So all that talk about leaving GW2 for MoP

#81shabbydragonPosted 9/28/2012 2:22:50 PM
I believe that MoP is targeting the younger crowd because it's the demographic they can get more money out of. WoW is an MMO I spent a lot of time on but the mechanics are old and dull. Let's move on my friends! Let us reward innovation instead of the same old stuff. At this point WoW and Diablo are just funding TITAN
---
IGN: Thirdeyeninja
#82KatzachanPosted 9/28/2012 2:30:34 PM
FenixInouva posted...
Katzachan posted...
FenixInouva posted...
also, Katza states 'cancelled quite a few MMO's'

then lists two.

seems legit.

City of heroes.
Tabula Rasa
Exteel
Auto Assault
Dungeon Runners

The closure of CoH is terrible on it's own, there is very little reason for them to close that game down and much anger about it from players and the developers, yet they are still going ahead with it. They still haven't given a good enough reason for it.

Ncsoft gave a good enough reason for cancelling CoH, its LOSING them money to keep it running. Exteel was free to download and play and was boring, Tabula Rasa was a resounding failure, Auto Assault? really? Dungeon Runners was okay i guess.

as i said CoH i am actually really sad to see go, the rest? i cant think of a single person that can say they miss Tabula Rasa or Auto Assault with a straight face.

I find it amusing the game was running fine for 6 years with a sub, swaps to no sub and closes down a year later. Guess no sub isn't the mass money maker some people think it is afterall.
#83ilovemudding(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2012 11:17:46 PM
When I posted the OP, every article on the net was publishing the same report based off the original VentureBeat article, citing Lazard Capital.

The problem is everyone is assuming the 700k figure is correct, and none of the reports explained why the numbers were "bad" (if those numbers are correct).

Since then Escapist has also published the same article, but they did a bit more digging:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119845-Mists-of-Pandaria-Opening-Sales-Stumble

That said, to make up this kind of shortfall - over 2.5 million units difference between the expansions, assuming the 700,000 Pandaria figure is correct - digital would have to have become the primary means of selling product. Digital is certainly important; a 57% increase in digital sales was responsible for Blizzard's profits bump in the third quarter 2011. But if, for the sake of discussion, digital sales brought Pandaria to exactly the same sales level as Cataclysm, then retail would be just a little over 21% of total sales. Even given the growth of digital since 2010, that result doesn't seem likely.

The logic they are using is that the ratio of digital:retail sales makes it unlikely that Blizz will recover even if digital sales were to increase, and they were to factor that in. In order for the sales of MoP to be in line with Cata, retail sales would have to be just over 21% of total sales.

Escapist also went one step more to include the analyst from Lazard, which they think has a credible track record on ATVI.

The relevance of this to GW2 can be traced back to an older article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2012/08/02/world-of-warcraft-guild-wars-2-and-vivendi-activisions-achilles-heel/
#84Xeeh_BitzPosted 9/28/2012 11:18:38 PM
According to this sample

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

People are just leaving GW2, period.
#85lilj812Posted 9/28/2012 11:20:23 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
According to this sample

Post those all day and night, not a single person (that's not a troll) cares lol. We're all still playing the game and we all still play with lots of other people. This game is fine :)
---
Oh... Ill buy the game... WHEN YOU RIP MY FW FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!!
#86SBrigginsPosted 9/28/2012 11:22:03 PM
Looks like GW2 hit WoW pretty hard. Damage has been done.
#87Xeeh_BitzPosted 9/28/2012 11:24:37 PM
lilj812 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
According to this sample

Post those all day and night, not a single person (that's not a troll) cares lol. We're all still playing the game and we all still play with lots of other people. This game is fine :)

Well, when a game that's free to play loses over 60% of usage within it's first month. There seems to be a major issue with it.
#88Lupin the 4thPosted 9/29/2012 1:02:13 AM
I don't have a problem with WoW. I just refuse to pay for a game...and THEN pay for a subscription to play it...and THEN possibly pay MORE money for an item at the cash shop (let's say a mount....I've never played WoW, so I don't know what's in the cash shop) that really should just be unlockable through gameplay at that point. And I'm not even broke. I could afford WoW if I really wanted to play it....but I'd feel like I was being robbed even if I enjoyed it. I can play lots of games that I find loads of fun for free as much as I want after buying them...so it makes no logical sense to me.
---
The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again! Ha Ha Ha!)
-Lupin III: Stealing jewels and schooling fools since 1967-
#89LiquiDZerOPosted 9/29/2012 2:07:47 AM
Ozymandis posted...
It seems to be mostly negative to me. And with good reason. MoP is a joke, with some really shoddy and unoriginal "new" features like pet battles (done before in FFXI, sorry) and pandaren. The game just feels ancient after playing GW2 and it's hideous in 2012. Instead of another quick cash-in Blizzard should have released a brand new MMO property.

Pandaren were part of the lore from Warcraft III, the Pandaren Brewmaster was a hero character from the expansion that played off the Drunken Boxing style of Kung Fu made popular from Jackie Chan's Drunken Master movies.

Frankly, Blizz should have included them earlier, now everyone thinks they stole the idea from Kung Fu Panda.

But yeah, tried getting back into WoW before GW2 hit, I could barely grab the will to get past level 7 even though it was what a two week guest pass?
---
"I can't begin to count the number of agents whose lives were saved by a cardboard box." -Snake
#90LiquiDZerOPosted 9/29/2012 2:15:26 AM
lilj812 posted...
some troll posted...
According to this sample

the troll actually means to say that the users who have installed xfire that also have gw2 do not play as much.

of course this has no statistical relevance to the gw2 population as a whole. anyways to assume that a fall in population means people are no longer interested in the game is a logical fallacy of assuming that correlation proves causation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

you can't cite xfire data for anything. this isn't me being a fanboy. if someone were to cite xfire data for the gw2 population improving or the WoW population dying, it would be just as wrong.
---
"I can't begin to count the number of agents whose lives were saved by a cardboard box." -Snake