The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Guild Wars 2 Biggest Weakness

#1IndigoIcePosted 10/5/2012 9:23:01 AM
I've been playing GW2 since the 3-days headstart.
I've written good reviews about it for the first 2 weeks.
It's time for me to feedback it's major flaws after playing it for 2 months.

Despite it being a great game, there's a big weakness.
It severely lacks "addictive feature".

After sometimes, it doesn't make me anticipate to play GW2 the next day. In many good mmorpgs, we would keep thinking about the game while eating lunch or before you sleep. We have a strong desire to play the game. GW2 lacks that severely.

What's causing this is the lack of "competitiveness" in GW2.

1) Those who played several mmorpgs would know this. How many of us compared level with our friends or guildmates in typical mmo? The desire to overtake our guildmates and used that as a source of motivation to level up higher? GW2 lacks this. In GW2, it does not matter whether you're Lv10 or Lv50. You would fare the same in a Lv10 dunguen as a Lv50 player. You won't feel superior or stronger. You feel less special.

2) How many of us compare equipments and stats with each other? If we crafted, enhanced and chip an equipment with nice stats, it make us feel special. It makes us feel happy that we're able to be a juggernaut in a lower level dunguen. Good equipments are what give people motivations to farm and enhance. GW2 doesn't have this. GW2 doesn't have an equipment enhance system to "+ stats" too. Whether you're carrying an common or epic equipment, you're more or less the same. It becomes less rewarding. This utopia-like concept where "every player is the same" won't give any motivations for players to compete. No one will feel special or like a winner. No one feels like getting a legendary equipment because there's no such thing as a "godly equipment" in GW2. What's more, you can't see what other players are equiping. It won't matter if you have an epic equipment because no one else look at you. You only brag around the equipments' skin, which is not enough.

3) Guilds. GW2 is the first game where I feel that guilds have no benefits. When I first heard the title, I thought it's going to emphasize in war between guilds. No, it's just world vs world where you play with people who never meet before. There's no reason for me to be in a guild. I do have few guilds but I have no loyalty for any of them. This is because we can join as many guilds as we want. There's no sense of belonging to a single guild. In typical mmo, the reason why guilds are fun is because we share loyalty in one guild and compete with other guilds. We can have guild wars to conquer maps, raid boss and compete with other guilds for the loots. When our guild gets the loot, we feel happy. When our guild couldn't get the loot, we try harder next time. Those are the happy memories of mmo I played. There's no "cause" in guilds.

4) No pk system. I understand that only some mmo have pk system. In an open-world like GW2, I don't understand why they exclude the pk system. What's more, everyone is leveled down in field maps. There won't be overpowered PK'er. They lost this opportunity in GW2. The reason why PK system is fun is whether you become the PK'er or the one who kills the PK. It gives the thrill whether you're the PK'er or not.

5) Raids. It's severely lacking. We only have dunguen runs and those dynamic events champion monster. Dunguen run only consist of 5 people and not even considered a raid. Dynamic events are very random and you kill it with strangers who happened to be nearby you. The lack of raid system is also one of the cause for point 3 (guild) above. No one will find guild beneficial because guilds don't have any raids in the first place.

I listed down some flaws and weaknesses of this game.
These flaws I pointed out are the ones that make players feel,
"I can continue this game another week" instead of, "I can't to wait to play the game after school/work!".

Let's hear yours too.
#2KaitoIcarusPosted 10/5/2012 9:24:51 AM
Oh no, the game isn't like WoW. Quick, everyone! Grab a flamethrower kit!
---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
#3mrich528Posted 10/5/2012 9:30:57 AM
GW2 board should be split. Reviews from people, and forums to post for game related information, help, discussion, etc.

Oh wait, they already have that...

Please post reviews in review section.
---
Current games: GW2: CaptainBojangles. Steam (CSS,TF2,L4D2): randy marsh, LoL: CaptainBojangles
#4boktai3Posted 10/5/2012 9:40:23 AM(edited)
1) incorrect on the first one, went into a dungeon with a lvl 30, a lvl 50 and a lvl 80, as you know, you scale to 30, the level 50 does about 15-25% more damage, you are just flat out stronger thanks to your gear, checked with the 80, he was flat out doing more then me, but he didn't have all his values so i don't know the exact number.

2) i don't see how a flat +5 damage enchant makes the gear special, how is that any different then the glyphs we get to enhance our gear with "every kill get +5 power." i suppose i should add, the reason to farm gear is not based on stats, everyone can find that anywhere, it's based on looks, just like in the first game, which many people liked, having the sword eternity because it looks good and you worked hard for it is the carrot on the stick for players of the game, not because it gives an extra 2 dps.

3)your own fault, it's called guild wars based on it's lore, though wvw ends up guild wars a lot between important servers. the loyalty to a guild is if you like the members or not, nothing more, that's how it should be

4)not a ganker heaven game, there has not been many of those for years, even wow has the option to join a non gank server. also players will have the advantage thanks to gear, which does not scale down.

