Why do female soldiers / officers insist on being called "sir" in this game?

#21jedinatPosted 9/15/2012 3:39:12 PM
shadowswitch12 posted...
lol what do you mean universally, i said U.S military - this is from what i've seen working with them.

"Universally" as in pervasively throughout the US military; the standard. Learn to English.
#22BoOfTantar9Posted 9/15/2012 3:42:22 PM
shadowswitch12 posted...
Lemme clear this up right quick,
in the US military, female officers are adressed as 'sir'.

Myself, I was in Canadian service, and we address female officers as mamn

Yeah I was in US military and I never once saw anyone address a female as "Sir". Even officers. It's always mam. In fact, I've seen people cursed out for calling a female superior "Sir".
---
Gamefaqs Anti-Troll (2005-2012)
Zelda 2. The worst game of all time.
#23shadowswitch12Posted 9/15/2012 3:42:38 PM
ok im sorry, what? Universal implies global, or international trend than standard custom used in a specific organization - even at that, military branches vary vastly from air to sea and land so to suggest something is universal for all tri services, is a difficult thing to do. and 'do good english'? why you getting your panties in a bunch? I was just reporting what I saw when I was a reservist in the navy.
#24jedinatPosted 9/15/2012 3:45:20 PM
Check out definition #2 of of "universal" and maybe make a practice of looking up things you don't understand before objecting to them.
#25o___Okami(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2012 3:55:18 PM
shadowswitch12 posted...
Lemme clear this up right quick,
in the US military, female officers are adressed as 'sir'.

Myself, I was in Canadian service, and we address female officers as mamn

satthukaraoke posted...
You do know that real life soldiers also address their female officers as sir right?

TheWarhammeronl posted...
It's not just this game.

You need to get out more.

Plenty of military organizations refer to female superiors as "sir".

Heck I have heard peons in regular companies address "higher up" females as "sir"

Nice try, but I think you need to get out more. I am in the USMC, I've worked with the Airforce, I've worked with the Army, and ofcoarse I've worked with the Navy. I've worked with the British, I've worked with the Australians, I've worked with the Canadians. I've worked with other non-english speaking countries.

However, every english speaking country I've worked with refer to females as "ma'am". Do you know why? Because they are females and it makes sense. If you call a "ma'am" a "sir" in the USMC then you should standby to get blasted.
---
They called you exotic. Which is just people talk for awesome. Which you are.
#26TheApd_ReturnsPosted 9/15/2012 4:26:27 PM(edited)
news to me, i did 8 years in the (US) Army and ive never seen anyone call a female "sir" on purpose. it doesnt even make sense considering the paternal/patriarchal roots of the word. i guess certain british-english countries might do it but ive worked with british + australian soldiers and they called our females "ma'am", for what its worth.

at any rate calling a woman "sir" in the US military is certainly a major faux pas and will get you blasted on the spot unless shes in a good mood.
---
HYFR should've been the ending song of Mass Effect 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCWqnldEag
#27Phazor58Posted 9/15/2012 5:04:25 PM
I've heard it both ways. Not sure what's actually correct.
---
PSN: Phazor58 (Put gamefaqs/gamespot in the message or I will not add you)
Steam: Phaz (Augustus Caesar avatar)
#28GreyfeldPosted 9/15/2012 5:10:58 PM
Officers in Star Trek TNG are all called "Sir."

Nerd knowledge, ftw.
---
PSN - Aevio
"I'm on a Goomba." - BlackMageJawa
#29SecureGamerPosted 9/15/2012 5:21:22 PM
I heard this only once, I thought it was a joke because the female officer was a hardass.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#30BoOfTantar9Posted 9/15/2012 5:51:04 PM
Greyfeld posted...
Officers in Star Trek TNG are all called "Sir."

Nerd knowledge, ftw.

And in Battlestar Galatica and also in Starship Troopers.
---
Gamefaqs Anti-Troll (2005-2012)
Zelda 2. The worst game of all time.