Ranger or Thief

#1HaxnStashPosted 10/3/2012 5:18:26 AM
hello everyone. I have decided to level an alt after getting my main to 70. Ranger and Thief got me interested but I can't choose between the two. I am not going to be playing PVP. Just mainly PVE for the most part.

I like ranger for the pets and the long range play style and with a pet by your side, survivability seems to be alot better.

Thief on the other hand has better looking skills. They look more compatible with a trench coat but I'm not so sure about their survivability compared to ranger.

Which of the 2 gives you an easier time in PVE? Especially if you have to do a DE by yourself. What about dungeons?
#2Unit3dPosted 10/3/2012 5:19:35 AM
What's your main?
#3tehdudPosted 10/3/2012 5:20:26 AM
a lot of maps being close to empty, thief would have an easier time i'd say. some skillpoints are impossible to get until more people show. and it can take quite a while before anyone shows.
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#4wildluckPosted 10/3/2012 5:26:42 AM
On Blackgate, people are everywhere and can have a easy 3-4 show up if you ask for help , so stop with the dead BS.

I would do ranger, whole pet thing seem great and wish my main class had one. Otherwise go with the other one.
---
PSN: WilDLucK
Black Ops II & Guild Wars II
#5HaxnStash(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 5:32:38 AM(edited)
Unit3d posted...
What's your main?

Currently, an Asuran Guardian.

tehdud posted...
a lot of maps being close to empty, thief would have an easier time i'd say. some skillpoints are impossible to get until more people show. and it can take quite a while before anyone shows.

Why Thief?

Also, my alt might be an Asuran. I like how they look in trench coats. That, or Charrs. I'd have to look into screenshots on how Charrs look in Trenchcoats.
#6GevaudenPosted 10/3/2012 5:32:59 AM
Thiefs get a pet if u get the Skill forgot it's name something like "Bandit attack" ? The foes steps on it and another Random looking theif comes out and helps u fight for 20 secs and the cooldown is very short so u can keep popping them out and they are very helpful and have they're own personality's since they speak.
---
good, let the hatred flow through you. waste more of your own time. yes...good
#7EternalFlame66Posted 10/3/2012 6:00:31 AM
tag
---
Such is your fate.
#8CaliystiaPosted 10/3/2012 6:13:38 AM
I'm having a blast playing my Norn (shortest possible lol) Thief and playing him like my ranger. I use his Ice worm pet with ambush trap and thieves guild. between those I always have at least one pet out at a time and can get up to 4. It's nice to try different skills in the last slot and mix up the traits. but I'm using shortbow and dual pistols now and its great. For the last skill slot I really like the 25% movement + blind around target signet, caltrops, scorpion wire or the Precision + Endurance signet. Take the Critical Hit line and the Acrobatics line to start, and then whatever after that. now that I'm high enough my pistols have a chance to explode fireballs on crit, and I have unload with fast regening energy and over 60% crit... ranger is fun too but I really like the thief. One of these days I'll go back to messing with D/D.. but so far this is working really well for me.
#9_Shadownite_Posted 10/3/2012 6:27:56 AM
Gevauden posted...
Thiefs get a pet if u get the Skill forgot it's name something like "Bandit attack" ? The foes steps on it and another Random looking theif comes out and helps u fight for 20 secs and the cooldown is very short so u can keep popping them out and they are very helpful and have they're own personality's since they speak.

Some racial skills give you summons as well. Sylvari can get a Fern hound or an Oakheart, Humans get the Hounds of Balthazar, Asura get a Golem, and Norn get an Owl or a Wurm, I don't think the Charr get one though.
#10JeffLamPosted 10/3/2012 6:30:31 AM
Gevauden posted...

Are you talking about the Elite skill Thieves Guild? 'cause that's an awesome skill.