The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This game's story tried to do too much at once...

#1Q_SenseiPosted 10/4/2012 12:25:07 AM
It needed focus, and instead they have 5 races with scattered and mediocre ideas.

I think this game's story would have benefited from some singularity. Not necessarily removing all the races from the game but human, but rather, converging the storylines a bit more so that it could actually have some kind of direction rather than being a careless mess that no sane person would care about.

Additionally, it would have really benefited from one of two things; Either giving you dialog options so it becomes a better single player experience, or it should have been expanded to include your friends in the whole thing.

It just seems like they got like 10 writers together who barely communicated and they were just filling the glass up with whatever liquids they found in the fridge instead of making a fine drink. And to be honest, Pickle Juice doesn't taste good with Ketchup.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#2lilj812Posted 10/4/2012 12:29:26 AM
Q_Sensei posted...
It needed focus, and instead they have 5 races with scattered and mediocre ideas.

I think this game's story would have benefited from some singularity. Not necessarily removing all the races from the game but human, but rather, converging the storylines a bit more so that it could actually have some kind of direction rather than being a careless mess that no sane person would care about.

Additionally, it would have really benefited from one of two things; Either giving you dialog options so it becomes a better single player experience, or it should have been expanded to include your friends in the whole thing.

It just seems like they got like 10 writers together who barely communicated and they were just filling the glass up with whatever liquids they found in the fridge instead of making a fine drink. And to be honest, Pickle Juice doesn't taste good with Ketchup.

Stopped reading there. That's why people call you a troll and that's also why no one can and will take you seriously.
---
Regarding Guild Wars 2, Epic_Bear_Guy posted...
-Even CoD has more strategy than this game. I knew i was skilled in CoD4 when i would wipe out an entire room..
#3digitalwill2000Posted 10/4/2012 12:37:39 AM
Swtor has that, its also a terrible game with literally no lfg system 1 year after launch. Take your pick.
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#4TaijouroukunPosted 10/4/2012 12:49:24 AM
lilj812 posted...
Q_Sensei posted...

Stopped reading there. That's why people call you a troll and that's also why no one can and will take you seriously.

trolling perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that he is right here. the story is pretty bad, far worse than gw1.

first we got our story with the destiny's edge characters. that leads to nowhere as we just end up with an order. we play a couple of story with the order, and that went nowhere because they just form the pact. all the characters relation we develop before are meaningless because they just disappear in the story. i wanted to care about the characters in the game, but just when i started to care, they stop existing!!!
#5digitalwill2000Posted 10/4/2012 12:53:03 AM(edited)
Taijouroukun posted...
lilj812 posted...
Q_Sensei posted...

trolling perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that he is right here. the story is pretty bad, far worse than gw1.

first we got our story with the destiny's edge characters. that leads to nowhere as we just end up with an order. we play a couple of story with the order, and that went nowhere because they just form the pact. all the characters relation we develop before are meaningless because they just disappear in the story. i wanted to care about the characters in the game, but just when i started to care, they stop existing!!!

Stop existing? Oh PhEW i thought you meant they died or something, because that would have been an epic spoiler. 'Stop existing' on the other hand has sooooomany variation of meanings...........
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#6Shatter123Posted 10/4/2012 1:35:52 AM
"when its ready" haha
#7James43090Posted 10/4/2012 2:37:39 AM
They could really save the story for a lot of people if they add Mhenlo and Togo back as major characters.
#8Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 6:40:18 AM
lilj812 posted...

Maybe if you're easily offended and have never been on the Internet before....

But I challenge you, how has this story affected you? Can you give me a coherent outline that makes sense?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#9Darth_TyrranusPosted 10/4/2012 7:14:00 AM(edited)
I have to somewhat agree with the TC.
I have a few problems with the story. First, it is much more difficult to understand the story if you haven't read Destiny's Edge. It is unreasonable for Arenanet to expect people to have read this book beforehand, especially considering how poorly the book was written.

Second, the story has very poor flow. Basically, from level 0-10, you will have one short storyline, and then when you get to level 11-20, you are whisked away to another often totally unrelated storyline. This repeats in levels 21-30, 31-40, and so on, although it isn't quite so discontinuous towards the latter half of the game. While each 10 level storyline is a good story in and of itself, as a whole it is very choppy, and as such, was very frustrating for me.

Third, much of the game relies on backstory from Guild Wars 1. While I was a long time player of Guild Wars 1, I realize that many others are not, so they really cannot appreciate some major parts of the story. (i.e. anything in Ascalon) Unlike the other two, I don't think this is a major detracting point though.

Also, to the person who suggested bring in Togo and Mhenlo, that would be a really horrible idea. How much of the original game did you actually play? First of all, Togo died at the end of Factions, so his return is flat out impossible. Second, it has been 250 years since the events of Guild Wars 1, so likewise, Mhenlo is probably also dead. Bringing him back would just be sheer fan service.
---
"Because I don't support the false contraceptions that you're spewing" -demonfang178
#10Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 11:41:33 PM
Shatter123 posted...
"when its ready" haha

Yeah, the bugs alone tell me that it wasn't ready...

I don't think the story would have ever gotten there though, their writers aren't very good.
---