Anone else feel like MMOs have gotten prgressively worse over the years?

#31EtharinPosted 10/5/2012 7:50:24 AM
I wouldn't say they have gotten worse but certainly without a doubt much more simplified(dumbed down) in both gameplay and RPG elements. It's not even just a trend for MMORPGs but almost all modern RPGs compared to those of the past.

The game development industry is just trying to market games to the newer age market that doesn't want to be bothered with stats or rich, deep, and meaningful storylines or game mechanics that take more than a few moments to master. They don't really want RPG's they really just want action games with a poorly written and childlike story attached to it that they never have to interact with outside of a cutscene or NPC retelling it like a bedtime story to them.

But that's what the RPG genre has devolved into and what everyone is going to have to accept.
#32HypereiaPosted 10/5/2012 7:51:07 AM
Melon_Master posted...
boktai3 posted...
i knew this was a troll topic the moment you added the FF "mmo"

FFXI was amazing.

This. ^^^

Aye, during it's prime, FFXI was one of if not the best MMO I've ever played.
---
Steam/BF3: Hypereia | FFXIV: Valroque Allard (Excalibur)
i7 3820 (G1.ASSASSIN2) | GTX 680 | 16GB DDR3 | Sandisk Ext.
#33bremenPosted 10/5/2012 7:58:59 AM
DxEntity posted...
Melon_Master posted...
boktai3 posted...
i knew this was a troll topic the moment you added the FF "mmo"

FFXI was amazing.

This. ^^^

Aye, during it's prime, FFXI was one of if not the best MMO I've ever played.

Agreed.

10/10 (in it's prime, not that trash it is now).
---
jedinat - Which sets you at a distinct advantage... over no one.
#34OkikurmiPosted 10/5/2012 8:05:21 AM
While FFXI isnt as good as it once was i wouldnt say its bad now. I plan to go back to it with the new expansion next year. although how long i will stay i dont know.
---
I...am...Alexander. Tremble...before me... Worship...my greatness... I shall ascend to the heavens...
#35HypereiaPosted 10/5/2012 8:11:46 AM
Okikurmi posted...
While FFXI isnt as good as it once was i wouldnt say its bad now. I plan to go back to it with the new expansion next year. although how long i will stay i dont know.

FFXI now is a shadow of what it once was. Abyssea pretty much put the nail in the coffin, not that it already wasn't hurting.

Say, can you still key whore your jobs from 30-75 now? That pretty much killed the game for me, and made most zones empty as ****.
---
Steam/BF3: Hypereia | FFXIV: Valroque Allard (Excalibur)
i7 3820 (G1.ASSASSIN2) | GTX 680 | 16GB DDR3 | Sandisk Ext.
#36bremenPosted 10/5/2012 8:20:42 AM
I agree, poor FFXI. I pretty much quit the day they took my hard earned Armada Hauberk and Hecatomb Cap and tossed them over the rail giving people better gear for simply logging on. Sorry, time to move on. Have fun playing Final EZCasual XI.
---
jedinat - Which sets you at a distinct advantage... over no one.
#37daedricdeath121Posted 10/5/2012 10:02:09 AM
WoW is still king
#38FaYt2021Posted 10/5/2012 10:12:06 AM
solosnake posted...
Started with greats like UO, DAOC, devolved to EQ, FFXI then devolved to WoW, now weve devolved again into GW2.

It just seems like the genre is getting worse over the years rather than better, like the whole industry is headed in the wrong direction.

Anyone else feel the same?

A single game represents the state of a genre? That's how the mind of a foolish sheep thinks. We have many options that do MMO's differently, don't follow the fotm MMO if you don't want to. What's stopping you from playing UO or DAoC besides your eagerness to b****?
---
"Hey, at least we're not EA!" - Bethesda PR
#39NCPwnPosted 10/5/2012 10:13:56 AM
I agree TC.

I think GW2 finally burnt me out on the genre. I still try and play it, since I spent the coin on the game, but find myself enjoying small PSN titles at the moment. Maybe I'll give it some more time come December and I get my 3 week vacation from work.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#40FelhadPosted 10/5/2012 11:29:48 AM
Lino82 posted...
Curious how DAoC devolved into EQ, as the latter predates the former by a good 2 years.

Thank you, was about to post the same thing. And EverQuest is awesome, definitely at the top of the list for classic MMOs IMO.
---
GT - VibronicLemon
Wii - Felhad, 8424 3648 2424 8240