This game slows down my computer by a ridiculous amount...

#11JeffLamPosted 10/4/2012 1:30:11 PM
EternalNether posted...
The hard drive thing might be it. I have an SSD that I use for my OS and a few other things. And a 1TB HDD. My SSD is where my GW2 client is located, and it's only got about 3% space left on it. My HDD has about 45% of its space remaining.

Dear lord. Yes. That is definitely the problem, haha. XD

It's possible to put your page file on the other drive, but then you'd be missing the point of having an SSD, since Win7 will constantly be accessing it.
#12EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 1:33:32 PM
JeffLam posted...
EternalNether posted...
The hard drive thing might be it. I have an SSD that I use for my OS and a few other things. And a 1TB HDD. My SSD is where my GW2 client is located, and it's only got about 3% space left on it. My HDD has about 45% of its space remaining.

It's possible to put your page file on the other drive, but then you'd be missing the point of having an SSD, since Win7 will constantly be accessing it.

I'll fix this problem right now. You sir, are a lifesaver. Honestly the only reason I put GW2 on the SSD was to cut down on load times, but it doesn't seem to do much, most likely because it's not a normal game.
---
Currently Anticipating: Shenmue 3 ...Oh wait
#13CaliberChampPosted 10/4/2012 1:42:10 PM
If you have a bad hard external hard drive that can be the problem. Something similar happened to me with the first gw. Then I downloaded gw on my main hard drive and everything was perfect.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Unrecommended games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, FF14, SFxT,
#14HydroCannabinolPosted 10/4/2012 1:47:44 PM
JeffLam posted...
EternalNether posted...

Horrible advice. Youre SUPPOSED to take your page file off of the ssd...
---
PSN: Mind Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#15EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 1:57:51 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
JeffLam posted...
EternalNether posted...

I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or not but for future reference and so I can expand my knowledge of computer software, how does one go about doing that?
---
Currently Anticipating: Shenmue 3 ...Oh wait
#16HydroCannabinolPosted 10/4/2012 5:41:34 PM
EternalNether posted...
JeffLam posted...
EternalNether posted...

I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or not but for future reference and so I can expand my knowledge of computer software, how does one go about doing that?

Google bro... and if you were smart you would do it. By leaving the pagefile on the SSD it will wear it by adding excessive reads and writes for no reason. Your PC shouldn't really be using the pagefile anyways but I believe disabling it is bad because Windows requires a PF for certain processes or some crap IIRC.

Look it up.
---
PSN: Mind Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#17pies12Posted 10/4/2012 6:31:45 PM
JeffLam posted...
bluezero posted...
I have your specs and run the game great at 1920 x 1080.

Me too - though I have a 1400W PSU.

One facepalm isn't enough for this level of stupid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA06Z5e1ZFc
---
"Obviously it was the most epic bubble hearth of all time."
~FalcownPAUNCH on Dalaran being moved to Northrend.
#18JeffLamPosted 10/5/2012 1:11:18 PM
pies12 posted...
One facepalm isn't enough for this level of stupid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA06Z5e1ZFc

Eh, it powers a multitude of fans and the liquid cooling pump and such - I have a HP Blackbird 002 LC. I was running two video cards (SLi) at the time. The 70 pound aluminum case includes a "foot" so that the bulk is elevated for airflow under the chassis - still ran way too hot with the two cards though.

Hmm... I hadn't considered that aspect of flash memory, but Google tells me that the R/W is no longer a concern - it'll still last years.

Quickly double-checking my admittedly old knowledge provides more details (Win7 specific):
If you have one drive, the page file should be equal to your RAM (or your RAM+300MB).
If you have more than one drive, and the secondary drives are of comparable speed to the primary drive, then the primary drive should have a minimum 300MB page file, and the secondary drives should have page files totaling your RAM.

That's what I was thinking of - the access speed difference between the SSD and his storage drive will be pretty dang vast. My own primary is 10,000rpm, while my storage is 5400rpm (and at 2TB with 5400rpm, it really is just for storage). I only have the one page file on my primary drive.