Juvenile animals, set locations or random spawns?

#1Elec Man EXEPosted 9/19/2012 11:56:03 AM
Title pretty much says it all. I'm wondering if the Juvenile animals for ranger charming are completely set in the locations in which they appear, or whether juveniles can spawn randomly in any area where the animal is normally found.

For example, yesterday I was looking for a Salamader Drake, and found a decent sized area where a bunch of them were around. Adult ones, anyway. But I thoroughly searched the whole area and didn't find a juvenile at all, disappointingly. Even found a little hidden cave underwater where a veteran one spawned and was hoping maybe a juvenile would be hidden in there, but it was just an empty area with a tough enemy it turns out.

Does that mean there will never be a juvenile in that area and I should just forget about that place and try to find them somewhere else? Or is there a chance that a juvenile could spawn at some point in that location and I should keep looking?

If they are random spawns, how do they work? Is it on a timer, like every 3 hours the spawns switch up and a juvenile might end up being found there or might not, or based on kill count, or what?
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White
#2DraconisRexPosted 9/19/2012 12:02:28 PM
Set.
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
#3Elec Man EXE(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2012 12:16:38 PM
I was leaning toward that being the case, but its nice to have it confirmed, thanks.
---
#4Duke DarkwoodPosted 9/19/2012 12:22:56 PM
They're set, as far as I've seen. My main always keeps an eye out for juveniles, and I've been compiling a list for my Ranger to reap the benefits of. When he gets strong enough to get more. I've gotten him up to 21 pets, but all of that is cities and starter zones. And the HoM. And that
s out of 44 pets total.

There are still a few (11, although one my ranger has because it was his default choice) I haven't yet found at all, however - and unfortunately for this thread, the Salamander Drake is one of those.

I'm sure to find them all, and my ranger will eventually have a full pet menu, but that's a mid-range goal for me; it can wait while my main finishes dominating 95% of my GW2 time.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#5Elec Man EXE(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2012 12:54:38 PM
Duke Darkwood posted...
They're set, as far as I've seen. My main always keeps an eye out for juveniles, and I've been compiling a list for my Ranger to reap the benefits of. When he gets strong enough to get more. I've gotten him up to 21 pets, but all of that is cities and starter zones. And the HoM. And that
s out of 44 pets total.

There are still a few (11, although one my ranger has because it was his default choice) I haven't yet found at all, however - and unfortunately for this thread, the Salamander Drake is one of those.

I'm sure to find them all, and my ranger will eventually have a full pet menu, but that's a mid-range goal for me; it can wait while my main finishes dominating 95% of my GW2 time.

No worries. Looking at a list to find them isn't quite as fun anyway, I'll just have to keep looking. At least now I know if I don't see one in a certain area there's no sense continuing to search the same spot.

I saw someone yesterday who had a salamander drake pet and tried to ask him where he got it but he completely ignored me. <.<

I actually think I could have chosen a salamander drake as one of my default pet choices (IIRC it was a salamander, a devourer, or some sort of cat), but I picked a devourer instead because it looked cooler. Bad choice on my part since I now have all 3 devourer species tamed (I even found a juvenile of the carion devourer that I actually chose as my starter). I've only got 6 pets charmed so far and 3 of them are devourers, things are everywhere. But thems the breaks I guess.
---
#6ATARIJAWAPosted 9/19/2012 3:27:45 PM
I found my first Jellyfish pet last night in the lake by Lion's Arch. Man can that thing tank.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 9-10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. 8 and below : Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 81
#7DolebiscuitPosted 9/19/2012 7:08:07 PM
I suggest walking around while holding Alt, it will display the names of all visible mobs, so it makes it a little easier to find.
---
PSN: Dolebiscuit
PSN: AssBlaster420
#8dturner80Posted 9/19/2012 7:22:52 PM
Kinda off topic, but when do pets graduate from the Juvenile stage and do you have to use a pet for set amount of time before it happens?
---
The Ganoes are short little people who are not very tall.
#9Kurir_TelmonkinPosted 9/19/2012 7:39:06 PM
They never become different from juvenile, but you can name them, which you probably havnt if you are still seeing juvenile. This is done in the pets skill menu iirc
---
This series is the Inception of games. Everyone is inside each other, and it only goes deeper... - DrunkBeardGuy on Kingdom Hearts
Proud 3DS Ambassador
#10dturner80Posted 9/19/2012 7:48:01 PM
Really? Most sites just give the blah blah blah about having your pet grow with you and what not. I assumed that they would have growth spurts. Good to know!
---
The Ganoes are short little people who are not very tall.