The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Anone else feel like MMOs have gotten prgressively worse over the years?

#1solosnakePosted 10/4/2012 11:00:42 PM
Started with greats like UO, DAOC, devolved to EQ, FFXI then devolved to WoW, now weve devolved again into GW2.

It just seems like the genre is getting worse over the years rather than better, like the whole industry is headed in the wrong direction.

Anyone else feel the same?
---
"Even if a pawn becomes a queen, it's still just a playing piece."
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8953172273825999151
#2boktai3Posted 10/4/2012 11:02:41 PM
i knew this was a troll topic the moment you added the FF "mmo"
#3xtakedaPosted 10/4/2012 11:04:46 PM
Nope I love gw2. And I never played p2p mmos only those korean f2p ones and Guildwars 1
#4kppgnoPosted 10/4/2012 11:05:57 PM
I hope companies learn from ArenaNet.
#5kamikaze135Posted 10/4/2012 11:09:17 PM
It's because they are now catering to the casual market. It's become too easy to hit level cap and rather than have genuinely difficult content that act as a time sink, we have ridiculously repetitive, but easy, content that act as time sinks.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#6Chibi_personPosted 10/4/2012 11:09:36 PM
boktai3 posted...
i knew this was a troll topic the moment you added the FF "mmo"

FFXI was amazing.
---
Empire! Empire! (I was a lonely estate)
#7Crimson_SpiderPosted 10/4/2012 11:09:46 PM
Actually no, I don't think MMOs have gotten progressively worse over the years. They've gotten better as a whole, since by design they have no figured out what works and what doesn't work anymore. Now we no longer have such archaic systems as losing everything on death and mandatory teaming.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.
#8CruxisInhibitorPosted 10/4/2012 11:52:31 PM
Crimson_Spider posted...
Actually no, I don't think MMOs have gotten progressively worse over the years. They've gotten better as a whole, since by design they have no figured out what works and what doesn't work anymore. Now we no longer have such archaic systems as losing everything on death and mandatory teaming.

Structure that requires grouping is not a bad thing and it adds to depth...the lack of it is why everyone just spams skills and DPS with no rhyme or reason in GW2. It's why you just revive people and keep on chugging, smashing the same 5 buttons all day long thinking that you have so much customization and depth at your fingertips. I'm glad for ArenaNet though, they really found a way to tap into that Angry Birds Gamer market that is a cash cow for cash shop models due to low IQ scores. They really hit home with GW1 and they deserve to be successful even if they did sell out a good majority of their fans.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#9iLLiE586Posted 10/5/2012 12:15:25 AM
MMO's went into the dumpster with WoW and it bringing MMO's into the mainstream.

I don't agree with FF though, that game was always terribly bland.
#10havok718Posted 10/5/2012 12:22:39 AM
It's all subjective of course. Would you play EQ today? I mean it didnt even have a map. Players had to draw their own maps. You used to print out maps other players made then run around trying to recognize landmarks and spamming /loc while dodging level 50 mobs in level 20 zones. In a way it was cool, and in a way it was tedious as hell. You'd literally spend an entire day just running from one side of the world to the other. Whatever you wanted to do would have to wait until the next day.

Your average non-hardcore gamer who just wants to do some leisurely gaming probably wouldn't care for any of the old unforgiving grindfests.