5) dungeons are considered raids, a raid it a group of people working with each other to the same goal, which is how dungeons function.
#5ZBEPosted 10/5/2012 9:47:52 AM
It severely lacks "addictive feature".

Put that on the box:) It's a good thing.
#6IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 9:48:02 AM
Well, I never played WOW before so I wouldn't know.
The mmo I played in the past are MS, RS, DN, and GE.

I'm neither a GW2 fanboy nor hater.
In fact, I love GW2 but worrying about these major weakness of this game.
The game doesn't have an addictive feature that is important to sustain players in long run.

This isn't only my opinion but opinions of many people who have felt the same way as I do after playing for a month. Me and my friends were quite impress with GW2 for the first week. The new concept of the game made it fresh and fun. After awhile, it felt less rewarding. The new concept mmo that GW2 has presented started to feel like a double-edge sword. The "double-edged" against players is the lack of this feeling of "competition" to motivate players to achieve something in the game.
#7KirynTheClericPosted 10/5/2012 10:04:02 AM
"Addictive feature" is mostly opinion. I find this game very addicting...
---
"And at what point did you decide to stay on the forums? I don't get that mentality but some people don't have better things to do." - Nofoundation.
#8NCPwnPosted 10/5/2012 10:06:34 AM
I love how it takes people 2 months sometimes to realize complaints and criticisms, many of us have been saying since only a few hours of gameplay. I guess everyone has a different burn out period.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#9MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/5/2012 10:10:57 AM
KirynTheCleric posted...
"Addictive feature" is mostly opinion. I find this game very addicting...

A variable rewards schedule is always addicting (random loot drops). Think diablo 2 or gambling.

Gw2 really deemphasizes this.
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#10IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 10:27:30 AM
boktai3 posted...
1) incorrect on the first one, went into a dungeon with a lvl 30, a lvl 50 and a lvl 80, as you know, you scale to 30, the level 50 does about 15-25% more damage, you are just flat out stronger thanks to your gear, checked with the 80, he was flat out doing more then me, but he didn't have all his values so i don't know the exact number.

2) i don't see how a flat +5 damage enchant makes the gear special, how is that any different then the glyphs we get to enhance our gear with "every kill get +5 power." i suppose i should add, the reason to farm gear is not based on stats, everyone can find that anywhere, it's based on looks, just like in the first game, which many people liked, having the sword eternity because it looks good and you worked hard for it is the carrot on the stick for players of the game, not because it gives an extra 2 dps.

3)your own fault, it's called guild wars based on it's lore, though wvw ends up guild wars a lot between important servers. the loyalty to a guild is if you like the members or not, nothing more, that's how it should be

4)not a ganker heaven game, there has not been many of those for years, even wow has the option to join a non gank server. also players will have the advantage thanks to gear, which does not scale down.

5) dungeons are considered raids, a raid it a group of people working with each other to the same goal, which is how dungeons function.

1) Yes, there's still few advantage of being higher levels like traits and higher level equipments. But, it can be ackward for a Lv80 to die in a Lv10 area. Being higher level refrain players from feeling superior than the lower level mobs. The "lack rewards" is from there.

2) In many mmo, there's two kind of strengthening equipments. One is enhancement (Increasing the stats of the eqs. During the process, the equipment can break if we don't use any booster. Therefore, enhancement is a gamble and addictive.). The other is enchantment (putting in chips/runes/sigils for the extra effects or stats). GW doesn't have enhancement at all. I guess it's to refrain players from having any godly equipments (utopia-fairness concept). The double-edged part is, it refrains ambitious players to feel special.

3) Well, that's the problem. If the loyalty to the guild is only because we like the members or not, there won't be guild bonding developments and sense of belonging. A guild should be something which have a "cause" and face challenges in the mmo world together. People get happiness and good memories if work in the same organisation and face hard times together. If a player enter a guild, he feel proud to be in that guild. That's what a guild should be.

4) Yes, in most game, players will have an advatage due to gear and level. It's one reason some mmo couldn't fit in pk system. However in GW2, every players are close to each other in levels and equipments. A fine eq doesn't have much difference than an epic eq. Everyone is level'ed down. Therefore, it's a waste they didn't include pk system since the game system is adjusted in this manner.

5) You have a point in this but 5-person raid doesn't give the same feeling as 30-players raid. It would've been better if the dunguen raids are in larger scale and can fit in 30-players. Then, the game can level-up or down the mobs difficulty to the amount of players in the instanced raid. There should be better system such as "the more people who join the raid, the better the loots become". This helps promote "guild cause". Currently, guild members doesn't have much activities they can do together since we can play with random strangers in same map easily. It's easy to get 5 party members and no reason to find in guild.