It's official: Necromancer's need a buff.

#1Crimson_SpiderPosted 9/19/2012 12:39:46 PM(edited)
So I made my final 5th class awhile ago a necromancer and have been trying things out in sPVP, and unlike the other 4 classes I elected to play this one has never "clicked". That is, that moment where I figure out something that epically rocks with a particular build and then I can 1 vs. 1 pretty much anyone. And I know the reason why, too: Pretty much all of the necromancer's abilities suck.

First is their profession mechanic, Death Shroud. It is decent to take a few hits, but the fact remains that in Death Shroud you're little more than a walking target. It has no good damage and doesn't do anything but annoy people, and without any sort of ability to cure conditions or prevent crowd control it is often worse to go into Death Shroud than it is not to go into Death Shroud.

Second are the weapons. Axe and dagger main-hand do such low damage that they aren't worth using. Warhorn off-hand has slow recharges that barely has any effect. Because of this, the only weapons you can use are staff then scepter/dagger or scepter/focus, and the Staff kind of sucks because the auto-attack is a slow moving and weak projectile that has no effects. It also sucks that most of the recharge increasing traits only cause a 15% increase instead of a 20% increase like with everybody else.

Third are the abilities. Specifically, their inability to actually do anything. Minions are buggy and rarely ever attack your opponent, so most of the time they are little more than makeshift meatshields.

The signet passive effects are extremely weak, their activating effects are extremely weak, their recharge is extremely long, and there are no good traits that can pair up with signets (you get 3 stacks of might and do 1% more damage for 10 seconds. yay.)

Wells have slow effects, weak effects, low damage, incredibly long recharge, and their health siphoning trait heals a paltry 25 health per pulse. Compare Well of Power, which converts one condition every second for 5 seconds, to something like Purging Flames or Null Field to see how impotent the Wells really are. Some of them might be nice, if you get an opponent who is stupid enough to stand there and herp the derp the whole time, but most players have enough common sense not to wade in the middle of the big blinding cloud.

Spectral abilities are better left alone. Armor is on an incredibly long recharge, grasp is nice but has nothing to combo itself with, walk is a glorified swiftness buff, and wall is bugged and only gives 3 stacks of vulnerability to anyone who'll bother to walk through it.

Then you have corruptions, which are the only useful utilities that the Necro gets, and they have the caveat of inflicting conditions on yourself as well. The elite skills themselves are underwhelming: The flesh Golem is bugged and doesn't attack, the Plague is at most a minor nuisance, and the Lich is low damaging and slow.

Finally you have the traits. Half of the traits are bugged and don't overlap (think you can use the speed boost signet with the dagger speed boost to get 25% run speed? Think again, you'll only get 10%), and most of them suck. When making a build, normally I have to decide from all the good traits which ones I should get. But on the Necro, I have a surplus of traits because I never have any reason to invest in anything other than Curses.

In sPVP, the only thing I can regularly 1vs1 and win against is the elementalist and the mesmer (strangely. I think it is one of those paper-rock-scissors things). Guardians and warriors out-heal your damage, thieves, rangers, engineers, simply out damage you and have enough effects to overpower the necromancer if they're smart enough to include condition removal in their build (most are).
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.
#2NCPwnPosted 9/19/2012 12:41:35 PM
I just think other classes need a nerf. In sPvP, me and a necro (engineer + necro) were holding a point the whole match. Able to take on 2 v 4 at one time. His CC with my CC was awesome.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Valkyria Chronicles, Daoc, Planetside, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#3Crimson_Spider(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2012 12:51:27 PM
It doesn't feel like other classes need a nerf. It just feels like necros need a buff. Right now I'm running an epidemic + plague signet build, which is the strongest necro combo I've found so far. It is pretty good, since it draws in everyone else's conditions, transfers all of them to a single opponent, then duplicates those conditions to each opponent around them. It's nice if you ignore that this build lasts about 5 seconds even when traited and built for durability, since drawing all of those conditions means that they get tons of damage done to themselves at all times, and to break control they have to abandon the strategy.

And that combination above is only "O.K." if it works.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.
#4NCPwnPosted 9/19/2012 12:52:54 PM
Nerf rock, paper is fine - scissors
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Valkyria Chronicles, Daoc, Planetside, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#5ScreamingMidgetPosted 9/19/2012 12:54:05 PM
Crimson_Spider posted...
In sPVP, the only thing I can regularly 1vs1 and win against is the elementalist and the mesmer (strangely. I think it is one of those paper-rock-scissors things). Guardians and warriors out-heal your damage, thieves, rangers, engineers, simply out damage you and have enough effects to overpower the necromancer if they're smart enough to include condition removal in their build (most are).

You're doing wrong.
#6o___OkamiPosted 9/19/2012 12:55:56 PM
Necros are by-the-book counters to Engis and condition based builds in general. What is killing you?
---
They called you exotic. Which is just people talk for awesome. Which you are.
#7Ruby SapphirePosted 9/19/2012 12:56:16 PM
ScreamingMidget posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...

You're doing wrong.

You're doing "You're doing it wrong" wrong.

Corrupt Boon and Plague Signet don't even work. lmao
ANet's too busy buffing everyone else to care. Proof is in the patch notes.
And "Game Designer" Jon Peters stated in the forums that Necromancer is so strong, people just haven't "mastered Death Shroud" yet.

LOL

What a load of kitten.
---
Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 - Sylvari Necromancer/Maguuma
PSN: Espada6
#8ScreamingMidgetPosted 9/19/2012 1:00:47 PM
Ruby Sapphire posted...
ScreamingMidget posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...

You're doing wrong.

You're doing "You're doing it wrong" wrong.

I blame my being in awe at the disabled gamer on twitch tv!

But yeah. Necros are pretty good.
#9curious_deadPosted 9/19/2012 1:11:17 PM
I wonít argue against bugged traits; nor with some underwhelming abilities (the spectral ones in particular). But I donít have an issue with the Flesh Golem.

That said, while I think Necro ends on the lower end of the spectrum, I donít think itís all gloom and doom. The dagger/hatchet damage are OK; wells are OK too. The condition and minion necro builds are at least viable, I think there is the foundation for some great support/death shroud build in there somewhere. I think weíre also doing OK AoE.
#10RoninofTangramPosted 9/19/2012 1:22:10 PM
dagger is the highest main hand damage of the 3 weapons and axe/scepter out damage staff across the board as well, on the other hand, staff is 90% support and defensive combat while dagger/horn, scepter/axe and focus are mixed.(wells build and/or signets build for 2 weapon users:D)

or you can focus on summons and see how that works:/
---
PSN ID:Tenryuta, mgo name:lokiprime