the gw2 guru forums btw.

(1-C)*(HP+H)/A > 10?
Yes = toughness, No = vitality.
C = proportion of damage received which is condition damage before going down
HP = current hit points
H = healing received before going down
A = current armor value

In general, the more official gw2guru and guildwars2 forums have way more useful information on tons of topics like this, gamefaqs forums is basically here to laugh at all the trolls and people who have no clue what they're talking about.

So I would suggest looking there in the future for more in-depth discussions.

I didn't see that posted, my bad. It will certainly be useful. Thanks.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13